Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think we need to pigeon hole him as FF or CHF. We now have the list flexibility where hopefully the coaches can implement a structure and the forwards can develop a chemistry where Jesse, Rory and Tabs can be fluid and rotate. They are all tall, mobile, can run all day and take a contested grab. I will say though that he’s had a lot of seasons of 40+ goals playing as a FF, something we’ve sorely missed since Pav.

So what would you say would be the pass mark in goal terms for Hogan and Lobb and Cox/ McCarthy/ Tabs given the abundance of forward options available in 2019?

I don’t think we need to pigeon hole him as FF or CHF. We now have the list flexibility where hopefully the coaches can implement a structure and the forwards can develop a chemistry where Jesse, Rory and Tabs can be fluid and rotate. They are all tall, mobile, can run all day and take a contested grab. I will say though that he’s had a lot of seasons of 40+ goals playing as a FF, something we’ve sorely missed since Pav.

Yeah, something in that. The days where players are locked into a position painted on a chalkboard are long gone. It's about rotating and working a system.

That said, it is about balance and you still have certain pasterns of players on a field - with that, you would see Hogan favouring a more mobile style and Lobb less so, then it comes to whether you play another genuine tall (i.e. Tabbs or Cox) or go for a bit more mobility (McCarthy, assuming his pulled his finger out) or even smaller. On this I suspect (or hope) that RTB goes with Tabs first and sees how it works -suspect we'll be one person too tall/lacking in mobility, but in terms of marking/scoring power, it would be our best bet IMHO.

So what would you say would be the pass mark in goal terms for Hogan and Lobb and Cox/ McCarthy/ Tabs given the abundance of forward options available in 2019?

Given that we have so many forwards, they should all be able to kick 90 goals each with how much presence they have in the forward line, and the gravitational pull they have - so from that, I expect us to kick scores of 230+ on a regular basis

seriously though - i'd be happy for 1.5-2 goals a game each from Hogan/Tabs/Walters, 1 goal a game each from Cox/McCarthy/Lobb and the rest from our midfielders floating through with a 15 goal a game average over the season for next season. I do think that it'll take time for our guys to gel, and it remains to be seen what impact the new rules have when it comes to contests in the forward half, and rebound footy

Even the best ruck/fwd's struggle to get past the 30 goal mark so not expecting Lobb to get anywhere close to the 60 goals he said he was aiming for in the 6PR interview. IF Lobb can get 25-30 goals I'll be very happy. With Hogan I'd be hoping for around the 35-40 goal mark. If Tabs can play FF for a full season I'd be hoping for around the 35 goal mark aswell.

If Walters played full time in the forward line I'd be expecting him to be our highest goal scorer (40+ goals). But I think he'll be playing quite a bit in the midfield.

Even the best ruck/fwd's struggle to get past the 30 goal mark so not expecting Lobb to get anywhere close to the 60 goals he said he was aiming for in the 6PR interview. IF Lobb can get 25-30 goals I'll be very happy. With Hogan I'd be hoping for around the 35-40 goal mark. If Tabs can play FF for a full season I'd be hoping for around the 35 goal mark aswell.

If Walters played full time in the forward line I'd be expecting him to be our highest goal scorer (40+ goals). But I think he'll be playing quite a bit in the midfield.

If Hogan & Walters are both fit for the entire season next year,I'll be disappointed if the two don't deliver us 75+ goals between the two of them.

While Hogan and Lobb are the ideal recruits for our forward line there are still a heap of unknown factors. There is even uncertainty about their specific forward roles, as well as Hogan's fitness/injury.

Bennell and McCarthy should both be part of the new forward line, but quite likely are not.

We don't know if we will play a third tall, but if we do Taberner and Cox are very different from each other.

Walters will be needed midfield.

Colyer is an unknown for us.

Switkowski is unknown.

Matera and Ballantyne unconvincing but likely to both play round 1.

While Hogan and Lobb are the ideal recruits for our forward line there are still a heap of unknown factors. There is even uncertainty about their specific forward roles, as well as Hogan's fitness/injury.

Bennell and McCarthy should both be part of the new forward line, but quite likely are not.

We don't know if we will play a third tall, but if we do Taberner and Cox are very different from each other.

Walters will be needed midfield.

Colyer is an unknown for us.

Switkowski is unknown.

Matera and Ballantyne unconvincing but likely to both play round 1.
I’m sure Colyer will be our first choice crumbing forward. He has pace to burn, is a smart player and knows where the goals are. He’s a confidence player and needs to take a breath to balance before he kicks to avoid turnovers. Let's hope Ross can bring the best out in him. Switkowski should be given the chance to be his backup. I hope Ballas can reproduce his best form but he drives me insane when he can’t keep his feet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure Colyer will be our first choice crumbing forward. He has pace to burn, is a smart player and knows where the goals are. He’s a confidence player and needs to take a breath to balance before he kicks to avoid turnovers. Let's hope Ross can bring the best out in him. Switkowski should be given the chance to be his backup. I hope Ballas can reproduce his best form but he drives me insane when he can’t keep his feet!

Or when we seem to use him as a lead up forward and watch the ball endlessly kicked over his head.

Tabs will cover hogan till he is up and going then he will never be seen again :)
Agree with this wholeheartedly.
Taberner is as vanilla as they come. Sorry, don't like to abuse nice young men but...he's 25 years old, been in the system for years and he drops a helluva lot of marks.
In the greater AFL community he's invisible.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.
Taberner is as vanilla as they come. Sorry, don't like to abuse nice young men but...he's 25 years old, been in the system for years and he drops a helluva lot of marks.
In the greater AFL community he's invisible.
drops marks is such a big copout

Post 2016 Taberner is our best mark bar maybe Fyfey

drops marks is such a big copout

Post 2016 Taberner is our best mark bar maybe Fyfey
Besf mark bar Fyfe post 2016 Freo, not saying:much. What else does he do? Any Brownlow votes?

I say he's vanilla personified. Very few in ES would have even heard of him.

Good depth maybe, but happy to be proved wrong.

Tabs goes ok considering the shabolic nature of our midfield and fwdline over the last few seasons. He’s no star but it surprises me that people don’t think he’s AFL quality yet. Imagine him in a Rich/Haw/WC type of team that moves the ball fluidly and creates space for the fwds to operate freely in, I reckon he’d crush it

The issue is that all he can do is mark and kick a decent goal. We now have options that can do those things but are more agile/better rucks/better field kicks/better decision makers

I think Hogan is CHF, Tabs is FF, Lobb is the third tall who relief rucks. Taberner stays deepest always, he is quite quick off the mark.

Agree - I used to believe that Tabs' roaming ability meant he was ideally suited to CHF. But I've now decided that he simply can't play intuitively enough to take quick options in that link man role. Better he plays in a role where he automatically kicks for goal if he marks.

Agree - I used to believe that Tabs' roaming ability meant he was ideally suited to CHF. But I've now decided that he simply can't play intuitively enough to take quick options in that link man role. Better he plays in a role where he automatically kicks for goal if he marks.
Id say hes best suited to primarily playing deep, but on the odd occasion using his run and roaming ability to get up on the wings and leave space out the back for others to push back into. Similar to a kennedy type, primarily plays deep, but does push up leaving space behind him.

I think Hogan is CHF, Tabs is FF, Lobb is the third tall who relief rucks. Taberner stays deepest always, he is quite quick off the mark.
Please Tabs is rubbish inside 50. Even McCarthy fat and depressed marks the ball inside 50 more often than Tabs. He is good at pushing up the ground using his big tank and good one one contested marking ability, and then he does nothing with it as he has close to zero vision and his field kicking is ordinary. Cox at FF or a 2 tall forward line for me (if Fatty is counted as a medium) and Tabs to LRO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back