The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why shouldn't we know? People need to be prepared to defend choices they make in life if their decisions affect the welfare of the entire population. I don't want to live in a society that withholds statistics that would ordinarily be freely available. We know that under 40s are reluctant to take that jab but that doesn't cause people to vilify that age group.
How will having that information affect your life or decisions you make?

Why shouldn't we know? People need to be prepared to defend choices they make in life if their decisions affect the welfare of the entire population. I don't want to live in a society that withholds statistics that would ordinarily be freely available. We know that under 40s are reluctant to take that jab but that doesn't cause people to vilify that age group.

It's an intersting one as I sort of agree with you, but I also have little doubt that the data would be decontextualised to create often inaccurate stereotypes, eg. we'd only end up with the bottom line percentages for each area, but areas with younger demographics would have much lower rates at the moment, due to children not yet being eligible and in most of Australia most under 40s only having access to a vaccine that doctors are telling them not to take.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's an intersting one as I sort of agree with you, but I also have little doubt that the data would be decontextualised to create often inaccurate stereotypes, eg. we'd only end up with the bottom line percentages for each area, but areas with younger demographics would have much lower rates at the moment, due to children not yet being eligible and in most of Australia most under 40s only having access to a vaccine that doctors are telling them not to take.
No one other than the highly committed will be interested in accessing the figures, and those people should be intent on contextualising the statistics by weighing up the variables to make genuine sense of the numbers. I don't see the likes of Alan Jones using these kind of statistics to make a case against a particular ethnic or religious group. Why would he wish to highlight the participation rate of a group that shunned the vaccine when the information would not sit well with his agenda? We already know which suburbs in cities have the highest rates of covid infection. Why should we not also know the vaccination rates achieved in every postcode?

Under 40s have only a 2% vaccination rate in NSW. Access to AZ for this age group should spur an increase in numbers - if not, given the crisis in Sydney, I would be very interested to know why not. Without publication of figures, how is the ordinary person to judge what chance there is for Australia to reach the minimum 80% target required to make elimination a realistic target? Reluctance to take the vaccine is currently sitting at around 21%, an improvement of about 10% from several months back, but still a large enough group to prevent the target being achieved.

Statistics provide useful springboard for the formation of informed opinions. I can see no valid reason for not providing access to basic numbers related to the running of society. Through learning about how different groups in society react to a given set of circumstances, we are able to target advice and assistance and move forward as a society.

I do agree. The state I'm in has set some pretty lofty targets for vaccination rates, I've been trying to find the actual data of what's occurring in order to give me some hope, but can only find whole country stats.

I don't like your chances of getting it though. Until recently, Australia and China were two of very few countries in the world not releasing countrywide data on number of people single or double vaccinated.

Gee numbers in NSW climbing daily and very little change to the messaging.
Glady's press conferences are a disaster, barely answering questions.

Biggest concern is that 158 of those are under investigation.

Keep it there, we are over it. Build that wall!!

Yet Alan Jones keeps telling his faithful to do the opposite. Interesting example of when is free speech not free speech?

News Corp’s Sydney tabloid The Daily Telegraph will stop publishing columns from controversial broadcaster Alan Jones after weeks of anti-vaccination and anti-lockdown commentary.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yet Alan Jones keeps telling his faithful to do the opposite. Interesting example of when is free speech not free speech?

News Corp’s Sydney tabloid The Daily Telegraph will stop publishing columns from controversial broadcaster Alan Jones after weeks of anti-vaccination and anti-lockdown commentary.
Geez Jones is a worm. It's one thing to be anti-restrictions, quite another to be anti-vax.

But he would certainly enjoy the current posts on the unserious thread.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geez Jones is a worm. It's one thing to be anti-restrictions, quite another to be anti-vax.

But he would certainly enjoy the current posts on the unserious thread.
when covid reached us, he put himself into iso and started broadcasting his radio program from home while spouting this. There’s no substance, it’s all about brand with him.

Hopefully most of those at risk with co-morbidities are immunized or get it done really quickly with whatever vaccine they can get. Delta is off to the races. Once the contract tracers are swamped, lockdown doesn't eliminate it, as it can spread amongst those who follow the rules in a way that the Wuhan strain didn't.

Hopefully most of those at risk with co-morbidities are immunized or get it done really quickly with whatever vaccine they can get. Delta is off to the races. Once the contract tracers are swamped, lockdown doesn't eliminate it, as it can spread amongst those who follow the rules in a way that the Wuhan strain didn't.
Yes, it is really sad, think she handled it badly from the beginning. Especially by not recognising it isn't the same strain and needed to be handled differently.

Not sure if numbers from protest march are in either. It is the unknowns that are of concern because as you state, contract tracers under real pressure.

I thought Vic were sending some help in that area.

Interesting question posed by a poster in another thread:

Why does every other state follow medical advice and now lock down fast…? But NSW are also following medical advice but didn’t lock down?
Bin chicken either ignored the advice or the advice was wrong?

Yes, it is really sad, think she handled it badly from the beginning. Especially by not recognising it isn't the same strain and needed to be handled differently.

Not sure if numbers from protest march are in either. It is the unknowns that are of concern because as you state, contract tracers under real pressure.

I thought Vic were sending some help in that area.
Yep. They stuffed up. This outbreak was manageable as they got case one really early - that won't always be the case. It's now too late for contact tracers even with Vic support - they'd lost control when cases were a 10th of what they are today.

They've got the choice between a style of lockdown that Australia hasn't yet seen - everyone other than essential workers in isolation. No leaving the home for any reason other than medical and essential work. Home deliveries only. Or the choice of vaccination, the current lockdown to flatten the curve and living with it. I can't see them going with the former choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There really isn't much difference between Dan's brutal lockdown and ring of steel and Gladys's supposedly pissweak form:

The bolded below is why it's not working. That caused stuff all transmission with previous strains, because you needed more sustained contact to catch it.

In a stark admission last week, Berejiklian said the majority of new cases infectious in the community were “derived from critical activity” – either essential workers or people buying groceries and medicines – and said further restrictions were unlikely to reduce these types of transmissions.

Last edited:

Alan Jones is Simply an Idiot and I guess show the News Corp are part of Liberal Propaganda Machine

Agree put the wall of Steel around NSW as no one should be allowed out with there massive Numbers of Cases

TheGreatGrundy here are some stats you might find interesting, which is strange as Gladys said:

On Wednesday, when announcing changes to visitor numbers in Greater Sydney, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said "children under 12 have been proven not to be carriers or transmitters of the disease".

More from NSW Health:
342E9B9C-DBAC-4EB2-8280-4213A20DC74C.jpeg

TheGreatGrundy here are some stats you might find interesting, which is strange as Gladys said:

On Wednesday, when announcing changes to visitor numbers in Greater Sydney, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said "children under 12 have been proven not to be carriers or transmitters of the disease".

Are you sure she said that? They can definitely be carriers, no idea about transmitters. It'd be fantastic if true.

Glady good for a Laugh

Are you sure she said that? They can definitely be carriers, no idea about transmitters. It'd be fantastic if true.
Just checked, she said it last year but shows how things have changed.

Further, that was not the case in the USA as they were widely reporting children do get it and transmit.

She is really going lone wolf on this and those figures are showing differently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back