Radio Sport on radio: SEN, Triple M, 3AW, ABC, 6PR, 5AA, 4BC, 2UE, RSN

Remove this Banner Ad

5-10kph is overtaking. 27 is blatant not giving a s**t.

It's getting to off-topic territory, but it's always been a bugbear of mine that our road rules seem to cater to the lowest common denominator of drivers. It's a rubbish approach to road rules. You look at countries like Germany where they train their lowest common denominator of drivers much better, and so their speed limits are much higher.

I once got a whopping great fine (about $800) for being about 30km/hr over the limit driving from Sydney to Canberra and, to this day, having long since paid the fine and gotten the demerit points back, I still maintain that it was bullshit. If I'm a very good driver - it's one of the things that I'm best at in life - it just seems ridiculous to me that, on a bright clear day, on a perfectly straight bit of road, I'm forced to drive at a speed limit far below what I and my car (and most of our cars) are capable of. (It's even more bullshit for a speed camera to be parked at the "ridge" of a hill where you've been driving down hill and are about to be driving up hill.) You never get caught the first time you speed - so if you get to be a good enough driver that, not only can you safely drive at that speed, but you can either see or pre-empt speed cameras before you're caught, does that not indicate that I, and people like me, are capable of driving faster than our upper limits?

If we trained our drivers much better and, as barbaric as it sounds, if we applied a bit of Darwinism to our road rules, it would give people more skill and confidence as drivers, and it would improve driving standards in the inner city as well as on the freeways.

I could fill this thread with all sorts of mundane rubbish. :D

For instance: for some reason, Finey has gone back to having the news on at any old time in the evens, like 2-passed or 3-passed the hour.
I'm curious why this happens :p

Here's some trivia: This morning, Lyon and Hamish were talking about the "Miracle On Ice" ice hockey match at the 1980 Winter Olympics.
Well, I reckon the miracle is a bit overstated. While the American players were young amateurs, 13 of the squad were soon on their way to long careers in the NHL, with 5 of them playing more than 500 games!!! Tell all ya friends :D
It was a miracle because the soviets hadn't been beaten in 24 years in international competition they also lost 10-3 to them before the Olympics. So it was a miracle

It was a miracle because the soviets hadn't been beaten in 24 years in international competition they also lost 10-3 to them before the Olympics. So it was a miracle
It's just a theory. :D Don't ya reckon it ads a bit of perspective to it, but? Instead of "a bunch of amateurs and college kids", it's a "bunch of mostly 22 and 23-year-olds who were soon on their way to long and successful careers in the NHL"

It's just a theory. :D Don't ya reckon it ads a bit of perspective to it, but? Instead of "a bunch of amateurs and college kids", it's a "bunch of mostly 22 and 23-year-olds who were soon on their way to long and successful careers in the NHL"
Typically, with big upsets like those. The winning, underdog team would also have favourable refereeing that wouldn't be mentioned.

That exchange between you and damo reminds me of the Hungarian soccer team of the early 50s (A team which began using the tactics known as the "press", used in all invasion sports). They hadn't lost a game for many years prior to the 1954 World Cup Final against West Germany, which includes belting WG 8-3 earlier in the tournament.

Well, WG won the 1954 WC Final 3-2 in wet conditions. What is not often mentioned is the favourable refereeing decisions WG got. Including benefiting from scoring a goal, and a a late equalising goal for Hungary which wasn't given due to a "misinterpretation" of the offside rule.

I'm sure that has something to do with SEN...

Can do without the GREYHOUND RACING promos. Mark Allen's father needs to understand that animal exploitation is no way to make a living. He needs to get himself a real job. What the hell is someone from the Justice Dept. doing heading up the GRV? Looks like the crime syndicates have such firm grasp around the governments neck, that they've installed one of their own as CEO. And here he is. I thought it was a bag of s**t stuffed in a cheap suit, but no, it's ALAN CLAYTON!
Alan.jpg

Can do without the GREYHOUND RACING promos. Mark Allen's father needs to understand that animal exploitation is no way to make a living. He needs to get himself a real job. What the hell is someone from the Justice Dept. doing heading up the GRV? Looks like the crime syndicates have such firm grasp around the governments neck, that they've installed one of their own as CEO. And here he is. I thought it was a bag of s**t stuffed in a cheap suit, but no, it's ALAN CLAYTON!
Alan.jpg

Rubbish.:rolleyes:

Alan.jpg
What are you on champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why people call up and ask Mark Allen how he think a team will go this year.

Mark Allen has no idea about football, so don't waste your time
The sad thing is, outside of golf, it's seems to be the sport he knows best. Yet he still has no real clue.

I haven't minded the mornings so far, but really they have put together a breakfast team to focus purely on footy.... so what do they expect... you would imagine as the season actually gets going it might improve, but the stupidly have limited themselves before they even started on air together

Christ!! The breakfast show dropped from 3.8 to 2.5. Even though SEN traditionally rates crapily at this time of year, that's one of the worst results; the previous worst (going back to 2012) was 2.7 in 2014. I've gotta admit I'm very surprised, because I believed the publicity would generate something. I guess footy fans don't care about hype, they just want their footy chat when they want it, and that's obviously when the season starts.

Survey one 2016: 3.8
Survey one 2015: 3
Survey one 2014: 2.7
Survey one 2013: 4.7!! Who was on that year? :D
Survey one 2012: 3.8

Ratings archives: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/surveys/2012-02-09-06-18-11/melbourne.html

However, it's not just Breakfast; they're down in all slots, with Faaarncis also rating a dismal 2.5.
I had a quick look through all the surveys going back to the start of 2012 and, in that time, the lunch slot rated lower that 3 only once (2012). Maher even rating 5.1 at one stage last year. In my opinion, Leach is too hoity-toity for the average bogan SEN listener, :D

Anyway, it's obviously just one survey, so "WEE SHARL SEEE", as my Polish friend says in his thick accent

ratings%20one%202017_zpsrkkrjie8.png

Last edited:
After how much they promoted the breakfast show, and how many resources they put into it, surely this is extremely worrying for sen. Or at least it should be. You don't want to spend a whole lot of money and get that return, even if it isn't footy season.

If it doesn't rise a lot, and I mean a hell of a lot, by the next ratings, heads are going to roll.

Even though he breakfast line-up does not appeal to me and I have not listened to it much at all so far I thought it would rate better.

Maybe leach is a bit too cerebral for the average SEN listener, which makes the decision to let Harf go (or create a situation where he looked elsewhere) seem silly. Then again, that doesn't expalin why the brekky team doesn't appeal (hardly too cerebral, rather the opposite).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back