The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
View attachment 772848
Has a stat that covers the last 10 seasons, complains that the players that played the most games in that period are represented in the top 10.

possibly the most idiotic comment I have seen on big footy.
Whats idiotic is you missed the point entirely. Went straight over your head.

Its a thread looking at players who won the most frees who debuted over a 4 year period and then played 10 years in the midfield. Its such a small subset of actual players that its a pointless thing to look at. Highest average of tackles per game during the decade is a more interesting stat to look at as it is over a much much higher subset of players.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
winty you’ve asked the question before. No one has answered it yet.

Abasi you’re better than this low level garbage.

Speaking of, the standard of the main board. One of the toughest most courageous footballers and proudly will watch him notch game 300 in 2020

Beats the sh*t out of our own board where only one line of opinion is accepted and you either get in line or piss off.

You don't like the main board, go hang out at the cattery.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whats idiotic is you missed the point entirely. Went straight over your head.

Its a thread looking at players who won the most frees who debuted over a 4 year period and then played 10 years in the midfield. Its such a small subset of actual players that its a pointless thing to look at. Highest average of tackles per game during the decade is a more interesting stat to look at as it is over a much much higher subset of players.
Just when I think you can’t make another idiotic statement, you come through with another.

read the thread again and come back to reply.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yes and the facts are its quite a small number compared to his overall game. A tenth.
Far more than any other player in his era.

Shown to be a good player when great players have been around him,
It’s a shame he is being remembered for dropping the shoulders. He’s a much better player than that.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Far more than any other player in his era.

Shown to be a good player when great players have been around him,
It’s a shame he is being remembered for dropping the shoulders. He’s a much better player than that.
Yes more then other players but still a very small portion of his overall game. Its the portion of his overall game that actually matters when evaluating his playing ability and the influence of frees on it. Youve posted the results. Its 10 percent. Tiny.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yes more then other players but still a very small portion of his overall game. Its the portion of his overall game that actually matters when evaluating his playing ability and the influence of frees on it. Youve posted the results. Its 10 percent. Tiny.
It’s actually the biggest percentage of all players this decade. He relies on free kicks more than any other player. Shame he’s remembered for this as he was a good player in great Geelong teams.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s actually the biggest percentage of all players this decade. He relies on free kicks more than any other player. Shame he’s remembered for this as he was a good player in great Geelong teams.
That’s the unfortunate truth, will always be remembered for being a for being overly reliant on free kicks. If wasn’t for this he would be widely remembered as a good player.

That’s the unfortunate truth, will always be remembered for being a for being overly reliant on free kicks. If wasn’t for this he would be widely remembered as a good player.

He’ll be remembered as a very good footballer because he was one.

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m sure that this will be my lasting memory too. Not dragging us off the canvass in the second quarter against Collingwood in the 2011 GF. Not for his courage, toughness and skill. Not for getting us over the line countless times. Nup. Solely for his ability to successfully exploit an AFL rule. Just a good footballer eh? I’ve seen it all now.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I’m sure that this will be my lasting memory too. Not dragging us off the canvass in the second quarter against Collingwood in the 2011 GF. Not for his courage, toughness and skill. Not for getting us over the line countless times. Nup. Solely for his ability to successfully exploit an AFL rule. Just a good footballer eh? I’ve seen it all now.
Yep, was good in the 2011 GF surrounded by a great team.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Got away with head high tackles. Ummm, you do get those tackles are illegal for everyone right?

Wrong. Selwood (and other players) obviously uses tactics to draw high tackles from legitimate tackle attempts.

He constantly ducks and leans his head, and drops his knees to lower himself, and raises his arms to push an opponent’s arms up to his neck. It’s an obvious tactic.

There was quite a significant change made three years ago due to it.

“What we’re trying to do there is if the players’ legitimate attempt to tackle appears to be correct and that the high contact is caused by the player ducking into the tackle, dropping his knees or trying to shrug it off, then it will be a play-on call.”

Yet for whatever reason, some players (Selwood is the chief offender, as the numbers show) still somehow get away with it. It’s not his fault, it’s shocking umpiring.

He’s not actually doing anything against the rules - it should just be play-on. But he gets free kicks.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, was good in the 2011 GF surrounded by a great team.
Funny because before the 2011 finals commentators were writing articles about how he didnt deliver in finals. They dont write that anymore. His best finals performances were between 2011-16. Most of which were loses. So the theory plays better in good teams is completely debunked and the opposite is true in finals. His best finals were in losing sides.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Were you one of the port fans booing selwood as he recieved a best on ground award from an anzacs family because he stood up for his brother who was king hit by a cowards act from a port player? Were you one of the thousands who booed like a low life dog?

Last edited:
Back