The Serious Bailey Banfield Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair old backhanded compliment, being wanted to hang around for the, ah, medium term.

But, yes, you are 100% correct and people taking this opportunity to shitcan an elite athlete playing in the toughest competition our wide brown land has to offer are kind of missing the point.

Bailey seems to have genuinely thought his way into completely embracing the ruggged (thankless, undervalued, under-rated) gig of being medisub and, moreover, he has been really good at it.

FFS he's in our top ten goalkickers and he only comes on when a doctor's involved.

Limited minutes. Limited opportunities.

Unlimited respect.*

*Well, not really. We're a tough crowd now we longer accept mediocrity. Kick more goals, Banfield, you ******* pussy.

Bailey Banfield is 41 games away from qualifying for the Father Son Academy which I was going to jokingly name after myself but it sends the wrong message.

He's played 20, 7, 5, 6, 21 so far.

I’m stoked he’s staying around.
It was reported we have offered acres 200k to stay so expect it to be less then that which is awesome value.
Helps when we have Jackson zuurhar and georgiades on the books.
Hard worker solid character durable.
We’ve wasted so much money on talent that can’t get on the park the last 6 years. It’s a nice change.

Fair old backhanded compliment, being wanted to hang around for the, ah, medium term.

But, yes, you are 100% correct and people taking this opportunity to shitcan an elite athlete playing in the toughest competition our wide brown land has to offer are kind of missing the point.

Bailey seems to have genuinely thought his way into completely embracing the ruggged (thankless, undervalued, under-rated) gig of being medisub and, moreover, he has been really good at it.

FFS he's in our top ten goalkickers and he only comes on when a doctor's involved.

Limited minutes. Limited opportunities.

Unlimited respect.*

Well, not really. We're a tough crowd now we longer accept mediocrity. Kick more goals, Banfield, you ****** pussy.
Here f*cking here.!

I want him to stay. We know how good his best is.

I just get this feeling that if we let him go we would regret it.

I base that on: nothing really.
BB has done well to turn himself into "handy depth" but I am 120% sure that he has absolutely maxxed out his ability at AFL level and there is no scenario we look silly if he left.

BB has done well to turn himself into "handy depth" but I am 120% sure that he has absolutely maxxed out his ability at AFL level and there is no scenario we look silly if he left.
Maybe. Perhaps I have just been too accustomed to the Dockers trade disasters over the years that I don't want to let anyone go for fear of regret.

Just a bit afraid of him going somewhere else and doing a Will Brodie.

Different players I know. But, this feeling I have....

I don't understand the amount of disdain shown to Banfield on these boards.

Is it that he isn't flashy or lacks the mongrel in him. Think he has played his role this season. Being medi sub that many times and expected to come on and have impact is not easy. Also knowing you get dropped as soon as they lose. Also being medi sub or emergency means he can't play for Peel. Not sure how expect stay match fit or have continue pulse on the game.

For what he probably gets paid, think he provides good value.

Watching him, I've noticed that he seems to create alot of space but it seems that his team mates never seem to want pass him the ball. He has a hand in few assists and generally the goals he kicks are from his own crumbing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand the amount of disdain shown to Banfield on these boards.

Is it that he isn't flashy or lacks the mongrel in him. Think he has played his role this season. Being medi sub that many times and expected to come on and have impact is not easy. Also knowing you get dropped as soon as they lose. Also being medi sub or emergency means he can't play for Peel. Not sure how expect stay match fit or have continue pulse on the game.

For what he probably gets paid, think he provides good value.

Watching him, I've noticed that he seems to create alot of space but it seems that his team mates never seem to want pass him the ball. He has a hand in few assists and generally the goals he kicks are from his own crumbing.
He is just not that good at football.
He does however have a great smile 😊😁

Banfield has kicked more goals then hogan and Bennell combined did at our club.
The tigers flags were littered with guys who many thought shouldn’t be playing afl.
Also it sets an example for kids coming through showing it’s not all about money it’s a privilege to play at the highest level.
He moves well for 190cm 90kg+.
I don’t no about others but 2013 squad was full of hard workers we got rid of them and brought in “talent” and haven’t played finals until now when we reintroduced hard workers.

I don't agree that Banfield has hit his ceiling. This has been somewhat his breakout season, only due to him taking the opportunities when presented being medi sub. Everytime he has one bad game like the GWS game, without our key forwards, where also Fyfe was not dominant he gets bagged.

He has shown he has the ability to kick goals and when on song they seem come in bunches. Even with the GWS game he had opportunity where he was in position to kick 3 goals that I can recall. One he kicked a point, the other he was tackled in front and one he dished off to Mundy who got tackled.

Those saying he is not AFL level or I saw one comment only just AFL tempo lol.. Not sure how u can build consistency or get into tempo when u warming the bench.

Certainly, there are few things he needs work on. Mainly, I think tackling and keeping his feet. Fitness comes if he actually plays games instead of medi sub.

I don't agree that Banfield has hit his ceiling. This has been somewhat his breakout season, only due to him taking the opportunities when presented being medi sub. Everytime he has one bad game like the GWS game, without our key forwards, where also Fyfe was not dominant he gets bagged.

He has shown he has the ability to kick goals and when on song they seem come in bunches. Even with the GWS game he had opportunity where he was in position to kick 3 goals that I can recall. One he kicked a point, the other he was tackled in front and one he dished off to Mundy who got tackled.

Those saying he is not AFL level or I saw one comment only just AFL tempo lol.. Not sure how u can build consistency or get into tempo when u warming the bench.

Certainly, there are few things he needs work on. Mainly, I think tackling and keeping his feet. Fitness comes if he actually plays games instead of medi sub.
AFL tempo is my comment, he is just AFL tempo because his biggest weakness has always been the same and is not going to be something that will be fixed with more game time. Unless he’s able to be the last kick on goal, he’s to slow to think / act and it costs us goals. I’ve lost track the number of times we’ve been on a fast break and he’s physically unable to move it quick enough to get a shot on goal.

Did you watch Peel last weekend, something as simple as Sturts hit up pass to him on front of goal is probably a bit beyond Banfield. When you add this to his selfishness in front of goals (due to goal kicking being the thing that gets him a game), basically his best and only AFL skill is kicking goals. Lucky for him, this is a handy skill.

The guy has done remarkably well to turn himself into a handy depth option but there is no scenario he leaves the club and the club looks like dumb for letting “some great talent” go on the cheap.

Last edited:
You make some valid points, but i don't think it's not something that can be worked on.

Not sure I agree about his selfishness at all. Probably one of the least selfish of the forwards. The amount of times I've seen him pass off, when either someone like Schultz or Frederick's wouldn't have, or been involved in score involvement and not get recognised for it. Not sure you expecting him pass off from 40 metres out or so

You make some valid points, but i don't think it's not something that can be worked on.

Not sure I agree about his selfishness at all. Probably one of the least selfish of the forwards. The amount of times I've seen him pass off, when either someone like Schultz or Frederick's wouldn't have, or been involved in score involvement and not get recognised for it. Not sure you expecting him pass off from 40 metres out or so
Least selfish? I dont hold it against the guy too much since he's playing for his spot every week but the guy almost never hands it off when he's got the ball inside 50. He'll burn players in the open to have a shot on goal (he makes most of them to his credit) or he'll pick it up and have a snap from 40 when AB got a free kick (pretty sure given JL's reaction after that one, it got him dropped for next week). Would have to completely agree to disagree on that one.

Bailey has probably gotten Freo a home final off his own boot. Do we win against lions without his 4 goals? They werent out the back goals either, they were proper goals rom nothing. Richmond game, freo couldnt buy a goal in the last, bailey kicks the leveller with a great snap. Thats the difference between 5th vs doggies at home or 7th playing Richmond away. Those are 2 big games/moments as well. 2nd vs 3rd and a big friday night game.

I think the success of footy clubs are built on the bailey banfields not on the Nat Fyfes. The champs cancel each other out/battle it out till a standstill. In 2013-2015 good as we were, we never got anything more than just an 'ok' role players performance from the 20-23rd man and I think we were worse off because of it.

Jacob Townsend

Mitch Morton

Clay Smith

That's Bailey's ceiling imo, but * me I'd love it if he could have a successful finals series like these blokes managed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back