The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to NZ is not my idea of a bubble. But why haven't you left already? Going to NZ is easy. I have just done a dog sit for a New Zealander returning home to see mum and dad.
I didnt know that. Are $aving up at the moment

Very Good Advice DinoSoar about going ask your Doctor about getting the Vaccine.

That as they can tell you what is the Best Option for you to take with the Vaccine. They will know IF having the Vaccine be worth it with your Risk Chance of Dying because of Getting Covid.

When I was getting Vaccinated it was about the Time the Clot news 1st Came Out. Luckily my Dad had an Appointment with our Doctor the Day Before so I went down and asked him about it. He said I had lot more Chance of Dying from Covid IF I got it. Plus he said my Blood Thinners I take now since my Massive Blood Clots in 2017 that will also help me not get clots

Last edited:

Had your shot yet GG?
Even fully vaccinated it looks unlikely that you will get to your preferred destination this year, our even first half 2022.
Though I have a sneaky feeling that Morrison is repeatedly stating no border opening until late 2022, as a political ploy. Opening borders well ahead of that timeline would surely boost his electoral advantage.
I had my first shot a couple of weeks back. When I leave here will be determined by entry requirements for other countries, not by border openings here. I am going for the short long term while I still have some health to boast about. This country will be miles behind others in releasing its grip on the controls and I cannot wait for it to get in step with the rest of the world.

Just Beause I might Not Spell something Right?

I think B_W forgot to put a smiley in there Dave. He did not mean to make a joke at your expense, only wanted to take the opportunity for some cheeky word-play.

Besides Dave, who else has been vaccinated?

I have been asked by my doctor to make an appointment but I don't want to take AZ. In the USA, you have a choice of 4.
I am actually willing to pay for the vaccine of my choice which is either Moderna or Pfizer.

Here? One depending on the age group/risk factor.

Talking to others in my age group especially migrants over 50, none have any confidence in AZ and aren't going to be vaccinated. I doubt we will reach herd immunity at this rate.

I had the same concerns and still do to some extent, but i read an article last week that "fit the facts" as I know it. At the time, I was prepared to wait for PF. Some of these facts include that AZ doesnt have the success rate of PF and a lot of the encouragement to get it is by people who are advocating it because of concerns about community health, rather than my individual health. This only supported my view. Then it said that itwas clear that it might take a while for me to get a PF shot - well into next year - and the risks associated with covid are more than the risks and reduced immunity delivered by AZ. It then went on to recommend an AZ shot now and then get a PF booster as it becomes more available next year. As I said, I think that course of action fit the facts - at least for me. If I got the AZ now and didnt do anything else, I would still be nervous about the 2 in 10 chance of getting the virus. Although PF isnt 100%, I'd still be more confident going overseas after i get it next year.

And as an aside, I said to my doctor that I'd be happy to pay for the Pfizer. I would think it would be helpful if clinics were set up to deliver pfizer to those who want to pay. I dont see the problem, if the gov't runs a system for those who dont want to pay

I had the same concerns and still do to some extent, but i read an article last week that "fit the facts" as I know it. At the time, I was prepared to wait for PF. Some of these facts include that AZ doesnt have the success rate of PF and a lot of the encouragement to get it is by people who are advocating it because of concerns about community health, rather than my individual health. This only supported my view. Then it said that itwas clear that it might take a while for me to get a PF shot - well into next year - and the risks associated with covid are more than the risks and reduced immunity delivered by AZ. It then went on to recommend an AZ shot now and then get a PF booster as it becomes more available next year. As I said, I think that course of action fit the facts - at least for me. If I got the AZ now and didnt do anything else, I would still be nervous about the 2 in 10 chance of getting the virus. Although PF isnt 100%, I'd still be more confident going overseas after i get it next year.

And as an aside, I said to my doctor that I'd be happy to pay for the Pfizer. I would think it would be helpful if clinics were set up to deliver pfizer to those who want to pay. I dont see the problem, if the gov't runs a system for those who dont want to pay

Unless you're concerned about catching a minor illness, you've got it the wrong way around. Both vaccines are pretty similar in terms of individual health and reducing to negligible the likelihood of serious illness from exposure to covid. Where Pfizer is better is that it looks like it is reducing spread more and is thus superior in terms community health. But if only one is available - that one offers more protection to both the individual and the community. (the equation for the individual with az changes though depending on how much covid is around)

Depending on where overseas you want to go, if you're AZ vaccinated, you should be more concerned about viruses like dengue, malaria, etc ... or food poisoning. Unless of course new strains change the equations.

Last edited:
Unless you're concerned about catching a minor illness, you've got it the wrong way around. Both vaccines are pretty similar in terms of individual health and reducing to negligible the likelihood of serious illness from exposure to covid. Where Pfizer is better is that it looks like it is reducing spread more and is thus superior in terms community health. But if only one is available - that one offers more protection to both the individual and the community. (the equation for the individual with az changes though depending on how much covid is around)

Depending on where overseas you want to go, if you're AZ vaccinated, you should be more concerned about viruses like dengue, malaria, etc ... or food poisoning. Unless of course new strains change the equations.

Pfizer is better because it protects a higher proportion of people from getting the virus. both vaccines will reduce symptons.

Obviously if only one is available, as it is now to people over 50, then it is better to get az than nothing. People in charge want older people to get AZ BECAUSE it is available, made here and does the job 80% of the time. However, if an individual wants the best protection than Pfizer is best for all people because it is over 90%.

i will continue to look around but this is how i see it at prsent

Pfizer is better because it protects a higher proportion of people from getting the virus. both vaccines will reduce symptons.

Obviously if only one is available, as it is now to people over 50, then it is better to get az than nothing. People in charge want older people to get AZ BECAUSE it is available, made here and does the job 80% of the time. However, if an individual wants the best protection than Pfizer is best for all people because it is over 90%.

For the individual, it's better protection against getting a bit sick, but it's the same protection in terms of serious illness.

For the individual, it's better protection against getting a bit sick, but it's the same protection in terms of serious illness.

yes that is the general understanding i get. I would prefer the pfizer. I cant get it. I will get the AZ now and get the pfizer next year when i can buy it or it becomes available to oldies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

following on..... people in charge dont care if i get a bit sick. I do. people in charge just care if i die and become a statistic, so AZ does the job.

I beg to differ. I prefer not to get a little sick and hopefully not acquire the longterm problems that many people are getting ....as a result of getting the virus and getting over it, but having longer term problems. People in charge dont care too much about that. They just want us all to get the jab and get the wheels of industry moving again

and i'd be happy to pay $100 to get pfizer now if i could....but we are worried about people under 50 who dont want to pay...

such is life

Absolutely Dave.
But considering we have zero community transmission of Covid. And I’m country based. And the fact that the clots are 1:100,000 for AZ, compared to 1:200,000 for Pfizer, I think I’ll take the 6 month wait and have 50% less chance of a life threatening side-effect.
I’m not looking at OS or even interstate travel this year, so any threats of border closures don’t worry me.

We been thinking of Maybe going to Noosa later this year but unless Borders Rules Change(Like People who are Fully Vaccinated have Different Rules about Borders) then we won't be going anywhere outside of Victoria in 2021

Agree, the other point about Pfizer I thought that it is also a better protection against some of the variants that are around. Different make up to the others.

We been thinking of Maybe going to Noosa later this year but unless Borders Rules Change(Like People who are Fully Vaccinated have Different Rules about Borders) then we won't be going anywhere outside of Victoria in 2021
My friend is holidaying at Lord Howe Island at the moment and didn't need the vaccine jab to go there.

Corrupts?
Did you read the article or just the headline? I think she's spot on.
Couldn't agree more. Mid 22 reopening of the border is ridiculous when Europe is currently opening up for US and UK vaccinated tourists while we are cowering in a bunker determined to stay hidden for another 12 months. Doesn't help much when people are refusing the only vaccine available to them while declaring that the high number of AZ refusers will delay herd mentality. As stated elsewhere, I believe those unwilling to take a vaccine should be included in the immunised numbers. It's their choice to refuse but should not be their choice to hold the country to ransom thinking an opening should be delayed till the vaccine of their choosing becomes available. 1 in 3 Australians are apparently unlikely to take the jab, and supposedly the situation is getting worse. I would like to see the borders thrown open to force people to make a choice and let them take their chances if they don't want the jab.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Mid 22 reopening of the border is ridiculous when Europe is currently opening up for US and UK vaccinated tourists while we are cowering in a bunker determined to stay hidden for another 12 months. Doesn't help much when people are refusing the only vaccine available to them while declaring that the high number of AZ refusers will delay herd mentality. As stated elsewhere, I believe those unwilling to take a vaccine should be included in the immunised numbers. It's their choice to refuse but should not be their choice to hold the country to ransom thinking an opening should be delayed till the vaccine of their choice is available. 1 in 3 Australians are apparently unlikely to take the jab, and supposedly the situation is getting worse. I would like to see the borders thrown open to force people to make a choice and let them take their chances if they don't want the jab.
And it's not just borders. The way things stand, in the next few months, there will probably be some form or shape of lockdown, be it a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or longer. Lockdowns to protect those over 50s who have chosen not to protect themselves. I'm not sure how people will feel about waiting for Pfizer if that occurs.

Last edited:
Agree, the other point about Pfizer I thought that it is also a better protection against some of the variants that are around. Different make up to the others.

exactly. I think AZ doesnt do so well against the south african variant...and maybe the brazilian. But in the end I'm going to get the AZ for the short term protection and then get the pfizer when i want to travel overseas. I just got the flu injection yesterday. You just pump em in and hope to make it to the finish line in one piece....death i.e.

One case.
And the media go wild!
The reporting is really over the top here, there is good news, contacts of the positive case have tested negative. But the news services don’t lead with that.
They lead with outrage and scare tactics.
It shits me.
Besides, I don’t think this positive case is real. Because every positive case that has possible contact venues listed (even in NZ) has always, ALWAYS, had a visitation to a Bunnings store. Yes even NZ!
No Bunnings visit = fake news…….
Got my flu shot yesterday and we were talking about the covid shot and this. Likened it to a shark attack and a car crash, unless the car crash is an absolutely horror show ala Final Destination type event then a single shark attack will always ‘outrank’ it in importance of coverage.
Despite the needless loss of hundreds of lives on the roads yearly.

And it's not just borders. The way things stand, in the next few months, there will probably be some form or shape of lockdown, be it a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or longer. Lockdowns to protect those over 50s who have chosen not to protect themselves. I'm not sure how people will feel about waiting for Pfizer if that occurs.
A good name for a play or novel, 'Waiting for Pfizer'. The twists and turns, and ultimately pitfalls, of delaying the administration of the elixir of life, not sure of its availability, while rejecting the readily available AZ. New strains, quarantine leaks and breakouts, anti vax terrorists blow up the factory, two classes of society, the vaxxed v the vaxxed not, revolution in the streets with social distancing and masks, permanently closed border etc. Humour, pathos, tragedy, irony , romance. It will have the lot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back