Radio Sport on radio: SEN, Triple M, 3AW, ABC, 6PR, 5AA, 4BC, 2UE, RSN

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm quite interested to see how Lyon goes next year - listening to bits and pieces of Triple M this year and hearing how boneheaded Frawley was without him; and having seen Footy Classified a couple of times this year that just fell into journalists thinking they're the story, I came to think that Lyon is a little under-rated as a thinker about AFL footy, and definitely under-rated as a host.

He's definitely a thinker. In fact he coached the International Rules team a few times in the mid 2000s. I reckon he's a pretty intelligent guy. Just not in all areas obviously :$

I think that would be an improvement. The Ox and Marco worked well together (not my cup of tea but the Ox is more bearable in the afternoon rather than first thing in the morning) and I can see Leach doing well hosting his own show in the early afternoon, will be able to be more himself not having to bounce off the Ox.
Yep Francis just interviewing guests and talking a range of different sports suits him and if he is the arvo host it plays to his strengths

Same.
SEN have Matty G and Chuck on from next week.
They should have gone with that lineup for next year.
I had thought with Chuck being on lately they were maybe grooming him for the role

Yep Francis just interviewing guests and talking a range of different sports suits him and if he is the arvo host it plays to his strengths

I can take or leave Fake-Laugh Frankie (the laugh is a shocker), but I liked his interviews this week with Tony Cochrane and Paul Marsh, coz he didn't let them get away with too much spin.

spot on darce and darce.

what sports media is crying out for is an unbiased (as much as possible) and well spoken, articulate presenter who asks questions without fear or favour. ex footy players cannot do this as they are cliche driven and have mates in the industry.

It's the old commercial media conundrum: there's not enough ad revenue because the ratings are too low, and the ratings are too low because they haven't got better presenters, because they have got enough money to get better presenters. Is that a catch 22? :)

So, they must've found some cash to get Lyon and McLachlan to get up early. I suppose they've gotta try some "big" names again at breakfast, because that's where the biggest ad revenue usually comes from.

I've said this a few times on here, so, sorry if it's boring. Ha :D ......

I'm pretty sure that Big Footy people aren't an accurate representation of the general public. Big Footy people are mostly serious sports fans who want their stuff delivered precisely and seriously, without too much crap, while the general public go for dazzle and fluff. You've only gotta see the dumb s**t that rates well on tv and radio for evidence of this.

So, we can go on and on as much as we like about having guys like Brett Phillips, Matt Granlan and Darren Parkin having prime time spots, but I can't see it ever happening, because it will only cater for a niche market.

Last edited:
It's the old commercial media conundrum: there's not enough ad revenue because the ratings are too low, and the ratings are too low because they haven't got better presenters, because they have got enough to pay better presenters. Is that a catch 22? :)

So, they must've found some cash to get Lyon and McLachlan to get up early. I suppose they've gotta try some "big" names again at breakfast, because that's where the biggest ad revenue usually comes from.

I've said this a few times on here, so, sorry if it's boring. Ha :D ......

I'm pretty sure that Big Footy people aren't an accurate representation of the general public. Big Footy people are mostly serious sports fans who want their stuff delivered precisely and seriously, without too much crap, and the general public go for dazzle and fluff. You've only gotta see the dumb s**t that rates well on tv and radio for evidence of this.

So, we can go on and on as much as we like about having guys like Brett Phillips, Matt Granlan and Darren Parkin having prime time spots, but I can't see it ever happening.

I beleive Ive heard on SEN that their target demographics are
- herald sun readers
- beer drinkers
- tradies
- high vis vest wearers
- truckies

many of the above morph into each other. It is unlikely that these targets are in front of a computer during the day posting outrage on bigfooty. So you are right.

- herald sun readers
- beer drinkers
- tradies
- high vis vest wearers
- truckies

many of the above morph into each other. It is unlikely that these targets are in front of a computer during the day posting outrage on bigfooty. So you are right.
Ha ha, you put it better than I could've. :D

- herald sun readers
- beer drinkers
- tradies
- high vis vest wearers
- truckies

Though I did have a laugh at grant Thomas getting on his high horse about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know they are targeting tradies etc. but I first tuned in because I am a sports lover. They need to be a bit smart because sports lovers are all ages, both men and women and from all walks of life. Some of their decisions of recent times have driven away quite a few people I know and I am also on the brink of abandoning them. I think they need to target sports lovers not tradies etc. and focus more on sport and less on peripheral crap. They also need to be more discriminating with their advertising and sponsorship.

I know they are targeting tradies etc. but I first tuned in because I am a sports lover. They need to be a bit smart because sports lovers are all ages, both men and women and from all walks of life. Some of their decisions of recent times have driven away quite a few people I know and I am also on the brink of abandoning them. I think they need to target sports lovers not tradies etc. and focus more on sport and less on peripheral crap. They also need to be more discriminating with their advertising and sponsorship.
Not interested in heading out to Goldfingers?

Can't see the tweet:(

Didn't think Simon O'Donnell was a good mix with Mark Allen....sounded forced, or with blank spots. I didn't listen for long as a result.

...and I'm not bagging Mark Allen either, don't mind him at all. Just didn't think they jelled.

Really like Grant Thomas and what he has to say.....also liked Matt Hardy when he was on with Huddo...Dermie was his usual painful self.

The only Matt Hardy I'll accept will be this one:

Broken-Matt-Hardy-1.png

Haven't watched wrestling for years, but bah gawd he has aged.

Must be a combinatiom of all the hard knocks to the head and all the hard partying

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
In fact, he is no longer Matt Hardy. He is Broken Matt Hardy, and he has conferred with the seven deities after becoming broken, and strives to show his broken brilliance to the world.

Or something like that. Wrestling is weird.

They also need to be more discriminating with their advertising and sponsorship.

its a funny yet hard one. sponsors include

sexyland
goldfingers
sportsbet

sportsbet and gambling in general are vexed issues. they appeal to their rank and file, however remember to gamble responsibliy (but keep coming back to gamble!)

its a funny yet hard one. sponsors include

sexyland
goldfingers
sportsbet

sportsbet and gambling in general are vexed issues. they appeal to their rank and file, however remember to gamble responsibliy (but keep coming back to gamble!)

Plus the shortlived but unforgettable "Thailand Ladyboys Superstas" show. KB even had to give away tickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back