The shape of the Sherrin.

Remove this Banner Ad

subiacojim

Draftee
May 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been around since South Melbourne days and seen many changes. I wonder sometimes
about the impact of waterproofing the footballs in relation to goalkicking accuracy.

Back in the 70's, the ball seemed to be fatter; that is, the sweet spot was larger on each end.
With the advent of new balls this 'spot' seems to have diminished. Very rare in the old days to see
footballers miss a goal from 30 metres out dead in front or even kick it out of bounds.
I know the game has got faster - very little recovery time before taking your kick. But to counter
that, the game is now professional, the athletes are fitter and recovery times are superior.

Coaches don't encourage Torpedoes any more due to miss-kicks and, even though stab kicks
and drop kicks are shunned because the game got faster I doubt the average player could now
execute them due to the shape of the ball.

I would like to see a 70's ball next to a modern Sherrin I wonder if the shape of the modern
ball has been beneficial.

Any thoughts?

You are right. Was a different shape, more rounded ends as you say. I have attached some photos of an old footy compared to a more modern ones. They are all Sherrins. The older ball was used in a match at Vic Park 23/8/1969. Peter McKenna kicked 16 that day and a few of the balls ended up out on Trenerry Cres at the Yarra Falls end off McKennas boot. That was one of them. My dad knew Jim Crowe who was VP at that time and he collected one, got it signed and gave it to us. You can see faded signatures of McKenna, Tuddy, Lee Adamson and Wayne Richardson. Ball needs a new bladder but you can see it’s a bit bigger and clearly rounded.

Attachments

• D142BC74-9515-4D5C-A415-AE62A958D46E.jpeg
    D142BC74-9515-4D5C-A415-AE62A958D46E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 112
  • B172C68E-113E-4A50-86F2-80D034DA63EB.jpeg
    B172C68E-113E-4A50-86F2-80D034DA63EB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • 4BD36EB7-7D3A-4CE9-83BD-106DABC43EDA.jpeg
    4BD36EB7-7D3A-4CE9-83BD-106DABC43EDA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 06C4824F-7175-474B-8349-67C8C1068BF8.jpeg
    06C4824F-7175-474B-8349-67C8C1068BF8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • EB528B80-DF9A-445B-AA6E-AF7B92014AE4.jpeg
    EB528B80-DF9A-445B-AA6E-AF7B92014AE4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
  • 6B74F67A-0FFE-4DA4-B086-B8FA0B37DDEA.jpeg
    6B74F67A-0FFE-4DA4-B086-B8FA0B37DDEA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 89

P.S the divot just under McKennas signature came on one of the times me and my
brothers snuck it out for a kick in the backyard. Rose bush clearly had big thorns

Been around since South Melbourne days and seen many changes. I wonder sometimes
about the impact of waterproofing the footballs in relation to goalkicking accuracy.

Back in the 70's, the ball seemed to be fatter; that is, the sweet spot was larger on each end.
With the advent of new balls this 'spot' seems to have diminished. Very rare in the old days to see
footballers miss a goal from 30 metres out dead in front or even kick it out of bounds.
I know the game has got faster - very little recovery time before taking your kick. But to counter
that, the game is now professional, the athletes are fitter and recovery times are superior.

Coaches don't encourage Torpedoes any more due to miss-kicks and, even though stab kicks
and drop kicks are shunned because the game got faster I doubt the average player could now
execute them due to the shape of the ball.

I would like to see a 70's ball next to a modern Sherrin I wonder if the shape of the modern
ball has been beneficial.

Any thoughts?

This would be a good thread for the main board I reckon, as far as the shape goes do you (or anyone) have evidence that the shape has changed?

I have no doubt some of the kicking issues, especially in wet/dewy conditions are due to the poor quality of the ball.

I'd love to have a major international brand develop a new ball that is better to kick and more resistant to sweat/dew/rain.

P.S the divot just under McKennas signature came on one of the times me and my
brothers snuck it out for a kick in the backyard. Rose bush clearly had big thorns

So how did you come into possession of the footy? I mean, it kinda sounds like you stole it from your family?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So how did you come into possession of the footy? I mean, it kinda sounds like you stole it from your family?

They gave GC the footy when he decided to study medicine

His alternative was law, so the family rallied around to save his soul

GC also received his Aunt Mavis’ chenille eiderdown - pics coming when ottoman starts a thread about extracting nasty stains from bedding

GC also received his Aunt Mavis’ chenille eiderdown - pics coming when ottoman starts a thread about extracting nasty stains from bedding
ottoman has recently set up a thriving business restoring bedding / linen to a pristine state - he has the contract for all hotels used as hubs by the AFL - he's hoping to buy 5 Greek Islands and retire at the end of 2021.
1610228349826.png

I have no doubt some of the kicking issues, especially in wet/dewy conditions are due to the poor quality of the ball.

I'd love to have a major international brand develop a new ball that is better to kick and more resistant to sweat/dew/rain.
Have we learnt nothing from the Covid pandemic?
Cant rely on importing essential items anymore. Can you imagine the great ball shortage of ‘22 impacting the season?

I recall mum using the term favourite son when she gave me the ball. If you had been a better son I am sure your mother would have done similar things for you

Very astute deductions. Mum lead the rallying. I was always surprised when she wasn’t so worried about losing some of the others to the dark side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he left home, GC’s mum gave him his favourite blanket to take with him. Or I should say blankets. By then it had snapped in two.

This thread just seems destined to be derailed and become our new Nathan Freeman thread.
I can sense it.
subiacojim thanks for opening it. It may not stay on topic but it could become legendary.
Don't be surprised if pics of food and dogs and short videos of Magpies landing on a balcony to be fed start appearing.
I've notices WalterBlaknWhte has already ventured on here. We can only hope he doesn't post too often.

I reckon it's an interesting point.
If it's a different ball, then it's a different way to kick it, handball, Mark, bounce (umpires seemed to be better at the bounce with the old ball) etc.
Why did it seemingly change?
When?
Any answers appreciated.

I reckon it's an interesting point.
If it's a different ball, then it's a different way to kick it, handball, Mark, bounce (umpires seemed to be better at the bounce with the old ball) etc.
Why did it seemingly change?
When?
Any answers appreciated.
It all changed when sideswipe murdered his baby sitter.....

This thread just seems destined to be derailed and become our new Nathan Freeman thread.
I can sense it.
subiacojim thanks for opening it. It may not stay on topic but it could become legendary.
Don't be surprised if pics of food and dogs and short videos of Magpies landing on a balcony to be fed start appearing.
I've notices WalterBlaknWhte has already ventured on here. We can only hope he doesn't post too often.
Any thread that is "derailed" is by definition one of the better threads infested by leading commentators/ observers/ thought leaders/ smart ars*s/ Frankston ites etc

PS - Purple Fig 💜 reopens this morning ☕

PPS - further derailment.................... punchline at end! :)

Last edited:

Sherrin is a famous Collingwood name, get real!

The more logical response is if we are lagging in quality, to lobby the government to invest in Sherrin to develop the balls and technology here. Why do we always think international is better, why not invest to develop the skills and tech for exporting?!

Sherrin is a famous Collingwood name, get real! The more logical response is if we are lagging in quality, to lobby the government to invest in Sherrin to develop the balls and technology here. Why do we always think international is better, why not invest to develop the skills and tech for exporting?!
Good idea.............but you are asking Australia to think beyond the next election............. this is new territory - best wishes!

Sherrin is a famous Collingwood name, get real!

The more logical response is if we are lagging in quality, to lobby the government to invest in Sherrin to develop the balls and technology here. Why do we always think international is better, why not invest to develop the skills and tech for exporting?!

Why do you think the car industry left?

Making things in a factory is a real weakness for Australia

Why do you think the car industry left?

Making things in a factory is a real weakness for Australia
Exactly! It’s our really poor attitude and lack of confidence in our own ability, as a nation we take the easy option for short term gain.

There is no reason why we couldn’t have a globally competitive auto or manufacturing industry, and one that is not subsidised over the long term.

Recent events have shown that it’s critical to have this capacity in a strategic sense if nothing else!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back