The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
So have we established that Selwood is a cheat, and that Geelong fans are swimming in a river of denial? I think so.

I remember how the apologist commentators (Ling, Der-Wayne) would praise him for “drawing a free kick”, and the rearguard action to protect his gaming the system for as long as possible.

Can’t wait for this blight on the game to retire.

Sonny Walters flopping/staging for frees is actually worse/more blatant than Selwood's Ducks.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He will have more flags than your entire club within your lifetime
So? Doesn’t excuse or validate his behaviour.
And that’s a prediction, not a fact. Or a threat.

Sonny Walters flopping/staging for frees is actually worse/more blatant than Selwood's Ducks.
That would be true if Walters actually got as many free kicks.

Danger2Jenkins

Knight of the Teutonic Order
Oct 17, 2019
Moe Heights
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Moe Bushrangers
So? Doesn’t excuse or validate his behaviour.
And that’s a prediction, not a fact. Or a threat.

Sorry you must've had your words jumbled. You said Selwood was a blight on the game. I was just pointing out this is wrong and he's a champion of the game. Freo are a blight on the game.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Selwood would have been close to 1st picked in any team for most of his years due to tenacity and leadership.

I noted in the PreLim versus Tigers he got pinned a couple of times, unable to shove the tackling arms above the shoulder. This may spell the beginning of the end, this is one of his remaining weapons. It bodes badly for Cats that DisappearField will have to step up in big finals if Sellwood stops playing. Half stepping up in the first half, then stepping down in the second half won't cut it.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eternal Schism

Senior List
Feb 17, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Souths
Did you factor in the three extra games each round?

Sorry I'm a dunce who didn't.

The 1970s period each year there were 1320 Home and Away matches played. 108,500 / 1320 ~ 82 per game.

The 2010s had 1945 games played home and away. 76,627 / 1945 = 39.39 per game.

More than twice as many free kicks per game. So Selwoods free kick numbers are more astounding than I first even presented. Pretty damning.

That said I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Best at ducking, bending the knees and slipping the arm up in the history of the game.
This comment alone proves you have no idea....Selwood absolutely slips the arm up to break the tackle, this manoeuvre has drawn him high free kicks no doubt, it is most certainly not exclusive to him though. Shuey, Puopolo & Mathieson just to name a few have been doing the same thing for years now! And on the ducking part, that is just simply a figment of your ( and others it seems ) imagination....The only times Selwood has ever ducked down was upon receiving his 3 premiership medals.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Despite this clear discrepancy what's Selwoods finals record as captain?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Better than Crawford, Stratton, Roughead & Vandenberg’s.....But let’s stick to the topic ay. 👍

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
That’s fine he’s got every right to break the tackle. Just don’t give him a free for it.

Your asking for a competition wide rule against free kicks paid after a tackle is broken or averted??

The onus is on the tackler to apply good form, its the player being tackled jobs to make it as difficult as possible to apply it. In the process of trying to avoid the tackle free kicks will happen.

The idea you just said gets dumber and dumber the more logically you think through a tackling situation

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
So have we established that Selwood is a cheat, and that Geelong fans are swimming in a river of denial? I think so.

I remember how the apologist commentators (Ling, Der-Wayne) would praise him for “drawing a free kick”, and the rearguard action to protect his gaming the system for as long as possible.

Can’t wait for this blight on the game to retire.

Show some respect. Selwoods career is more decorated than the entire history of the fremantle football club. Respect your superiors sir

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone who wouldn’t have wanted him playing for their club is talking sh.t.
Where defenders cheating when they grabbed jumpers and chopped arms when it was allowed?
No.

Selwood will be inducted into the Legends hall of fame one day because he is something outve the box one of the most decorated players to have played.
And people saying he bleeds because of soft/weak skin...it’s called scar tissue.
In his first year he was bottom age won the Rising star played in a Granny and drew comments from Tom Hafey and Leigh Mathews as something they hadn’t seen at that age before.
One of the youngest to become Captain in a team that were still in a Dynasty.
I can’t believe people in a forum thats created because of a love of Australian Rules Footy want to run him down.
He’s one of the greats, there’s no two ways about it.
Well said sir

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Your asking for a competition wide rule against free kicks paid after a tackle is broken or averted??

The onus is on the tackler to apply good form, its the player being tackled jobs to make it as difficult as possible to apply it. In the process of trying to avoid the tackle free kicks will happen.

The idea you just said gets dumber and dumber the more logically you think through a tackling situation
They already did bring in that rule...

Back