Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

Please Tabs is rubbish inside 50. Even McCarthy fat and depressed marks the ball inside 50 more often than Tabs. He is good at pushing up the ground using his big tank and good one one contested marking ability, and then he does nothing with it as he has close to zero vision and his field kicking is ordinary. Cox at FF or a 2 tall forward line for me (if Fatty is counted as a medium) and Tabs to LRO.

did Silent Alarm hack your account?

Unfortunately Tabs was a stop gap during the tough times. Hes gonna struggle to make this team. He better hope McCarthy still hates footy next season and Cox stays fat, because a Tabs doing everything right is barely better than either.
Yeah sounds good.... but fake news.

Tabs is ahead of McCarthy in basically all stats, even-steven in goals. This is with Tabs also having to try and be a ruck/fwd and considering that his game against Bulldogs was over after 10mins.

Vs Cox again most stats are in Tabs' favour. But I'd wouldn't be upset if we prioritised Cox over Tabs. (Hogan -CHF, Cox - FF, Lobb - Ruck/Fwd)

Listening to the club talk about Tabs last year and how they thought he had come along. I don't think they agree with your analysis.

McCarthy needs to spend half a season at Peel.

upload_2018-11-9_18-50-56.png

upload_2018-11-9_18-53-17.png

Tabs is ahead of McCarthy in basically all stats, even-steven in goals. This is with Tabs also having to try and be a ruck/fwd and considering that his game against Bulldogs was over after 10mins.

Vs Cox again most stats are in Tabs' favour. But I'd wouldn't be upset if we prioritised Cox over Tabs. (Hogan -CHF, Cox - FF, Lobb - Ruck/Fwd)

Listening to the club talk about Tabs last year and how they thought he had come along. I don't think they agree with your analysis.

View attachment 582982

View attachment 582984
Hows that 4.6 turnovers.....look at the relevant stats. I said he is very good at marking and kicking goals but terrible up the ground when he has to link up

Hows that 4.6 turnovers.....look at the relevant stats. I said he is very good at marking and kicking goals but terrible up the ground when he has to link up
Yeah, I've said before I don't think he is suited up the ground. He should be the last link in the chain. Mark and kick goals... or at the very least half the contest and bring the ball to ground.

Yeah, I've said before I don't think he is suited up the ground. He should be the last link in the chain. Mark and kick goals... or at the very least half the contest and bring the ball to ground.
Fair enough....ok i was probably being a bit dramatic about never seeing him again he will likely play deep forward at times next year but i think in our best team he will be squeezed out. Lobb can always rotate with Sandi/Darcy in the FF position

View attachment 582982

View attachment 582984
Sweet but dont you feel like weve seen all we are going to see out of Tabs? Come on man, look inside your self this is it for Tabs, plus hes proving to be a bit injury prone now. He has had some great games for sure but I still believe in McCarthy for some reason. Hes one Walters off season away from a 40-50 goal season imo. This is probably his last go at it though without improvement.

Sweet but dont you feel like weve seen all we are going to see out of Tabs? Come on man, look inside your self this is it for Tabs, plus hes proving to be a bit injury prone now. He has had some great games for sure but I still believe in McCarthy for some reason. Hes one Walters off season away from a 40-50 goal season imo. This is probably his last go at it though without improvement.

Just because Mcarthy has more potential doesn't mean he deserves to be in the side with that merit alone. Tabs clearly deserves to be infront of him at this time.

View attachment 582982

View attachment 582984

interesting, If anything i would’ve said those stats support what he’s saying ie Tabs has only marginally better stats than either even with Cox being young and McCarthy being out of form. Both had more score board impact.

Regardless, Tabs will get games through having better form and/or injury issues. It’s great to have some competition for spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, fair enough on Tabs. I'm just big on the idea of 2 KPF's and 1 Ruck/Fwd.

Hogan and Lobb obviously take two of those spots... Tabs I still think is the best of the rest in regards to the FF position. Would be happy for Cox to get that spot though if they want to push his development.

I'm well off McCarthy at the moment, completely lost faith in him so I just don't see him anyway near our B22. Hopefully he kills the preseason and proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah, fsir enough on Tabs. I'm just big on the idea of 2 KPF's and 1 Ruck/Fwd.

Hogan and Lobb obviously take two of those spots... Tabs I still think is the best of the rest in regards to the FF position. Would be happy for Cox to get that spot though if they want to push his development.

I'm well of McCarthy at the moment, completely lost faith in him so I just don't see him anyway near our B22. Hopefully he kills the preseason and proves me wrong.
If he had any intention of proving the doubters wrong, he'd have started training already.

If he had any intention of proving the doubters wrong, he'd have started training already.

Check post #1 on the 2019 Preseason thread.

The thing about Taberner is that he has improved every single year he’s been on the list.

Edit: and I’ve just reread the post and realised you’re talking about McCarthy. Hopefully he comes back in good nick.

Our three best forward options from last season (Cox/McCarthy/Taberner) are now fighting it out for the third tall spot. And Dixon is going into his second year. Pretty damn exciting whichever way we go.

Tabs will struggle. Happy to give him a year to improve again. But if he doesnt he needs to move on. Happy to eat my tinfoil straw hat if he kicks ass.

If Dixon turns out to be a gun, I wonder if we’ll be able to keep him.
He showed some amazing signs against Claremont late in the season.
Could Hogan turn into a swing man to allow the red headed Tasmanian space in a tall forward line?

The way I view it there is 3 tall spots up for grabs. Centre half forward, 2nd ruck and full forward. The first two are no brainers really - Hogan and Lobb. When considering who is left to fill the last spot I boil it down to Taberner vs Cox with McCarthy having proved unsuitable for this role. I look at the strengths of the players and I see it this way: Cox will be better around the ground and Taberner the better forward. Given most people agree with that assessment and that we are talking about our full forward here, it should be a no brainer too. Taberner every day of the week :thumbsu:

Where are we getting this idea that Taberner is a better forward than Cox? Taberner averages 1.1 goals a game at his very best so far and he is already 25. Cox averaged 1.1 goals a game in his second season. We aren't going to be challenging next year anyway so we can afford to have Cox learning at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back