Review The s**t, the sad, and the fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about the power stance the other day. Whoever thought of doing this and then whoever signed off on it has obviously never played competitive sport. IMO this was actually a mass sign off weakness in that we had to come up with a stance to look tough in front of the opposition. I would imagine Hardwick would have used this as a huge psychological advantage. "look at them guys, they know they are not tough so they have to invent a stance to try and scare us. SMASH THEM!!" When Richmond got physical, as expected, most AFC players succumbed to their aggression and pressure. If we did make the GF this year I reckon we would have been smashed by more.

There really are alot of ordinary people running this club. A complete 360 in culture and direction is needed.
It was obvious at the time. We were trying to look tough, Richmond were tough.

Ive come to the conclusion that the majority of our squad simply dont have it in them. Great skills but not enough intestial fortitude to go the distance and respond consistently under pressure. They constantly have their pride dented by the oppo, but dont seem to be too fussed about it. Ive never seen them come out the next week really breathing fire after a dissapointing loss. Albeit maybe for half of the first quarter. Even Clarkson couldnt coach this mob to a GF win.
I probably differ here. For mine we've punched way above our weight. Our only top 10 draft pick left us (not counting 29 yr old Carltonised Gibbs). If Danger had stayed I have no doubt we'd have a flag.

All the recent premiers have that inner squad of top end guns.

Martin pick 3. Cotchin pick 2.

Bont pick 4. Stringer pick 5.

Hodge pick 1. Roughead pick 2. Buddy pick 5.

McVeigh pick 5. Rohan pick 6. Plus cola.

Bartel pick 8. Mackie pick 7. Selwood pick 7. Plus all their father/sons.

You just need that spark of class.

We did what we could with a moneyball list and got achingly close. But now we're burned out.

With this year's draft of SA guns its up to us to get creative and drive our own destiny. You just can't do it without that top end talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back