Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

Okie dokie, I'll plead my case as to why I'm a underwhelmed with the logo. Pure nuff melts incoming.

First, lets start with the design​

I get what they were trying to do - replicate the 1933 crest as closely as they can. It makes sense, go back to when the crest was born, that game in 33' against Norf. But it's half arsed big time. Here's why;

• The STKFC font is not replicated at all, it's just copied over from the current crest. Futura (the name of the modern font) wasn't around in 33. That type used in the 33 crest is a pretty one - I would have like to see that replicated in the anniversary logo.
  • That bottom 'tip' of the shield... oh boy that grinds my gears. It needs to be a hard 'point' instead of a soft curve if that makes sense. Just such an amateur feel. I have no other way of describing it.
  • The white, black and then white again border lines. Way to muddle up what should be a simple shield shape. It continues to suffer the same line-weight problem the OG crest (thin black lines) does, just in a different way (thin white, black, white lines instead)
  • Googles "vector laurels", ctrl c, ctrl v - my job is done

You did what to the 'strength through loyalty'?!​

Removing the ribbon at the bottom is a straight up sin. It has accompanied the crest since 33.
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.07.29 pm.png 440px-Mohr_st_kilda_card.jpg
Staying on the jumper in the 40s and 50s.
patrioticcupa-jpg.1514623

cc2bcaf911ad61d9398737103e7798832979ab6b.jpg
3d26886aa07a213b854f019a9e30e7a2.jpg
And accompanying the club through 66 - praise be
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 7.21.38 pm.png

The earliest inclusion of the 'Fortius Que Fidlius' motto was in 66', though that could just be due to printing technologies not allowing for smaller applications.
5d0e6a4911befafe845fb7ac0fcde627732ffb5e.jpg

Overall I think it is pretty lazy. From the looks of it, someone had only the 33 medallion to work with, instead of the multitude of other applications the crest has historically featured on.

I dislike the team immensely (Spurs fan), but Arsenal smashed it out of the park with their anniversary logo a few years back.
arsenal-logo-EE25617680-seeklogo.com.png
Add to the crest - don't remove!

Also in my research I rebutted the 'first known insignia' point for the STKFC gold monogram logo.
We had a pretty unique logo as early as 1912 and it does look pretty badass.
92d378ccfa247a991501dea36104955043927cb5.jpg
be808fc008abceccc307acdc3952274be45e30b3.jpg

I can't deal with myself either sometimes.

Attachments

• PatrioticCupA.jpg
    PatrioticCupA.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 413
How could they possibly drop the Fortius Quo Fidelius?
it’s what’s made the club survive for 150 years.
What has a laurel wreath got to do with anything?

My sister said the same thing. I think that's my major problem with the logo. I kinda love the thicker cross line now that I've gotten over my initial instinct to object against any change.

That'd just be purely for the 150 version you'd think. Surely going forward if the revised logo is kept then the banner will return.

Okie dokie, I'll plead my case as to why I'm a underwhelmed with the logo. Pure nuff melts incoming.

I get what they were trying to do - replicate the 1933 crest as closely as they can. It makes sense, go back to when the crest was born, that game in 33' against Norf. But it's half arsed big time. Here's why;

• The STKFC font is not replicated at all, it's just copied over from the current crest. Futura (the name of the modern font) wasn't around in 33. That type used in the 33 crest is a pretty one - I would have like to see that replicated in the anniversary logo.
  • That bottom 'tip' of the shield... oh boy that grinds my gears. It needs to be a hard 'point' instead of a soft curve if that makes sense. Just such an amateur feel. I have no other way of describing it.
  • The white, black and then white again border lines. Way to muddle up what should be a simple shield shape. It continues to suffer the same line-weight problem the OG crest (thin black lines) does, just in a different way (thin white, black, white lines instead)

Removing the ribbon at the bottom is a straight up sin. It has accompanied the crest since 33.
View attachment 1514645View attachment 1514620

View attachment 1514616
View attachment 1514605
View attachment 1514614

The earliest inclusion of the 'Fortius Que Fidlius' motto was in 66', though that could just be due to printing technologies not allowing for smaller applications.
View attachment 1514624

Overall I think it is pretty lazy. From the looks of it, someone had only the 33 medallion to work with, instead of the multitude of other applications the crest has historically featured on.

I dislike the team immensely (Spurs fan), but Arsenal smashed it out of the park with their anniversary logo a few years back.
View attachment 1514625

Also in my research I rebutted the 'first known insignia' point for the STKFC gold monogram logo.
View attachment 1514635
View attachment 1514634

Couldn’t agree more mate.
Audibly laughed at the laurel when I first saw it.

Yeah, this ain't it!
It's almost like they had a crack at "minimalism" to be trendy but its ehhh.
Would honestly have just kept our classic logo lmao
Just put 150 in the horizontal black strip of the cross Or above the crest or below the ribbon.
Definitely a “try too hard.”

View attachment 1514645View attachment 1514620

View attachment 1514616
View attachment 1514605
View attachment 1514614

View attachment 1514624

View attachment 1514625

View attachment 1514635
View attachment 1514634

Love everything about this post mate, but just one thing missing....

Your anniversary logo please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1515238
Sponsor and league logos ghosted for a one-off. A la Chelsea and other soccer clubs.
Pinstripes get a return too.
Now we are talking!

A little tinkering and hey presto, a classy Logo.
The 1873 should be a permanent part of the crest.
Well done.

Send it to the club.

Based on the membership pack email it looks like we're reverting back to the old logo. A little bit surprised as I thought they'd use the 150 logo as an opportunity for an update. I probably prefer the old logo to the 150 one but I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't addressed some of the stuff talked about in this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back