The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The ducking is just part of his ultra competitive nature and do anything to win. Just like his hard at it attack on the footy and the head knocks he ends up with. Suspect he will come to regret the impact this ultracompetitiveness has on his legacy, and potentially his health, one day.

Great player, also a ducking campaigner. Not sure why Geelong fans find that so offensive or feel it has to be mutually exclusive.
Because it is unfounded bullshit. You won't find a Geelong supporter who doesn't agree he lifts his arms to evade a tackle, and that quite often leads to high contact. Quite often leads to a handpass shot off to a teammate too.

What we get up in arms about is the lack of respect he garners. Some of the commentary he gets on this site on gameday and on other platforms such as twitter etc is utterly abhorrent. I truly weep that these people will have children. Morons.

Not one poster can provide a single picture showing him duck. NOT ONE. winty has asked for a decade and yet not one example.
Page 1 and Abasi receives more likes for pictures depicting s**t tackles than a democrat does for bagging Trump.

The commentary surrounding Selwood on this site is utterly pathetic. Just watch. Round 5 2020 is Game 300 and if some brave soul starts a thread to congratulate him. it'll descend into unfounded drivel within the first page, just like this thread did.

He does not duck.
Prove that wrong.

What we get up in arms about is the lack of respect he garners.

Probably a reason for that. I don't think this is a case of tall poppy syndrome (unless the tall poppy is a serial ducker). No one will deny the guy is a clutch player and a hard arse champion for his club.

But the guy is a ducker, one way or another. Sure he's just exploiting what the rules allow him, but that's not going to please opposition fans any.

One of the pics Abasi posted, to me, looks as much a duck as you can get in a still photo (which isn't easy to tell, in any situation).

joel-selwood-ducking.jpg

Anticipates contact, knee drop, arm raise and appropriate head tilt. It may not be straight out dropping the head and charging into a player's body, but it's there.

Again, not disputing he's a great player. But let's call a spade a spade.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Probably a reason for that. I don't think this is a case of tall poppy syndrome (unless the tall poppy is a serial ducker). No one will deny the guy is a clutch player and a hard arse champion for his club.

But the guy is a ducker, one way or another. Sure he's just exploiting what the rules allow him, but that's not going to please opposition fans any.

One of the pics Abasi posted, to me, looks as much a duck as you can get in a still photo (which isn't easy to tell, in any situation).

View attachment 775472

Anticipates contact, knee drop, arm raise and appropriate head tilt. It may not be straight out dropping the head and charging into a player's body, but it's there.

You see his right leg is straight even though his body Is on an angle lowering himself. which suggests he is changing direction or other wise he would just fall over.

View attachment 775472

That looks like a s**t tackle. Classic case of free kick high contact.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Yep. I’ve argued Selwood is a champion plenty of times on here, but his constant shrugging/arm lifting for frees is a joke.

Burton is low in the tackle.
View attachment 772927

Selwoods immediate response(its a split second) is to raise his arm and draw the free.
View attachment 772928

The end result, much like all the other pics I’ve posted is textbook Selwood.
Elbow higher than his ear to direct the tackle towards his neck. Rinse and repeat.

View attachment 772929
Maybe tackle below the elbow then.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Sounds like a brilliant idea to let him get the handball away each time unimpeded.
That’s the penalty you have to pay by being second to the ball. It’s a pretty fair risk v reward system given to the tackler.

Maybe tackle below the elbow then.
The argument then becomes that if players do that the ball carrier frees the arm to release the ball.

Pin the arms above the elbow to stop that and Selwood frees the arms the other way.

Disrespected because he’s good at evading tackles

That looks like a s**t tackle. Classic case of free kick high contact.
I don't actually disagree they are s**t tackles. It's actually flabbergasting to me that it happens so often.

But that's the thing, it happens on such a scale with Joel in particular it can't always be down to purely tackle technique.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
The argument then becomes that if players do that the ball carrier frees the arm to release the ball.
And my argument is that’s the penalty you have to pay for being second to the ball and not strong enough to hold Selwood’s arm down.

Pin the arms above the elbow to stop that and Selwood frees the arms the other way.

Disrespected because he’s good at evading tackles
Ha!
The amount of frees he has received for high tackles suggests he’s not very good at evading tackles... he’s very good at making an arm slide up to his neck though, eh.

Last edited:
Ha!
The amount of frees he has received for high tackles suggests he’s not very good at evading tackles... he’s very hood at making an arm slide up to his neck though, eh.
Just because he has x amount of high free kicks doesn't mean he's not good at it.
He just gets to the pill first a lot more than most in the league.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just because he has x amount of high free kicks doesn't mean he's not good at it.

What dissapoints me most about Selwood's free kick drawing technique is that he probably doesn't need it. He often looks like he can, or does, practically break out of most tackles, which is one of the most impressive and team lifting football acts. Instead, he intentionally draws a free, play is stopped, whistle blown, and we don't get to see what Selwood could actually do if he had to.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

View attachment 775472

No ducking or diving in the photo. Selwood still on his feet. Clear free.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Even I could make the case of selwood haters better then they can. There are a couple of plays out there when he did lose his feet as he was caught high. Not that a couple of times is proof he did it regularly. Every player has deliberately brought about a free through losing their feet at least a couple of times in their careers. You need about 10 plus examples to start to make a case. The selwood haters cant even find one example. Not one. This is embarrassing for them.

Can you please read this back to yourself a few times.

No need.

Just because he earns free kicks in this manner does not mean he isn’t good at evading tackles. Simple statement.
Actually it does.

The sheer volume of free kicks he receives for high tackles suggests he’s not good at evading tackles, but rather that he’s good at making the tackle go high.

for all those defending his technique, why did the AFL change the rules?

why is rewarding a free kick for head high contact even a thing?

clue: to protect the head

a great player but he milked a loophole that has now closed

Back