Roast The Selection of John McCarthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't too concerned that we lost today, and I'm not going to get into the side too much, but one glaring thing stood out all day.

HOW THE **** DID JOHN McCARTHY GET A GAME?

McCarthy's stats;

6 kicks
5 handballs
1 mark
1 tackle (WTF)
Disposal Efficiency of 64%
1 point (which a 90 year old man could have kicked)

Simply put, we had 21 players the moment we ran out today.

We have better options, Medhurst, Lockyer, Anthony (as a forward), yet once again we select a player who has never been up to AFL senior standard, and most probably never will.

/END RANT.:(:mad:

they rate him and his VFL form has been good.

They wanted to get one AFL game into him now, just in case injuries strike and we need him in finals. That way he had a chance to try and pick up the pace of the game.

Purely just a tactical inclusion in case of emergency

they rate him and his VFL form has been good.

They wanted to get one AFL game into him now, just in case injuries strike and we need him in finals. That way he had a chance to try and pick up the pace of the game.

Purely just a tactical inclusion in case of emergency

He was really good for the past few weeks in the VFL apparently, tearing it up. He had a stinker but based on his VFL form he deserved a shot. Unfortunately, that's it for him. Medhurst had one shot, Anthony had one shot, and so should McCarthy.

DISAGREE! Spent the game tagging players. Beautiful kick, great pace just needs to get more game time at AFL level. For many of those who have a poor memory just rewind the tapes back to the 2008 where he played 7 brilliant games before we lost out of the finals.

His inclusion was warrented due to the form at VFL but Medhurst should have come in. great thing retrospective is, isn't it!

He's been playing very well in the VFL for a while and this game was a dead rubber against a quality side so he was given a chance to show something. Unfortunately he didn't show much today but he's still young.

He did not deserve a shot, he hasn't been up to it at AFL level for two years, Medhurst had a better game in the VFL last week.
He played one game for the year and was crap even then, dumbest decision by MM for a long time :mad:

Nah I see where the clubs coming from. They really rate him. A couple of beautiful kiks today looked fantastic! However I still think he's been brought in too late as a possibe selection for finals footy and I agree, medhurst would have probably been a better replacement. Argh well. It was a nothing game and we learnt our kids can't take it to the big boys... Yet

Agree with timmy.

For me it's not a knock on the kid to say he's not at afl standard this season and that he won't be a factor at all come finals

mm talks about leaving players in the twos for so long that they adjust to the pace and it's hard to come back to afl level.

An unnecessary choice this week and considering players like medders, whose barely had a chance, and guys like Buckley/Rounds haven't seen senior footy this season despite thier good form, it makes this decision more puzzling.

Did jmac cost us the game, no

do I think that medders was the better option? Absolutely streets ahead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mind you I don't watch much of the reserves but I don't understand what people see in him.

He hasn't grabbed the opportunity whenever he has been elevated in the seniors. Look at Blair on the other hand. Has come in and blown all the other fringe players away.

This was meant to be one of those masterstroke selections by MM and the match committee whereas in fact it was a rubbish selection. Not only was it confidence sapping for J-Mac it did nothing to help in our finals preparations.

In other words it was a f****n joke.

I don't think it was a bad one. His form at VFL level has been very good and he hasn't had an opportunity since earlier in the year so he did deserve a tryout of sorts, but he would have had to have been a standout.

I wouldn't play him in the finals and right now have a good 4-5 guys ahead of him for a place right now (Davis, Medhurst, N.Brown, Josh possibly Jack) - on the assumption that Blair + Goldsack are still in along with all the others..

Davis would right now would have to be my 1st emg before Medhurst/ others and would probably be trying to take Blair's spot. Blair I like in the midfield but up forward he simply isn't all that good. I'd really put him in the primary midfield rotation and give Sidebottom, Beams possibly even Didak or Thomas more time up forward instead. Pendlebury for the briefest periods perhaps. But if Davis comes into the team then it just means one less player in the midfield rotation with another perminant small forward which structurally makes sense. But not so sure I'd rate him ahead of Blair.

was picked solely to protect other players from injury.

Lets hope so cos if something like this is tried again in the finals there will be blood in MM's hands.

Still seathing Medhurst wasnt given another chance. WTF can you prove in 1 one game given hes been in the 2's for so long (same for J-Mac).

Stats can be misleading.

I've seen Presti rack up lesser stats and virtually win the game.

Having said that; did McCarthy play today?

Dead rubber, he had been dominating the twos.

I think Medhurst's return senior game clearly showed rust, and we just needed another player ( now with very recent senior experience) to call on for depth if required.

I think he did spend a lot of time tagging, which rarely makes you look great, but some of his touches were class.

This was meant to be one of those masterstroke selections by MM and the match committee whereas in fact it was a rubbish selection. Not only was it confidence sapping for J-Mac it did nothing to help in our finals preparations.

In other words it was a f****n joke.

What it actually was, was a chance to test some likely selections who showed a lot in the VFL side, with absolutely no risk.

Apart from a few wasteful shots it would have come in a win.

We lost, it was a waste....but there is no reason to go to town on it.:thumbsdown:

I've seen Presti rack up lesser stats and virtually win the game.

Having said that; did McCarthy play today?

If Presti played today we would have won the game - not that important though. You cant replace a Prestigiacomo. Our backline looks much more solid when hes at FB.

As has been mentioned, it's probably important to be giving players a taste of AFL action every now and then, particularly midfielders. Tagging an elite midfielder would've been a great lesson for McCarthy, and we don't get the opportunity to do it in a dead rubber very often.

Over reaction imo.

What it actually was, was a chance to test some likely selections who showed a lot in the VFL side, with absolutely no risk.

Apart from a few wasteful shots it would have come in a win.

We lost, it was a waste....but there is no reason to go to town on it.:thumbsdown:

Im not too fussed that we lost. But Im fussed about rubbish selections - whoever it may be.

Agree 100%. Like the boy and hope he finds the next gear he needs to step into AFL but Medhurst is a no brainer. Even if he is leaving us at years end I'm all for giving him games cause the fact is he can play and can hurt teams. Proven performer. Still, last game for jmac for 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back