The September Grand Final and the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Not thread-related, but: Collingwood fans have been nothing but gracious on our board. The banter in the lead-up was fine too. Found some new respect for McGuire in the aftermath as well, as he went into the WC rooms to congratulate the team.
Epic game, one of the best.

it's great to see footy fans approaching and enjoying the game they way they should.

blckcaviar

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a single pundit predicted Collingwood (or West Coast for that matter) to be anywhere near the GF, and they played a cracker of a game. Whereas Richmond were the greatest dead-set certs to go back to back, and got humiliated in about 40 minutes.

WC finished 2nd on the ladder and spent the whole year near the top. Why would no-one have predicted they might be in the GF?

If you mean back at the start of this year, then no, Richmond was NOT anywhere near favourites to win the Premiership. They were 4th favourites behind Sydney, and widely tipped to fall out of the 8. They became favourites to win about halfway through the year.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting, the double standards of the MB mods.

How come people can start threads about ‘Colliwobbles’ but no-one is allowed to use the term N i n t h m o n d?

What’s the difference?
but Colliwobbles isn't a perjorative term for Collingwood!

I think if someone repeatedly referred to your club as Choke-wood or Collingchoke, that would be stamped out.[/QUOTE]

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t understand why Collingwood supporters are angry with opposition supporters barracking and gloating against them. It’s only natural especially for Essendon, Carlton and Richmond supporters. If the shoe was on the other foot, most of them would do the same.
Because in the scheme of things, just how bad are Collingwood and its fans?

They've never cheated, they've never rubbed their success in the noses of other fans. There was some acrimony towards Saints fans, but that's because Saints fans are complete knobs. The argument they're feral is only true compared to say, Melbourne or Hawthorn fans.

Collingwood were loathed because they were the working class team of the Depression that won a lot. Why does that apply now? They're the biggest club in Australian sport, and yet they're probably one of the more humble.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
They've never cheated, they've never rubbed their success in the noses of other fans. There was some acrimony towards Saints fans, but that's because Saints fans are complete knobs. The argument they're feral is only true compared to say, Melbourne or Hawthorn fans.
Collingwood were loathed because they were the working class team of the Depression that won a lot. Why does that apply now? They're the biggest club in Australian sport, and yet they're probably one of the more humble.
Lol, try living in Melbourne with Eddy and their feral supporters.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

How come people can start threads about ‘Colliwobbles’ but no-one is allowed to use the term N i n t h m o n d?

What’s the difference?
What about the large numbers of threads last year, often encouraged by the mods ridiculing Richmonds premiership win?
Pies are having it easy on the MB after this years grand final choke

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
but Colliwobbles isn't a perjorative term for Collingwood!

I think if someone repeatedly referred to your club as Choke-wood or Collingchoke, that would be stamped out.
Lol COLLIWOBBLES isn’t a perjorative term for Collingwood?

It’s the same thing man.

Double standards.

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon

its an old big 4 thing. You wouldn’t understand. No offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It refers to a curse on the club, not the club.

Colliwobbles is equivalent to Richmondy

I have no issue with the use of either in proper context.
Not quite right. Colliwobbles is a real thing. Richmondy I have never heard of and been following the game and league for four decades. Only heard it once or twice here so sounds like some nerdy internet/forum crap which has no relevance to anything beyond the dimwits that thought it up.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
A quirk about 1990 meant that the stars definitely aligned for Collingwood that year.

They played Essendon for a spot in the Grand Final, with the Bombers having to wait 22 days between their final H&A game and their first final, due to the drawn game earlier in the series. Ask any coach in the league now if that would be deemed an ideal preparation and you'll get 18 x 'No'.

The other team they could've faced was West Coast who, due to some interesting fixturing, meant that had they made the Grand Final, they'd have played their 7th straight game on the road (Brisbane in the penultimate round, Geelong in the final round, then a month of games at Waverley)

Thankfully, neither of these circumstances would be possible in today's game.

As for taking pleasure in them losing, ******* oath I do! It's part of the tribalism of being a supporter. Going around trolling boards etc is a s**t thing to do, but I was very glad they lost. And I would expect the exact same in return if and when we ever make another Grand Final and lose.

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

What’s the difference?
Colliwobbles is so much more beautiful to watch.
27 glorious attempts to win a Premiership, and 27 horribly weak losses.

2018 took the cake, in a sea of losses this was as good as it gets.

Even when the Pies were up early yesterday I didn't think they were home. I said to my cousin at the time "you can't have the Colliwobbles without the Pies getting up by a few goals early". Even in the 3rd quarter we were discussing the Norm Smith and my cousin said "but what if Collingwood win" and I shot back "Collingwood's not winning".

It's weird there's almost an inevitability about it. They were pretty lucky in 2010 where a different bounce up to Milne would've cost them another. It's pretty crazy not sure what it is but its definitely a thing.

This is actually scarily accurate - I don't think there is another club around if you kicked the first 5 goals in a GF that their supporters would still be nervous.

Was just everything about the game
-banner fail
- kick first 5
-weagles do nothing until scuffing through the first goal in last few minutes of the quarter
- slam on two goals to start the 4th
- in front for 95% of game time
- dude slots a goal from virtually the first row with 2 minutes left to steal your flag

#classiccolliwobbles

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Colliwobbles is so much more beautiful to watch.
27 glorious attempts to win a Premiership, and 27 horribly weak losses.

2018 took the cake, in a sea of losses this was as good as it gets.
Nah, this is nothing. Colliwobbles really ramps up when they play in 5 grand finals in 5 years under same coach and win none of them and in winning position in most of them which they did in first 5 seasons I followed the game. Maybe this is just the start of the curse returning and only way to avoid it is a grand final in October.

Tbh since 1990

2002/2003 we were beaten by a bloody insane lions outfit with a hugely average list. Google our list and you’ll be gobsmacked we pushed them in 2002

2010 best team and we won
2011 Geelong were the best proven 3 times

2018 We overachieved just to make it there and defiantly wasn’t our flag to lose.
It was when you were 5 goals up

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, this is nothing. Colliwobbles really ramps up when they play in 5 grand finals in 5 years under same coach and win none of them and in winning position in most of them which they did in first 5 seasons I followed the game. Maybe this is just the start of the curse returning and only way to avoid it is a grand final in October.
Pies grand final loss in 2011 was in October

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back