Review The s**t, the sad, and the fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

He has to say that. He can't say "Well, now we're out of the race we're going to blood some new blokes and fix up some others' injuries", even if that's what he does (which I'd like, btw).
The other side of it is that of we beat them next week, we can put a dent in their 2018 aspirations (which I'd like, too :))

He cant say we are tanking I know.

But he can overplay the underdog card.

only saw the 2nd half of the game - I had an agreement with one of the guys I play footy with who is a Dees supporter that we would have an amnesty that night regardless of the result - he kept his side of the deal

I just forgot there was another Dees supporter in our team who was there and who couldn't wipe his s**t eating grin off his face all night - he loved Tex's game in particular

only saw the 2nd half of the game - I had an agreement with one of the guys I play footy with who is a Dees supporter that we would have an amnesty that night regardless of the result - he kept his side of the deal

I just forgot there was another Dees supporter in our team who was there and who couldn't wipe his s**t eating grin off his face all night - he loved Tex's game in particular
Never actually met someone who barracks for Melbourne
54 years and counting
AFL to the rescue

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I thought Milera was our best on a scrappy night. Has a confidence that I like to see. One time he Stuffed up; made up for the error; stuffed up again and made up again and got the ball away. He took them on.
I missed the first half (BBQ out in the scrub here) but I did hear the half-time commentators speak highly of Milera so I thought I'd watch him closely in the second half.
I'm pretty sure that one of his first kicks in the third quarter dribbled off his foot, Mrouch-like at his worst, turnover, Melb. goal. Not long after he did a Hail Mary handball, turnover, Melb. goal. When defenders get beaten on occasion by an opponent or by superior opposition play, that's just a part of the job. But when a defender's blatant mistakes result in TWO goals for the oppo, it can be hugely demoralising for the team.
It certainly added to Melbourne's 10-to-one goalspree momentum.
Let's suppose he helped prevent two other Melbourne goals through good play (which is his job).
Nett effect: zero.

We were never going to play finals. Just beat the filth next week and tank after that.

8ae.gif

That horrendous dribble kick or brain fart or whatever it was that possessed him to do that you want to call it taking the game on?? Come on it was a monumental **** up that resulted in a goal. He did some truly amazing shimmies and evasions and some absolute precision kicking on the night but the 2 absolute **** ups that resulted in easy goals to the Dees along with his team high 7 turnovers should not be glossed over either.

Worst kicks of all are missed set shots

I just can't fathom why the coaches have no plan B for when Sloane is tagged out of the game. He's a good overhead mark for his size and a decent set-shot. Why not throw him up forward instead of him battling in the midfield where he can't touch it when he's being tagged out?

Absolutely agree absolutely

Worst kicks of all are missed set shots
We kick straight, we win that game, but that applies to most teams. It was our points from hitting the post gave me "FOREST WHITAKER EYE" - RichardS278 (The most hilarious thing ever posted on this board, except for some of silent J's idiotic rants)

That horrendous dribble kick or brain fart or whatever it was that possessed him to do that you want to call it taking the game on?? Come on it was a monumental **** up that resulted in a goal. He did some truly amazing shimmies and evasions and some absolute precision kicking on the night but the 2 absolute **** ups that resulted in easy goals to the Dees along with his team high 7 turnovers should not be glossed over either.
He is still learning. With time those turnover will reduce.

Errors like that happen when a kid takes the game on and tries to be creative.

If he is still.doing it after 100 games it is a concern.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Never actually met someone who barracks for Melbourne
54 years and counting
AFL to the rescue

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
I work with one. He's the most smug, arrogoant, campaigner of a supporter of a basketcase team who are professional losers that you'd ever meet. I work with Port supporters who are less of a dickhead than this bloke. Makes it all that much worse that we are so s**t against them in particular because he just ******* loves bringing the scarf in after Adelaide games. We're 6-6 since I started working here, a shocking record against a team that's been s**t for every single one of those years (apart from this year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see a lot of blame is being put on our lost of stoppages and centre clearances.

The same happened when we beat the Cats.

The difference against the Dees is that we lost Seedsman who is part of the unit that does start our attacks, our HB line. We are not a big scorer from stoppages or centre bounces. We are a rebounding from HB side.

Losing Seed early changed the game. His stats were probably not great but it allowed the Dess to clamp down on Laird and Milera.

That and hitting the post five times plus our terrible forward play with Tex, Jenkins and Gov being non entities.

Our forwardline looks like assssss at the moment. They are just not working well together at all and look like a bunch of headless chickens. Comparing that tot last year is even worse....

Our inside 50s were extremely average too, AGAIN. A lot of hit and hopes, but even then they were never to the advantage of our forwards. It was always on top of a Melbourne guy's head or to a leading Melbourne player.

Honestly how hard is it to put it 5m in front of Gov at the VERY worst, so he can get a run and jump.

We were so good at crafting out opportunities and creating something out of nothing last year. This year work between the midfield and forward line has been an absolute circus.

Our inside 50s were extremely average too, AGAIN. A lot of hit and hopes, but even then they were never to the advantage of our forwards. It was always on top of a Melbourne guy's head or to a leading Melbourne player.

Honestly how hard is it to put it 5m in front of Gov at the VERY worst, so he can get a run and jump.

We were so good at crafting out opportunities and creating something out of nothing last year. This year work between the midfield and forward line has been an absolute circus.

I sound like a broken record but a lot of the above rests with the midfield coaching, we don't kick to our forwards advantage, it is not the forwards fault - it is our gameplan that allows our forwards to ALWAYS be outnumbered PLUS our diabolical midfield setup/execution.

You can't see on TV but at centre bounces we start 5v6 or 5v7 in our forward line, add in our bang it in high to the defenders advantage and out she comes.

I've never not renewed or even contemplated not renewing my memberships but there needs to be changes in our coaching/fitness departments come end of season.

Unbeleivable but the AFC have become even more 'comfortable" and secure with their positions and it starts at the top.

CHAPMAN MUST GO, BLOODY ARSECLOWN.

Our forwardline looks like assssss at the moment. They are just not working well together at all and look like a bunch of headless chickens. Comparing that tot last year is even worse....

Gov should be our number one I50 target.

My comment re the 3 years is that whenever he plays badly - the excuse is always that he must be injured, I am not saying that he has played badly for 3 years just that it is the go-to excuse for Tex.

People with agendas always complain when asked to support their wild assertions

I sound like a broken record but a lot of the above rests with the midfield coaching, we don't kick to our forwards advantage, it is not the forwards fault - it is our gameplan that allows our forwards to ALWAYS be outnumbered PLUS our diabolical midfield setup/execution.

You can't see on TV but at centre bounces we start 5v6 or 5v7 in our forward line, add in our bang it in high to the defenders advantage and out she comes.

I've never not renewed or even contemplated not renewing my memberships but there needs to be changes in our coaching/fitness departments come end of season.

Unbeleivable but the AFC have become even more 'comfortable" and secure with their positions and it starts at the top.

CHAPMAN MUST GO, BLOODY ARSECLOWN.

Yeah it's an odd one, our efficiency going inside 50 has always looked lame in my eyes, but yet the stats for 2017 proved otherwise. This year it's been terrible though. There were a few times Jenkins was one out in the goal square and all we had to do was put it on his head and give him a genuine 50/50, and yet we were kicking it over his head, to the left, short of him, all sorts. And the small forwards were nowhere to be seen either for the crumb.

I've also been a huge critic of the way in which our midfield operates, mainly defensively, but our forward 50 entries have been particularly bad this year. A lot of work needs to be done in the off-season both in terms of coaching and structure.

Did Milera's work in traffic on Sat night make anyone else think that maybe he's now got enough size and confidence to spend some time going through the Middle?

Dont get me wrong, I love him off the HBF, but now he seems to be playing with so much more intensity and confidence (which was always the knock I had on him), I just wouldn't mind seeing him go through the guts a bit over the next month.

Last edited:
Did Milera's work in traffic on Sat night make anyone else think that maybe he's now got enough size and confidence to spend some going time through the Middle?

Dont get me wrong, I love him off the HBF, but now he seems to be playing with so much more intensity and confidence (which was always the knock I had on him), I just wouldn't mind seeing him go through the guts a bit over the next month.
We is more suited to it than Smithers.

Has that "Matrix" ability to slow time in congestion.

We is more suited to it than Smithers.

Has that "Matrix" ability to slow time in congestion.

Haha, you're right he totally does Matrix it out there!

Yeah the Smith in the Midfield thing was always a beautiful concept, but it never really took hold. Smith's an elite straight line player which makes him an exceptional line breaking HBF, but Milera has that 360 degree vision that he loves to use, which makes him look like a natural midfielder.

I hate to take him away from the HBF when he's going from strength too strength back there, but he's looking soooo comfortable in traffic now, that it just seems logical that we try and maximise that talent.

I see a lot of blame is being put on our lost of stoppages and centre clearances.

The same happened when we beat the Cats.

The difference against the Dees is that we lost Seedsman who is part of the unit that does start our attacks, our HB line. We are not a big scorer from stoppages or centre bounces. We are a rebounding from HB side.

Losing Seed early changed the game. His stats were probably not great but it allowed the Dess to clamp down on Laird and Milera.

That and hitting the post five times plus our terrible forward play with Tex, Jenkins and Gov being non entities.

We're absolutely rooted if your entire team functioning is dependent on Paul Seedsman being in the side.

Haha, you're right he totally does Matrix it out there!

Yeah the Smith in the Midfield thing was always a beautiful concept, but it never really took hold. Smith's an elite straight line player which makes him an exceptional line breaking HBF, but Milera has that 360 degree vision that he loves to use, which makes him look like a natural midfielder.

I hate to take him away from the HBF when he's going from strength too strength back there, but he's looking soooo comfortable in traffic now, that it just seems logical that we try and maximise that talent.

Again I see so much of Wells in him, I think he definitely needs to move onto a wing.

Also our inside 50 kicking is ****ing s**t house, so we need Milera delivering the ball a lot more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back