The Serious News Thread

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've seen one or two economists on the Conversation articles when they ask 20 about the road to recovery etc that seem to be reading straight out of that playbook, but they are in the minority it seems.

Amazing how our policy decisions don't mirror what the majority of economists say would be the way to go
I should clarify. They do teach neoclassical economics which is the inspiration for neoliberal economics. The difference being neoclassical economics in its pure form is accepted as having too strong assumptions and reality is quite different. It is a good learning tool and has value for assessing certain situations and making some general statements about economic tendencies. But you can’t use it to manage economies because it has massive shortcomings and it’s assumptions don’t hold.

Yet you decided that was why Murphy got the sentence he did. Tell me how many footballers have done jail time for assaulting their spouse. Ffs Carey glassed his partner and is now a TV personality.
I just got told a statistic from a book that was published last year that no AFL footballer from 1999 onwards had been convicted on sexual assault charges brought against them.
Some had pleaded down to lesser charges but it was out of 55 cases.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yet you decided that was why Murphy got the sentence he did. Tell me how many footballers have done jail time for assaulting their spouse. Ffs Carey glassed his partner and is now a TV personality.
I did no such thing. I merely pointed out the ridiculousness of attributing good or bad decisions to race. Such an attribution is overly simplistic, often irrational, regularly bordering on racism and stupid. Yet that never stopped a protest of 10,000 in the CBD during a pandemic.

I did no such thing. I merely pointed out the ridiculousness of attributing good or bad decisions to race. Such an attribution is overly simplistic, often irrational, regularly bordering on racism and stupid. Yet that never stopped a protest of 10,000 in the CBD during a pandemic.
No you were suggesting the sentencing was soft because it was an indigenous person assaulting a white person

The reality is that justice often is soft on domestic abuse, violence against women in general and especially when the perp is a current or former sportsman

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As you say looks like racism from where I am watching. You implied Murphy got off lightly because he is indigenous and assaulted a white woman. You should be disgusted with yourself.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As you say looks like racism from where I am watching. You implied Murphy got off lightly because he is indigenous and assaulted a white woman. You should be disgusted with yourself.
Very happy and not disgusted. Just proving a point rather well I think. I never implied that Murphy got off lightly because of his race (although that is a possibility- who knows what was in the judges head, you know unconscious bias and such). I was merely being satirical and everyone who took my post to be a racial slur lack the IQ to get the point. We have a society of victims ready to be outraged at everything. Race is weaponised and it feels uncomfortable when it flips the wrong way to the predominant (or your) agenda. Yet I should be ashamed of myself? For what? Telling it like it is? Go back to my post and pick the bit that isn’t factually correct.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very happy and not disgusted. Just proving a point rather well I think. I never implied that Murphy got off lightly because of his race (although that is a possibility- who knows what was in the judges head, you know unconscious bias and such). I was merely being satirical and everyone who took my post to be a racial slur lack the IQ to get the point. We have a society of victims ready to be outraged at everything. Race is weaponised and it feels uncomfortable when it flips the wrong way to the predominant (or your) agenda. Yet I should be ashamed of myself? For what? Telling it like it is? Go back to my post and pick the bit that isn’t factually correct.
The only thing you proved is that you have a chip on your shoulder.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only thing you proved is that you have a chip on your shoulder.
Still playing the man and not the ball. I wonder why? Why don’t you just cancel me because my opinion and facts are just too difficult to cope with.

Still playing the man and not the ball. I wonder why? Why don’t you just cancel me because my opinion and facts are just too difficult to cope with.
What opinion and facts?
You said imagine the outrage if he was white and she was indigenous

Do you think there isn't outrage currently? I can tell you everyone I know who has heard that he got out after 6 months while she is injured for life is outraged and I can tell you none of them think it's about race.

You weren't being satirical with your comments

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You said everyone who didn’t get your point lacks the IQ...I assure you that the IQ of other posters isn’t the issue here.

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I suggest you go back and reread what you posted. I also suggest you look up the definition of satire. There is no confusion about what you wrote, the words have definite meaning. You may not be bright enough to realise what you wrote but the words are there and they are very easy to interpret. You can continue to dig a hole for yourself and keep emphasising one of two things; your racism or your stupidity, you choose.

Mr Lizard

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1596591599270.png

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
So what odds are bookies paying that the old codger'll live our his first term?

Fastest-paced era in history and they put a 77 year old boomer in charge. RIP American hegemony.

So what odds are bookies paying that the old codger'll live our his first term?

Fastest-paced era in history and they put a 77 year old boomer in charge. RIP American hegemony.

he is in pretty good nick - does a lot of cycling

Just can’t construct a sentence anymore

It has been reported his stutter returns when he is tired
It’s amusing that’s been the focus rather than ridding the world of a narcissistic despot

Last edited:
Back