FTA-TV The Shield

Remove this Banner Ad

Just going to give this one a bump.
Season 7 starts tomorrow night at midnight on 10.
Or, you could just download it, seeing as it's still not even out on DVD here.

For those that actually buy the occasional DVD, who waits for R4 releases? And for those that do, why? I just bought the box set from the US for US$105.

As always with TV shows, it's just a matter of waiting (years sometimes).

The Shield - Sony Announces The Complete Series Collection with New Extras & Collectible 'Book' Packaging

Every episode on 28 DVDs, and a new bonus disc

theshieldcomplete.jpg

For those that actually buy the occasional DVD, who waits for R4 releases? And for those that do, why? I just bought the box set from the US for US$105.
I do, because I usually don't care enough.
I already own seasons 1-6 of the Shield anyway.

Finally got round to watching this now I'm on holidays. Near the end of season 3. Just lost it when they're looking at the Armenian receipts and Ronnie goes 'You don't dryclean Oriental rugs!!!' and the WTF look he gets from the others.

Lem and Dutch are definite favourites. Aceveda would probably have smelly breath (did not see that scene coming)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why didn't he want it in widescreen? it doesn't much matter one way or the other, does it?
He envisioned the show as being filmed documentary style, ie handheld cameras, shaky camerawork, 4:3 picture etc. Network made the decision to show it in widescreen. They film it with 4:3 in mind.

Is The Wire a better cop show like "they" say?

The Wire would have to be pretty special to top The Shield.

Love the Claudette and Dutch characters.
Yeah, it's better.

And I love the Shield

Yeah, it's better.

And I love the Shield

the wire is better

but the shield is alot easier

have the volume on low or have it on in the background of the wire and you will miss complete story lines

the shield was just in your face Vic busting heads all day

"Loved em both"

And done :p

I used to own the first few seasons on dvd, got rid of them almost 2 years ago due to feeling that i did not watch them often enough to warrant keeping them as part of my collection (at the time, i hadn't watched them in a really long time). Compared to other tv show dvds that i watch regularly each year (eg: a long form show like 24, i'll still watch at least 2 times a year........ when i used to watch each season at least 4+ times).

Couldn't resist buying the complete series set for The Shield, i know most seasons are going for $15 or so each (5, 6 & 7 still sell for $30+ at *some* stores).

Watching the show from episode 1 on 7mate made me miss it. Plus i'd rather watch more than 2 episodes per week... so i figured i may as well buy them again.

l love both wire and shield.yes shield was more in your face like smash your b!tch up kinda show.wire was great 2 or 3 story lines meeting up at the end was great writing.shield season with forest was the best, and wire with the school kids is the best season and telly.
Glenn Close was amazing in The Shield.

Wow, just read through some of this thread...

"Best show ever"....??

If you like really bad acting, and plot holes galore, then sure!

It's just an ok cop show. Nothing more.

I've been watching through it for the first time over the past couple of months or so. Up to the final episode of season 6. It has definitely been enjoyable at times (and tedious at times as well) but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again.... there's just not enough to bring you back. (unlike a show such as The Sopranos that is brilliantly acted, wonderfully written, and that you can just keep watching repeatedly for eternity)

Glenn Close was fantastic. It's a shame she only lasted one season. (she probably couldn't handle the bad actors she had to work with) Forest Whitaker was just super-creepy and weird, but fantastic as well.... one of the best "villains" ever. You really despised him by the end. :)

Vic, however, has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen. Love his character though. But man, he puts in some bad acting performances. And Lem was even worse than Vic.

The best thing about The Shield obviously is the underlining story of the Strike Team's shenanigans (Money Train, etc), Aceveda, etc, and also the way the show leaves it up to you to decide what you think of Vic... but those things play almost 2nd-fiddle a lot of the time to these lame "Law & Order" style investigations.... particularly in the earlier seasons. It's like you get 40 minutes of Dutch investigating some rape case with Vic busting heads occasionally (complete with hilariously bad acting) and then it's "oh, here's a quick 5 minute update on the Money Train"... and the episode ends. Meh.

The Shield is really a cross between Law & Order and Oz. It's got the grittiness of Oz, and the lame-cheesy-mainstream-US-television style (and bad acting) of Law & Order.

Those saying it's the best show ever need to get out more. (or stay in more!) It's not a bad show, but you're kidding yourselves (or you're just clueless) if you think it's in the same ball-park as The Sopranos, and I'd even put Oz way ahead of it as well.

Hell, even Boardwalk Empire has given us more quality in one season than The Shield has in the 6 seasons I've seen so far.

But each to their own I suppose. :)

Like I said, I've still enjoyed The Shield, and I'll watch the last season (I've come this far!), but I won't be watching it again when I'm done.

6.5 :cool:'s out of 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back