The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the curfew is back and lockdown extended by another 2 weeks. FFS, after seeing what went on across the city over the weekend I hope these muppets are pleased with themselves.
Playgrounds closed too. Not surprised after walking through St Kilda botanical gardens with the beagle yesterday. Kids swarming all over the equipment with parents lounging or standing around in groups close by. Even or especially if people don't agree with lockdown, why act in a manner that is going to prolong it? Pragmatism should override any private concerns.

Looks like the curfew is back and lockdown extended by another 2 weeks. FFS, after seeing what went on across the city over the weekend I hope these muppets are pleased with themselves.

The Assholes just Blame Dan

So the 27th May seven day snap lockdown will now stretch into a 99th day. Yeah, they've supposedly "lifted the lockdown" a couple of times since, but really each has only been an easement of some restrictions and not a return to what we had on 26th May.

They don't have the IQ required to assess whether or not they're pleased.

Basically back into Stage 4 restrictions again. Thanks Gladys and compounded by the behaviour of our own numpties. Christ almighty, this is so frustrating but it has got to be done. Oh, and go out and get vaccinated people!

There's got to be a point where the weight of the lessened life for millions caused by lockdowns becomes greater than the weight of the shortened life that would be caused by covid. I'm not saying Melbourne is at that point, just that the point must exist.

There's got to be a point where the weight of the lessened life for millions caused by lockdowns becomes greater than the weight of the shortened life that would be caused by covid. I'm not saying Melbourne is at that point, just that the point must exist.
Agree - there is obviously a tipping point for this just not sure when we reach it.
A mature conversation around death would be a good starting point.
We are all going to die at some point and you cannot save every single life with little thought to the cost, it's unsustainable to think otherwise at any time let alone during a pandemic.

Agree - there is obviously a tipping point for this just not sure when we reach it.
A mature conversation around death would be a good starting point.
We are all going to die at some point and you cannot save every single life with little thought to the cost, it's unsustainable to think otherwise at any time let alone during a pandemic.

The difficulty with the conversation is that the costs of not locking down are obvious, occur in the medium term and are known, whereas the potential future costs of lockdown are unknown and long term. There will probably be long term cost from lockdowns in terms of mental health, addiction and it's impact on life expectancy and quality of life. In the future, there will be vast studies done comparing long term outcomes and harm done in societies that had high levels of lockdown compared with those that didn't. There might not be any difference, but there might be a lot. Those studies will help inform policy in future pandemics - not in this one. Because the long term consequences are a complete guess.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you really blame people though?

I've become more and more empathetic with people who've had enough. Specifically in Melbourne.
It would be so frustrating being a small business owner who had to keep shutting down. The CDC said that 10 times the ppl may have had covid by looking at the immunity in ppl. So if true makes the fatality rate is very very low. I know 3 ppl who've had covid and all weren't very sick, so maybe vaccinate the vulnerable and open up more.

It would be so frustrating being a small business owner who had to keep shutting down. The CDC said that 10 times the ppl may have had covid by looking at the immunity in ppl. So if true makes the fatality rate is very very low. I know 3 ppl who've had covid and all weren't very sick, so maybe vaccinate the vulnerable and open up more.
Absolutely, have seen first hand the complete steam-rolling of small business/those within retail & hospitality.

The general public is well aware of the risks, dangers and strategies (vaccination included) to limit your risk.

Not allowing people to make their own decisions is so depressing.

Basically back into Stage 4 restrictions again. Thanks Gladys and compounded by the behaviour of our own numpties. Christ almighty, this is so frustrating but it has got to be done. Oh, and go out and get vaccinated people!

We won't get out of Lockdown until Enough people are Vaccinated

Absolutely, have seen first hand the complete steam-rolling of small business/those within retail & hospitality.

The general public is well aware of the risks, dangers and strategies (vaccination included) to limit your risk.

Not allowing people to make their own decisions is so depressing.

The notion that the general public is equipped to make informed decisions --that will ensure their own protection as well as the safety of others-- is bizarre. Even the basic importance and precaution of wearing a mask is beyond many people.

Surely the fact that 70 people gather for an engagement party tells you where we're at?

The notion that the general public is equipped to make informed decisions --that will ensure their own protection as well as the safety of others-- is bizarre. Even the basic importance and precaution of wearing a mask is beyond many people.

Surely the fact that 70 people gather for an engagement party tells you where we're at?
The Jewish community in East St Kilda. I would have thought they would have a greater degree of social responsibility. https://www.theage.com.au/national/...d-by-positive-covid-case-20210815-p58iz2.html

There's a wide array of people who I thought would have a sense of responsibility to something or someone other than themselves.

This pandemic has liberated me of that fanciful idea.
Celebrate your new freedom with a takeaway coffee drunk through a mask...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back