Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

I was trying to reconcile elite forward with those goals as well and it took me a while but I think I realise why I thought what he was doing is disappointing and I blame;

A) Freo Coaching
Contrary to what the Freo gameplan of the last 25 years would tell you, a KPF can score goals from ways other than contested marking. They do this through being a smart player with tank and speed to match so they cant get separation. This is greatly helped by having a forwardline that actually works for one another where players make space for eachother to work into AND a midfield that actually tries to hit targets rather than bombing it on their head

B) Tabs
Now, dont get defensive here but Tabs does not have speed and is not that smart a player BUT he is just about the best contested marking KPF in the league. In other words, Tabs is the quint essential Freo forward where he is everything (this year anyway) we expect our KPFs to be because it suits how our gameplan has worked. This is not a slight on Tabs, but how we seem to be conditioned to view our KPFs

Hogan kicks goals in a different way to Tabs when utilised correctly, he even kicks more goals than Tabs, just because he's not a contetsted marking beast (he's no slouch here either, just not Tabs level) doesnt take away from those goals
could also see Hogan’s performance against GWS last year, IIRC he had 20 touches and 3 goals that day, where he either managed to create space for himself in transition, and position himself nicely for marking contests with his 3rd goal also coming up from a simple lead. as a forward if you can do that effectively than you can be a damn good forward without necessarily been a great contested mark
We kicked it high over the head to Pav, we kicked it high over the head to Kersten, we kicked it high to McCarthy, hell, we kicked (and still do) it high to Walters...
it’s going to take years for me to unsee us kicking it high to Ballas as well

I agree, I honestly dont think we win can a flag without Hogan in top form.

Top 4, yes, be the premiers, no.
yeah you’re probably right unless we managed to lure someone like McDonald home quickly. otherwise you’d be hoping 2 of tabs, lobb and fyfe (or maybe cox) have enough left in them to be solid enough and have the likes of Sturt, Henry etc creating a potent forward line around them

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're right its unfair to single out Tabs and its not really what I was trying to do (my post was probably worded badly though), more tongue in cheek that he's so good at what he does that its harder to appreciate what Hogan was doing in that video. Raising the idea of Lobb and Fyfe is also a good point. What I'm poorly trying to say is that we are conditioned as Freo supporters to see "good" KPF goals as those taken from a contested mark, but Hogan's goals are just as "good", just in a different way.
Yep. It shows Hogan is a smart footballer and can get his goals from a variety of methods. This makes him a far more dangerous forward across differing game situations and seasons. Not a one trick pony by any means.

The likelihood of our players winning free kicks inside fifty goes up when they are one on one, their defenders panic - especially when the opposition is trying to cover all of Lobb, Taberner and Hogan.

So I don't care if half the goals kicked are from frees. Scare the defenders into a push in the back, or holding, or chopping the arms, or blocking.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
A goal is a goal is a goal is a goal. Michael Owen scored a huge amount of his career goals for club and country by simply following the team mates strike into the box and cleaning up the deflected shot from the keeper. But if it's easy why don't we all do it? If you're good enough to stand in the goal square, get 5 kicks and kick 5 goals every game, then statistically you're the best forward ever. Hawkins kicked 2 or 3 dribbled soccer goals from 2m out against us and I think I recall Kennedy getting a couple of over the back goals against us too (if not last derby then one of the recent games). Being in the right spot can be luck, but often it's not, it's footy smarts and Hogan has them, plus talent, plus skill.
I think Tabs suffered under Lyon a bit due to being labelled a 'target' so he could bring the ball to ground. The greatest forwards mark the ball, but if they don't, they pounce on the ball and still kick the goal from general play. It seemed that this follow up work was not part of Tabs' instruction. Hogan is as dangerous in the air as he is on the ground and that makes him super valuable. Add in that he can run all day.
Ablett Snr, Modra and a few others could do everything. Take contested marks, marks on the lead, high marks and then also the follow up ground work/opportunists goals. Don't know if Jesse can out muscle a bloke but he's got plenty of other strings to his bow.
Jesse in form and dangerous will make us a very, very tough team to beat. Especially with Tabs, Lobb, Walters and Fyfe on the park at the same time. Leaves Schultz to get a few.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
The fact Jesse gets a lot of goals from free kicks is not because he is getting cheap/easy frees (aside from the 50m penalties he seems to often get from someone running through the protected zone) but by being so good 1v1 leading out of the goal square that defenders panic and grab onto him.
Go back and have a look at the goal from holding the man free vs the Roos, the ball is nowhere near Hogan but he is so scary to the defender that he is all over him holding and scragging that the umps can do nothing but pay the free kick.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
The 20% of game time missing also happens to be the hardest 20% of the game to run.

This has a material impact. Guys like Langdon, Giro, Bewley, Hill etc base their game off being able to sustain the high level running longer than their opponent, as soon as the opponent can't do it they are in space, or impacting that contest, or getting ahead of the ball, or getting back to help defense.

Now we have the hardest part of that running removed from the game and players like Serong, Brayshaw, Frederick are able to keep up with the speed of the game as the fatigue hits.

The AFL has been under pressure to make the games shorter for this reason, it brings down the level you need to reach to not be a total liability to your team, especially in the midfield, at the end of quarters.

It has pushed aside something that very dedicated and hard working footballers could work on to set themselves apart. Now being elite fit won't be enough. You'll also need to be fast.

Langdon, Hill, Giro and Frederick should be fine, Bewley might be in trouble if the game stays with the shorter quarters.
Personally I think that the 20% less game time impact on gut runners is a bit of a myth.

The game in theory should be played at a higher intensity, which causes quicker fatigue. These gut runners should still be able to close out the qtrs.

I think its a poor excuse for having a s**t year.

Personally I think that the 20% less game time impact on gut runners is a bit of a myth.

The game in theory should be played at a higher intensity, which causes quicker fatigue. These gut runners should still be able to close out the qtrs.

I think its a poor excuse for having a sh*t year.
We can't make someone like Barlow run faster for a shorter time, his max speed is the max speed, he can just run all day at that speed.

The hard running is to have the pace and not burn out before the siren, with less time needed less fit guys can match that work level.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
We can't make someone like Barlow run faster for a shorter time, his max speed is the max speed, he can just run all day at that speed.

The hard running is to have the pace and not burn out before the siren, with less time needed less fit guys can match that work level.
Run all day at max speed?

While I get what you're saying, but the less fit guys will still burn out due to a higher intensity. I still think it's a cop out

Run all day at max speed?

While I get what you're saying, but the less fit guys will still burn out due to a higher intensity. I still think it's a cop out
They do burn out, but the point they burn out might be right as the siren goes, where as those guys who could run out the extra 20% could make the most of that previously - can't do it now.

Nobody cares that you can run 9.7s 100m x 100 in a row when it's a one time through race

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
They do burn out, but the point they burn out might be right as the siren goes, where as those guys who could run out the extra 20% could make the most of that previously - can't do it now.

Nobody cares that you can run 9.7s 100m x 100 in a row when it's a one time through race
Its all hypothetical though. Its not like these guys play the entire game anyway.

Was the games really cut by 20%?

Also guys like Hill rarely impacted for us in dying stages of matches. Went missing if anything

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interestingly speaking to a mate who knows Hogan’s manager. Apparently is on a fairly low base wage, preferring to be on a performance based wage for motivation.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Interestingly speaking to a mate who knows Hogan’s manager. Apparently is on a fairly low base wage, preferring to be on a performance based wage for motivation.

WOW !!!

That is quite honourable by the guy.

Longmuir's biggest challenge is to somehow find the magic elixir that makes Hogan elevate his game to the elite level that most people think he is capable of. If he can do that, it will go a long way to turning the Dockers into a Top 4 threat.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Makes sense that he was frustrated not making the team earlier this year then, can't get any performance bonuses if you aren't making the team

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Makes sense that he was frustrated not making the team earlier this year then, can't get any performance bonuses if you aren't making the team
That seems a topsy-turvy take on things if he elected to go for a performance based contract. That indicates that his goal is getting himself playing well rather than chasing bonuses.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
WOW !!!

That is quite honourable by the guy.

Longmuir's biggest challenge is to somehow find the magic elixir that makes Hogan elevate his game to the elite level that most people think he is capable of. If he can do that, it will go a long way to turning the Dockers into a Top 4 threat.
Spot on. Hopefully he can have his first full pre season at freo.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
We need him, he’s staying and needs a big pre season.
Dixon gets delisted. Lobb had a poor year. Who’s next off the rank alongside Tabs? Yeah, no one. Trading Hogan now would hurt the club, the 22 and long term future.

We would be absolutely silly to be trading key position players of any type given the injuries in 2020. Cox is a CHB, been training as one. No point swapping him back to CHF and redo the whole process.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need him, he’s staying and needs a big pre season.
Dixon gets delisted. Lobb had a poor year. Who’s next off the rank alongside Tabs? Yeah, no one. Trading Hogan now would hurt the club, the 22 and long term future.

We would be absolutely silly to be trading key position players of any type given the injuries in 2020. Cox is a CHB, been training as one. No point swapping him back to CHF and redo the whole process.

If somehow Hogan does go. We look into Mihochek who's on peanuts and wants out allegedly.

There was a bulldog poster who said mid year we were talking to Mihocheks management. Me personally..I'd rather keep Hogan.

Back