Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
I was genuinely annoyed that Bailey got weirded out by his start against GWS and kind of just disappeared.

The fact* is no-one has been given the poisoned chalice that is the medisub role as often as Bailey Banfield. And no-one has padded up so manfully as Bailey; stood up to receive the chalice and drunk so deeply from it. No-one has so selflessly run up and down the spot in a t-shirt, trying to stay focused, unsure if you are going to get a gig, realising getting a gig is a bit like lifting a can from the slab that killed Bon Scott and not being entirely convinced this pariah warm-up at half-time is quite the same as getting genuine match fitness and awareness as part of your ongoing dvelopment.

We should build a little monument for Bailey for what he has given us this season. Just a little one. Keep it in Marshall Stockden's physiotherapy cupboard. Bring it out whenever someone is injured.

Because the reality is he has been handed a great big s**t sandwich, week after week after week, and not only is the quality of Bailey's character such that he brings his own sauce, sits down and starts munching, the ******* bloke has actually been excellent at it. He has kicked goals in most games he has started as medisub. He comes in, with zero actual game awareness, and DOES THE *EN JOB.

So to be given a chance to start and to not really get on with it last weekend was a blow for Mr February.

But it won't stop him.

I suspect Bailey will get a job in our elimination final. A job that doesn't involve hanging around like a single bloke hoping to catch a stray root at a swingers do.

And do you know what?

I reckon Bailey is going to go nuts. He is going to shake off the significant psychological medisub shackles and just make this first 18 stuff his own. I am pencilling him in for a lazy four goals and the biggest grin a man has ever grinned.

Thank you, Bailey.

*I have no idea if this is an actual fact.

I didn’t watch the telecast, but surely he made the all Australian team as medi-sub …

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i like this thread better.

good medi sub to come in with a quarter to go when everyone else is tiring and just off the pace.
As opposed to fresh and just off the pace?

Sorry couldn’t help myself. 😟

Banners seems like the quintessential clubman, it’s not his fault he’s just an average footballer. More often than not he does his job putting in a few kms on the bike while waiting patiently to see if he gets a run, and you can’t really ask for more than that from a guy who only want to get the best out of himself. Not a fan, but I respect him.

UNSUNG DOCKER SET TO TURN BACK ON FREE AGENCY

Bailey Banfield has been unable to cement his spot in Fremantle’s starting line up, but remains sixth in their leading goal kickers despite playing limited minutes.

Banfield has been the used medi sub for the Dockers four times in 2022, and activated for limited minutes in a host of other matches.

Footy commentator Tim Gossage had urged Banfield to seek a trade, stating he could go to “four or five other clubs and play 20 games a year”.

But former Docker Paul Hasleby says a contract extension for Banfield is “imminent”.

Bailey Banfield is set to sign a new two year deal with the Fremantle Dockers,” Hasleby reported on SEN.

Dockers CEO Simon Garlick admitted an “announcement” could be looming.

“You don’t miss much, Hase,” he praised on SEN.

“Obviously Bailey’s had an incredibly interesting year given he’s been medi sub a number of times but then played incredibly significant roles throughout the season.

“He’s been a regular fixture whilst playing that role from time to time which is a really difficult one.

“Obviously it’s challenging sometimes to get continuity if you don’t get on or if you’re coming on in the last quarter.

“He’s just such an outstanding young man… understands that he’s got a role to play.

“We’d love to have Bailey around for the medium term, absolutely.”

Dockers great Matthew Pavlich had urged Banfield to “stick it out” at Fremantle, while Kane Cornes said a club like Adelaide or North Melbourne could benefit from his inclusion.

“Every time I watch him play I think there is something about him,” Cornes praised earlier this year.

“He’s that medium-sized forward who has a few tricks, he’s aggressive.

“He’s 24 years of age, he’s got 10 years left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Banfield has been unable to cement his spot in Fremantle’s starting line up, but remains sixth in their leading goal kickers despite playing limited minutes.

Banfield has been the used medi sub for the Dockers four times in 2022, and activated for limited minutes in a host of other matches.

Footy commentator Tim Gossage had urged Banfield to seek a trade, stating he could go to “four or five other clubs and play 20 games a year”.

But former Docker Paul Hasleby says a contract extension for Banfield is “imminent”.

“Bailey Banfield is set to sign a new two year deal with the Fremantle Dockers,” Hasleby reported on SEN.

“Obviously Bailey’s had an incredibly interesting year given he’s been medi sub a number of times but then played incredibly significant roles throughout the season.

“He’s been a regular fixture whilst playing that role from time to time which is a really difficult one.

“Obviously it’s challenging sometimes to get continuity if you don’t get on or if you’re coming on in the last quarter.

“He’s just such an outstanding young man… understands that he’s got a role to play.

Dockers great Matthew Pavlich had urged Banfield to “stick it out” at Fremantle, while Kane Cornes said a club like Adelaide or North Melbourne could benefit from his inclusion.

“Every time I watch him play I think there is something about him,” Cornes praised earlier this year.

Look, it's a trap

Guys made a career out of doing the bare minimum and being a nice guy. Good on him. Happy for him.

He'd be on very little money so the signing doesn't bother me even if he does sit at peel for all of those two years.

Not everyone on a list can be a superstar, the salary cap looks after that. You need blokes who can come in when needed a play a role & he's been pretty good at that this year.
Happy for further opportunities & is improving each year.

Guys made a career out of doing the bare minimum and being a nice guy. Good on him. Happy for him.

He'd be on very little money so the signing doesn't bother me even if he does sit at peel for all of those two years.

Sounds like me at work

“Bailey Banfield is set to sign a new two year deal with the Fremantle Dockers,” Hasleby reported on SEN.

Medi subs are the closest thing to best 22 outside of best 22.
And have their own unique value.
Its a no brainer to me that a club would seriously value Bailey, who they have called on so many times to fill that "impossible" role.
Garlick is letting us in what is to me quite obvious?
Bailey B is a special soldier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back