Radio Sport on radio: SEN, Triple M, 3AW, ABC, 6PR, 5AA, 4BC, 2UE, RSN

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time i listen its a rotation of the 6 or 7 same callers and the same subjects going on over and over. There is a reason why he got sacked, If they were going to go in the same direction i would suggest that he would have been kept on. I have a feeling Hutchy is aiming for a totally different dynamic. PRobably aiming to a younger crowd. Would not be shocked if nights are devoted to sports betting. e sports and other such topics

you kidding me?
fcuk me dead, I'm no spring chicken at 47yo but even I draw the line at listening too late at night. what age demographic do you class as "younger" that would bother to tune in to late night radio? have a twirl of the dial, all talkback of that hour are mostly oldies. finey was as good as you're going to get at that timeslot

you kidding me?
fcuk me dead, I'm no spring chicken at 47yo but even I draw the line at listening too late at night. what age demographic do you class as "younger" that would bother to tune in to late night radio? have a twirl of the dial, all talkback of that hour are mostly oldies. finey was as good as you're going to get at that timeslot
Exactly this, no matter what you do young ones these days are not going to give the radio a go late evening.

Can't wait to see SEN late nights fail.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

I wonder how much time KB has left? Great performer, but obviously Hutchinson is looking for fresh faces. Still not convinced 5 days per week of Dr Turf is something that will work. He is good in short sharp bursts. This antagonism angle will wear thin pretty quickly. It may have been more beneficial to have paired KB with OX, and let KB teach him the nuances of the game, and also a play on the generational differences.

This could make or break SEN, because if it fails, it will take a lot of work to get back the listeners.
Yep. Ox = relevnet. Turf = old school bore.

Agree with this but old people die. He will need to build a new audience
Personally i have moved onto Podcasts. Can listen to what i want when i want and minimal ads too. So many topics to choose from. Its the way of the future. Its like Streaming TV is going to put Commercial TV out of business, so will podcasts with talk radio (except for live events)
Talk back radio will never die, seriously no idea if you think that.

Posted this in the other thread, Serious question, how do us long time sen listeners feel about all of these changes and what hutchy is doing? I feel as if the heart and soul of the station has been ripped apart.

Last edited:
Finey always let his callers get their point across.
The same Finey who would on a regular basis, interrupt the caller while they're talking when he doesn't agree with them, and doesn't let them finish after whatever he was ranting about?

Lol, you must be listening to a different radio station.

Every time i listen its a rotation of the 6 or 7 same callers and the same subjects going on over and over. There is a reason why he got sacked, If they were going to go in the same direction i would suggest that he would have been kept on. I have a feeling Hutchy is aiming for a totally different dynamic. PRobably aiming to a younger crowd. Would not be shocked if nights are devoted to sports betting. e sports and other such topics
They have the same callers that go on and on about the same stuff on every show. They pretty much wait for their names to come up

WTF?

What "greater good" would it possibly serve?

And what kind of people crosses their fingers that all the people that work behind the scenes at the station lose their jobs?

I think for a brief moment there my disdain for Craig Hutchison removed my ability to think rationally. So while him failing would be amusing, it probably doesn't fall under the definition of 'for the greater good'.

So we can have another easy listening station and then stuck with having to listen to AW or the ABC. Yeah Nah, I don't think that is appealing.

Podcasts are your friend. I would usually only listen to the radio to and from work but I've switched to podcasts in the new year and I don't really feel like I've missed out on anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad to see Finey get Bruce Eva-d from SEN. Evenings did need a massive shakeup though, I'm a single parent half the time so i'm home a lot in the evenings and have had SEN on since Beva After Dark. (Start Me Up was a great theme song). Finey was a really good host but it did feel like he was there way too long with only real small tweaks to the formula over the past couple of years and well off the glory years of Team Talk, TV Freak etc. I wont miss the hours with Peak where nothing was discussed and awkward bickering abounded. Or the masterbatorium. Or the singing.

I do hope he gets picked up even as a producer again in the sports industry because he does know his s**t. When he was fired up, made for some entertaining radio. The Right Time too should be singled out also as an amazing slot that got blokes talking about what was really happening in their lives, so i hope we haven't heard the last of Mick Hall. I hope the old blokes (Zanners, Milney, Peaky, Poults) get a nice little 11pm or Midnight timeslot again and make the early hours radio interesting once more.

Every Sunday night.
"Hello Finey its your mate (insert name here), how do you think the kangaroos are going to go this week"
"oh its my old mate (whatisname), he knows his football.The kangaroos are going well"
"when are you gonna come and see me Viney"
"ill come soon"
"cant wait to see you Viney we will have a beer"
"we sure will"
"cant wait til the saints plays the kangaroos Viney"
This goes on for about 15 minutes.

I never listened other times, but he was a waffler with the same waffling callers every Sunday night. Who friggin cares. Time for something
" interesteing
I will say this, Finey was really good with some of his callers. I know when I was a kid my dad would visit his brother in Mt Eliza. I think the caller was in a rehab or hospital or something, it probably made his week to have 4 minutes of airtime after 9pm on a sunday. might of kept him going for another week you know. And to give finey credit, he wouldn't always waffle back. he'd spend a bit of time talking about how north melbourne went that week. and i listened to a lot of finey's final siren and i reckon rob (?) from mt eliza was the most consistent caller asking for some talk about north melbourne in the enitre show's run

The problem with talkback is that everyone who calls in thinks their opinion is valid and deserving of airtime. The very fact that they are a talkback caller however automatically renders their opinion worthless.

Have you ever listened to the late night quiz on ABC? :)

That can get a bit agro!!

My old Telefunken Binocluars that I got in the First year of SEN when Finey was with Russell Gibert on the weekends is very upset. I think I won it on the First weekend of that show if I remember.

I like Finey as a host, I think the Producers let him down. The ammount of time I tried to ring or text the sporting number or Inital and yet it is the same idiots that hopped on there every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back