The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see how we can be aiming at 0 cases now. The target seems almost impossible to achieve. As for the 80% vaccination rate, given we are only at 26% now, we may be waiting a long time to hit the magic number. Unlike you, I don't believe the state or country can stay in lockdown till we hit that figure.

I was glad to see channel 9 news exposed the faces of the people who ran and attended the engagement party and even released the names of the engaged couple. About time people who blatantly flout the rules and spread the virus are exposed. The mother is shocked at the hate directed at them and believes they should be forgiven. However those attending appeared to be wealthy and highly educated, with several doctors among them. They should have known better.

They have said they have not as long as all Cases are in Isolation.

We came out of Lockdown with Mutiple Active Cases

ANewDawn

All Australian
Jun 10, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because they had zero active in the community.
Achieving 0 active in the community now is a challenge, partly because we also cannot control the likelihood of infection from the north leaking into the state. We have over 2 weeks to try to reach the zero target but the apparent futility of eliminating the virus in the community is beginning to overwhelm the powers of endurance of many people, particularly when the compliance of the majority is constantly undermined by the irresponsible actions of a minority.

And the government wonders why Victorians are frustrated and just want to get on with life. Basically there's only been 28 days of being able to attend events and 37 days with no distance restriction on movement since the 7 day circuit breaker commencing 27 May 2021. We've also had zero days of what we had prior to that 7 day circuit breaker. Thanks SA and NSW.

Found this summary on reddit by user doigal.

ZH9vpqv.png

And the government wonders why Victorians are frustrated and just want to get on with life. Basically there's only been 28 days of being able to attend events and 37 days with no distance restriction on movement since the 7 day circuit breaker commencing 27 May 2021. We've also had zero days of what we had prior to that 7 day circuit breaker. Thanks SA and NSW.

ZH9vpqv.png

Can blame NSW because they did things differently and more loosely, but you can't blame SA, as they did what Vics have been doing. There's now been a fair few leaks post quarantine, because people are catching it in quarantine. I'm surprised no state has moved to a period of isolation after quarantine hotels as their norm. I think it will come.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

ZH9vpqv.png

1629165773811.png

ANewDawn

All Australian
Jun 10, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
And that ladies and gentlemen, is why you should have got a cat.
A cat doesn’t give a sh*t if you go to work.
A cat doesn't seem to give a s**t if you go away either, provided arrangements are made to have some food thrown its way everyday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuilder

All Australian
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Infectious disease experts say Australia's COVID experience will become a "pandemic of the unvaccinated", as the Delta strain's high infection rate — even among vaccinated people — turns achieving herd immunity into an "impossibility".

In what experts say is already playing out in small numbers in the NSW outbreak, unvaccinated people are being disproportionately represented in the intensive care wards across the world as the infectious Delta strain takes hold.

Current numbers from NSW show of the 66 people in ICU, 59 are not vaccinated and seven have had one dose.

No one currently in ICU or requiring ventilation has been fully vaccinated.

753 cases in NSW and Gladys opens the presser by saying she'll announce on Thursday or Friday changed restrictions for fully vaccinated people commencing in September. Don't imagine compliance will be easy to enforce with different rules for different groups, how are Police etc going to be able to tell the difference without checking everyone?

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
oh well. I cannot see Victoria getting on top of this one. I have been pro lock down all the way through. This slam back into lock down after a week out was just to hard for most of us. I have no answer. We are getting the 2nd jab in 2 days. Our 18 yr old has her 1st jab and our 16 year old will get hers asap. I wish the lock down would work but i think i have given up. That's not to say I won't comply with regulations, I just can't see it working. I would love to be proven wrong.
If those who chose to get vaccinated get more freedoms etc, then I am all for it. One of the freedoms will be not dying from the virus... pretty handy one that.
If the anti Vax mob choose to not be safe and then get long covid or die then that's also freedom. If they live on and have their freedom severely hampered for not getting vaccinated, well, in my eyes that is their freedom to chose.
If they live on and us who get vaccinated grow an extra head due to a long term side effect of the vaccine, then at least people won't have to ask if you got vaccinated or not....
2 heads are better than 1

oh well. I cannot see Victoria getting on top of this one. I have been pro lock down all the way through. This slam back into lock down after a week out was just to hard for most of us. I have no answer. We are getting the 2nd jab in 2 days. Our 18 yr old has her 1st jab and our 16 year old will get hers asap. I wish the lock down would work but i think i have given up. That's not to say I won't comply with regulations, I just can't see it working. I would love to be proven wrong.
If those who chose to get vaccinated get more freedoms etc, then I am all for it. One of the freedoms will be not dying from the virus... pretty handy one that.
If the anti Vax mob choose to not be safe and then get long covid or die then that's also freedom. If they live on and have their freedom severely hampered for not getting vaccinated, well, in my eyes that is their freedom to chose.
If they live on and us who get vaccinated grow an extra head due to a long term side effect of the vaccine, then at least people won't have to ask if you got vaccinated or not....
2 heads are better than 1

No Lockdown and we be probably at least as bad a NSW.

Once the Vaccinated People get to around the Magical 80% then I can see us Opening Up.

I do Struggle to see us Stopping the Delta Strain how it Currently Sits.

Though last 2 Days Cases Numbers gone down but that could sadly also give False Hope but Hopefully Not

Agree when Things Open Up they should bring in something like a Vac Passport to most things

There's heaps more, but those are the ones they've been worried about. Delta is the only one that will result in an altered vaccine. It's likely to be like the flu with vaccines being adjusted regularly over the years and good and bad covid seasons.
Do you know if they are working on a new vaccine for Delta?

Do you know if they are working on a new vaccine for Delta?
Yes Pfizer think they've developed one and have either just begun or are about to begin safety trials. Other companies are developing too. But Pfizer is the relevant one for Aust as Scomo has already ordered boosters for 2022 and 2023. Won't be back of the queue again - unless Pfizer is a dud and someone else develops a good one.

No Lockdown and we be probably at least as bad a NSW.

Once the Vaccinated People get to around the Magical 80% then I can see us Opening Up.

I do Struggle to see us Stopping the Delta Strain how it Currently Sits.

Though last 2 Days Cases Numbers gone down but that could sadly also give False Hope but Hopefully Not

Agree when Things Open Up they should bring in something like a Vac Passport to most things
Regional vic should be open when they have no cases. It’s easy for you and I to want lockdowns, because we aren’t losing money. There were 1250 deaths from the flu in 2017 and god knows how many hospitalised. I know they are trying to stop hospital overload, but it’s destroying so many lives.

Yes Pfizer think they've developed one and have either just begun or are about to begin safety trials. Other companies are developing too. But Pfizer is the relevant one for Aust as Scomo has already ordered boosters for 2022 and 2023. Won't be back of the queue again - unless Pfizer is a dud and someone else develops a good one.
Moderna has one in the making as has J&J I think. I also hear that the J&J currently out now may be considered as the booster in the USA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back