The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO, Selwood's legacy will always be tainted by his method of drawing free kicks.

He is and will be remembered as a great player as he should be. The media love fest over him will always see to that, so no worries there...

Geelong fans can bleat, deflect and defend him all they want (as they have been blindly doing for years); he has played for free kicks his entire career and neautral fans will always remember him for that unfortunately. Like Matty Lloyd has now admitted, despite all of his exploits, his reputation in the game will always be 'tarnished' by his diving. Selwood will be the same.
If it were soccer, he'd be considered a notorious cheat.

I blame the umpires the most though. To consistently get conned by the conman.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think you continue to miss the point.

He raises the tacklers arms wrapped around him and pushes it up causing them to get him high. Is this ducking?? Nope. If he had his knees bent or not bent, would it alter the outcome?? Nope.

If he had his knee slightly bent or not and from the laughable images people post its a very small bend to the point you cant even tell the differencd between changing direction or just bracing yourself firmly for contact.

Whether the knee bends is quite irrelevant at all to the arm raise in his technique. I would say from watching it for oven ten years that he is simply bracing himself for contact and planting himself to the ground when he does it. It doesnt result at all in thr high contact ever in his action. Its all the arm shrug and roll.

Have a look at paul puopolo for an example of an actual ducking motion which causes high contact
Sorry to trigger you....All I was pointing out is that Selwood himself has conceded that he ducks and tries to get free kicks. ie:

“You can talk about the whole thing that I duck but I do it to the rules at the moment and I will continue to do it until they get changed.”

It's patently obvious that he knows what he does. You have chosen to ignore what he has actually admitted to. You can continue to try and argue the point, but that is your opinion and not the fact that Selwood has said that he does it.

lol. Otherwise fair tackle?

as soon as it becomes a not fair tackle, it’s not a fair tackle. The otherwise is completely irrelevant
lol. Otherwise fair tackle?

as soon as it becomes a not fair tackle, it’s not a fair tackle. The otherwise is completely irrelevant

This is embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for you and I don’t know you. You are promoting cheating as a desirable tactic.

The sad thing is that an otherwise great player will always be remembered as a cheat, because that is what he is.
The even sadder thing is that by the time he is fifty, he won’t remember much at all, because of his play.

This is embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for you and I don’t know you. You are promoting cheating as a desirable tactic.

The sad thing is that an otherwise great player will always be remembered as a cheat, because that is what he is.
The even sadder thing is that by the time he is fifty, he won’t remember much at all, because of his play.

I’m sure he’ll be most offended you feel this way and will have a far harder time dealing with that fact than you will have dealing with your feelings on the issue

how is it cheating if he breaks a tackle? Is a fend off cheating?

If the purpose of the action to draw a free kick is to get a free kick, it’s cheating. As I said earlier, this whole thread is populated by Geelong fans in denial. Must be something about living in the cloaca of Australia.

If the purpose of the action to draw a free kick is to get a free kick, it’s cheating. As I said earlier, this whole thread is populated by Geelong fans in denial. Must be something about living in the cloaca of Australia.
Even if he only does it to receive a free. I think you need to look up the definition of cheating

What should the penalty be, suspension?
A free for cheating.
Back to Selweed though, he should've stopped the crap a long time back when he first started getting called out on it, Shuey was doing the same thing but removed it from his game when he realized it was a really bad look and would probably taint his career if he'd kept doing it.
You can call it whatever you like and hide behind excuses but it's cheating, Selwood knows it, the players and coaches know it, so does the public.
It's just that blatant.

That is gold!

Is he some sort of genetic mutant that make his neck non-existent so that the tacklers arm continues on its path without collecting him in the neck!?

I mean, if hisintention is to break the tackle, why is he continually directing the tackling arm towards his head?
Are you suggesting instead of trying to slip under it he should leap over it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, Selwood's legacy will always be tainted by his method of drawing free kicks.

He is and will be remembered as a great player as he should be. The media love fest over him will always see to that, so no worries there...

Geelong fans can bleat, deflect and defend him all they want (as they have been blindly doing for years); he has played for free kicks his entire career and neautral fans will always remember him for that unfortunately. Like Matty Lloyd has now admitted, despite all of his exploits, his reputation in the game will always be 'tarnished' by his diving. Selwood will be the same.

I agree. Its not a zero sum game though. I'll remember him as the above but also as an excellent player and leader.

BigFooty tiffs and belligerent Cats fans aside, its just a terrible look for the game and this is why it gets so many fans riles up. I mean look at the way Cats fans can't stand Puopolo for regularly doing the same thing, it pisses off ALL footy fans when they see a free conceded using this method.

Sure, its clearly within the rules, doesn't mean people have to like it though.

Its possible to respect him as a person and a player and at the same time, call him out on his style of drawing frees.

How often does he 'break the tackle' doing it? The intention of the action is to draw a free kick, which is his way of cheating the system.

A free for cheating.
Back to Selweed though, he should've stopped the crap a long time back when he first started getting called out on it, Shuey was doing the same thing but removed it from his game when he realized it was a really bad look and would probably taint his career if he'd kept doing it.
You can call it whatever you like and hide behind excuses but it's cheating, Selwood knows it, the players and coaches know it, so does the public.
It's just that blatant.
So what other actions that causes players to normally give away free kicks now be reversed?
pushing arms down to cause tripping
How often does he 'break the tackle' doing it? The intention of the action is to draw a free kick, which is his way of cheating the system.
most times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back