The Shinteblaster - Roll up, roll up... and get abused.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have some cousins from Norway in town and today I was waiting for them to meet up with my daughter and I in Fed Square so we could show them around town and head up Eureka Tower. Whilst waiting I see a vaguely familiar figure crossing at the lights from Flinders St Station. Almost immediately I see said figure's lips moving but could only make out words here and there.

What a nice day for them TT...

TT explaining that the bloke brandishing the fancy smartphone and asking them for money 3 separate times isn't a regular thing.

TT explaining that the tram not turning up on time then disappearing off the tram tracker monitor aka Bermuda Triangle is an isolated incident.

TT explaining that the bogan fight outside the state library is just a one off
(note: this happened during my own "come see my beautiful city" tour for some OS folk recently)

TT explaining it's local Australia custom to record your own videos at urinals for "security purposes"

What a nice day for them TT...

TT explaining that the bloke brandishing the fancy smartphone and asking them for money 3 separate times isn't a regular thing.

TT explaining that the tram not turning up on time then disappearing off the tram tracker monitor aka Bermuda Triangle is an isolated incident.

TT explaining that the bogan fight outside the state library is just a one off
(note: this happened during my own "come see my beautiful city" tour for some OS folk recently)

TT explaining it's local Australia custom to record your own videos at urinals for "security purposes"

The only issue which stood out like the proverbial were the plethora of homeless people camped along Flinders St and by the Yarra. It was a 37C day and we'd walked past many such "camps" without discussing it until one of the sons said "one thing you don't see in Norway are homeless people, as it's too cold. The government cater for them with that in mind so they're not visible at all." They felt that if you were to find yourself out on the streets then Melbourne was a pretty good place to be so.

They loved their time here before eventually departing back to Bergen this arvo. They also came along to the MVFC v Central Coast Mariners game during the week and got right into it. It made for a pleasant change as usually I'm taking Norwegian cousins to a North game and having to explain the rules all night (although I'm yet to do so and have the cousins anything other than blown away by the physicality and nail biting nature of a North game).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back