The Selfie Stick - sign of our times?

Remove this Banner Ad

A friend of mine was having dinner with two other friends (a couple) and they started talking to him about 'selfies' and how many they take of themselves. He put down his cutlery and just walked out of the restaurant without saying a word and then defriended them from his Facebook immediately. When the chick called him and said 'Why did you just walk out? That was pretty rude', he said 'I don't associate with 8 year old girls talking about s**t like selfies'

I wish I could do something like that. I'm sick of all this goofy childish 'selfie' and 'hashtag' me-me-me s**t

It's repellent and quite sad.

Yeah whats wrong with selfies? Ill be in areas on my own on my trip, and I will want some photos in front of some things that may not have others near by. So to take a photo of myself there, ill take a selfie. Hardly the act of an "8 year old girl".

Your friend sounds foolish.

Unless thats his excuse to do a dine and dash, then he is winrar.

Yeah whats wrong with selfies? Ill be in areas on my own on my trip, and I will want some photos in front of some things that may not have others near by. So to take a photo of myself there, ill take a selfie. Hardly the act of an "8 year old girl".

Your friend sounds foolish.

Unless thats his excuse to do a dine and dash, then he is winrar.

Do you also call your blanket your 'blankie'? If you use the word 'selfie' and partake in such idiotic narcissistic nonsense you are an eight-year old girl or a highly effete male

do you talk about how often you take them?

A friend of mine was having dinner with two other friends (a couple) and they started talking to him about 'selfies' and how many they take of themselves. He put down his cutlery and just walked out of the restaurant without saying a word and then defriended them from his Facebook immediately. When the chick called him and said 'Why did you just walk out? That was pretty rude', he said 'I don't associate with 8 year old girls talking about s**t like selfies'

Your friend sounds like a nutjob.

I wish I could do something like that. I'm sick of all this goofy childish 'selfie' and 'hashtag' me-me-me s**t

It's repellent and quite sad.

The irony of a selfie issue. .eg look at me versus defriending them on fbook..eg look at me

Really no different than tourists asking people to take a photo of them, which has been happening for decades.

Exactly. I don't get the hyperbole here. There are plenty of legitimate examples of how sad our society can be, so why focus on something irrelevant, other than to show how much of a snob you can be?

Ironically enough, bringing up this example as a sign of our times against all the other s**t, in itself, a sign of the times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason people see this as a sign of the times is because the Internet is the sign of the times.

The notion of vanity, of mirrors and makeup and dressing up and painters doing self-portraits is so old that it's a part of the human culture and condition. If they had internet access and front facing cameras in 1976, people would be taking photos of themselves and sharing it in the way we do. We just have the channel to demonstrate things all humans have always felt and want to express.

Number of people hurt by selfies in history: 0.

http://www.ibtimes.com/deadly-selfi...le-vacationing-portugal-latest-selfie-1655322

The deaths represent the latest cautionary tale in a growing number of selfie-related fatalities. Earlier this month, a Mexico City man accidentally killed himself while posing for a selfie with a gun. Local police said the man, Oscar Aguilar, did not know the gun was loaded and had intended to post the selfie on Facebook. In June, an Italian teenager fell 60 feet to her death after she tried to take a selfie while on a beach trip. In April, a Russian teenager fell to her death after trying to take a selfie from a railway bridge. In March, a 21-year-old Spanish man died after he was struck by a high-voltage wire while climbing atop a train to snap a picture of himself, according to The Week.

I can see the ''Selfie Stick" doubling as an "Upskirt Stick".
How long until a cop shoots someone who is wielding a selfie stick, for their own protection?

The only reason people see this as a sign of the times is because the Internet is the sign of the times.

The notion of vanity, of mirrors and makeup and dressing up and painters doing self-portraits is so old that it's a part of the human culture and condition. If they had internet access and front facing cameras in 1976, people would be taking photos of themselves and sharing it in the way we do. We just have the channel to demonstrate things all humans have always felt and want to express.

No you're wrong. Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus invented vanity and narcissism in the year 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back