Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

How does he get along with the other players?

I always see the players around Freo at cafes, bars, beach etc but Hogan never seems to be around.

Maybe the players are sick of his sh*t?
I remember someone from Melbourne saying that he was never that close with the playing group there either. Not out of rubbing people the wrong way, more of just a "never talking to anyone".

Gary and Tim are not primary sources team. Basically its the BigFooty rumours board but they get paid.
Gary Lyon hey? Like he and Hogan have no baggage.
Sometimes where there's smoke there is no fire, there's just a couple of coneheads on the radio having a toke and a laugh.
And the pile on with Hogan, now his simultaneously a wild party type and a weird psycho loner. Honestly.
Gary just put up the Tigers rumour, the Hogan getting shoved was Edmund + others.

I tend not to believe the Tigers just because of salary. For them to take him we'd have to pay a fair bit you'd think. We might do that if they gave us better draft compensation.

I can understand that. I get along with people, but prefer not to be around them. Don’t know how to have positive platonic friendships. Then when the sass hit, all hell breaks loose and I get myself into all sorts of trouble. Then the regret of those decisions forces me to close off to those around me more.
Getting better, slowly, but it’s a hard road. The wheel turns, grinds you into the mud some days, lifts you up on others, and you tend to try and protect other people from your chaos

At least by paying some of his contract it would mean we would get a stronger draft hand.
I’d be willing to do this for the Stronger draft hand. Problem is Richmond have no decent picks - their first round pick will be around pick 25 on draft night.

Reports we re keen to pay some of his contract to facilitate a trade? Please don’t be true. Clubs would jump at that ASAP.
Hopefully just rumours at this stage. A laughing stock move that would be though

I’d be willing to do this for the Stronger draft hand. Problem is Richmond have no decent picks - their first round pick will be around pick 25 on draft night.

Yes agreed, but maybe with futures worked in etc. I'd be interested in their future first. It may get us out of the supposed rumored cap debacle for 2021, whilst also giving us a bit of currency to trade in 2021. E.G Two first rounders (one would be around the 18 and the other would probably be around the 7 -12 range) for a ready to plug and play option in 2022.

I don’t get why so much hate towards the Football Club.

What’s wrong with wanting a great culture, this is Cleary what bell and co are trying to build. I myself personally back them, why not set a standard to try get us out first premiership? Because we have previously turned a blind eye to these sort of problems and look what we have to show for it.

This is no doubt in my opinion what the club is trying to build, you only have to look at who we have shipped off this off season to see why those players with a lot of talent are gone.

Don’t blame the club, blame a soon to be 26 year old man who has taken the Fremantle Football club for a ride the last two seasons. It’s a brutal business and sure I would love an under dog story where Jesse turns it around, I just can’t see it I know for a fact that Jesse is a heavy smoker, not just a weekend smoker and whilst that’s not a crime I think it shows where he is at with his professionalism.
Because they made a 2001 level blunder in getting him here then shipping him out for peanuts 2 years later.

I'm waiting to see something credible. The related article in The West is by "staff writers"... nobody willing to put their name to it is a pretty clear indication it is purely speculation at this point.

Go or stay I really don't care tbh. If Freo are willing to let him go/push him out then clearly there is far more to the story than what is in the media. If he stays then it will become clear the stories in the media have been either exaggerated BS or complete fabrications.

Go, we move on. Back in our drafting that's been great in recent years. We either play who we draft alongside Tabs and Lobb from Rd 1, shift one of our KPDs forward (eg Cox) or play smaller and faster (still having Fyfe/Mundy as tallish options to rotate through).

Stay, I'd comfortably bet his on field performance being vastly improved and he'd know it was last chance saloon off the field. He'd have one more year to prove himself.

The situation sucks but I've stopped being too emotionally attached to it. In an ideal world Hogan becomes the centrepiece of a new functional forward line but if the club is suffering massive cultural issues (impacting the other 40 odd listed players) whilst chasing that dream then you just make the tough choice and move forward.

Jesse Hogan being traded out would want to be for a player to dilute the value of the trade, for the sake of the footy department.

Let's say Hogan ends up at Richmond in a swap where Freo pay some cash and Shai Bolton plays in our midfield in 2021.

Much harder to put a value on that compared to trading a player we paid pick #6 and #23 for into a pick that we exchanged him for this season. Unless it's another top five pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports we re keen to pay some of his contract to facilitate a trade? Please don’t be true. Clubs would jump at that ASAP.
Hopefully just rumours at this stage. A laughing stock move that would be though

It won’t be a laughing stock move mate - the guy will be out of the league within 2 years.

It’s cutting your losses and making the best of the situation. I’d back your club in on this one - similar to Melbourne when they got rid of him, he looks great on paper and in principal but there is something under the bonnet that just isn’t going to work I think.

In Bell I trust
I have an open mind on Bell, but not really seeing much of a rational case for complete trust. If we were to take a devil's advocate case of events under Bell's watch:
At the centre of poaching Hogan (just 2 years ago).
Opted for Hogan over top picks in a highly talent-rich draft.
S&C team decided to take a non-conservative approach to Hogan's foot injury. Hogan didn't see out the season before another foot injury.
Should Hogan go, highly likely to be a buy-high/sell-low deal (and there's even been talk of Freo covering a percentage of his salary).

I personally thing with the rise of Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra I see alot less risk of letting Hogan go. Fyfe can be our match winning forward. Look at Dusty and Richmond. I also think Cox will be hard to handle with his new found confidence. If it's for the club culture benefit, cut our losses now. Don't let him walk away for nothing in 12 months.

Last edited:
I personally thing with the rise of Brayshaw, Serong and Verra I see alot less risk of letting Hogan go. Fyfe can be our match winning forward. Look at Dusty and Richmond. I also think Cox will be hard to handle with his new found confidence. If it's for the club culture benefit, cut our losses now. Don't let him walk away for nothing in 12 months.
Love to think Fyfe could be a dominant force forward, but there's very little evidence in outcomes that support this.

I personally thing with the rise of Brayshaw, Serong and Verra I see alot less risk of letting Hogan go. Fyfe can be our match winning forward. Look at Dusty and Richmond. I also think Cox will be hard to handle with his new found confidence. If it's for the club culture benefit, cut our losses now. Don't let him walk away for nothing in 12 months.
Fyfe should have been our premiership winning mid-forward but we remember those set shots on goal :/

I personally thing with the rise of Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra I see a lot less risk of letting Hogan go. Fyfe can be our match winning forward. Look at Dusty and Richmond. I also think Cox will be hard to handle with his new found confidence. If it's for the club culture benefit, cut our losses now. Don't let him walk away for nothing in 12 months.
The key to getting better is improving your list in areas of need, if we lose Hogan then either Cox or Pearce (if available) and if Hamling plays in defense have to move forward or else we need to to get another KPF besides Lobb and Tabs, we cant just put Fyfe up there and expect to improve our scoring that much.

Good post. Pretty much my thoughts. As Piggy Smalls said above, I’ll back the club whatever they decide as they are the only ones with all the facts here.
If there’s up to 6 clubs interested, then that’s good. We might get something worthwhile back for him.
backing the club that has delivered zip since it began?
I love Freo, but I feel this is a one sided relationship.
Plenty of other star players at other clubs have has issues off the field, but have been kept & allowed to prosper.
Hogan is THE natural leader of the tall forwards & a bona fide superstar when on song.
If we trade him for peanuts, this will bite us on the bum big time!
Minimum trade I would accept is 2 first rounders.
Nobody will pay that, but that is even better, & we keep him.

backing the club that has delivered zip since it began?
I love Freo, but I feel this is a one sided relationship.
Plenty of other star players at other clubs have has issues off the field, but have been kept & allowed to prosper.
Hogan is THE natural leader of the tall forwards & a bona fide superstar when on song.
If we trade him for peanuts, this will bite us on the bum big time!
Minimum trade I would accept is 2 first rounders.
Nobody will pay that, but that is even better, & we keep him.
There is a limit though. Not every troubled potential star goes on to make it. I'd even wager that the likelihood is well below 50%. Some blokes just aren't cut out for it for whatever reason.

If it makes you feel any better. Richmond paid a first rounder for Yarran in 2015 who never played a game for them and was delisted a year later. Everybody knows the rest.

I really want a player in return for this move. But hearing the media collectively drive his price down on behalf of the club who hasn't said a word yet is kind of annoying and making this look unlikely.

I really want a player in return for this move. But hearing the media collectively drive his price down on behalf of the club who hasn't said a word yet is kind of annoying and making this look unlikely.
To be fair, it could be his manager or another team trying to force a move. Our actual position could be less desperate than its being made out.

The parts I believe are

1) We have issues with Jesse
2) At least 1 of Jesse and Freo are happy to explore a move to another club

The severity of 1 and the prospect of 2 being really strong from our side I would need to see more evidence of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back