Welcome The Shrine that is Jesse Hulk Hogan (Continued from Melbourne)

Tulip

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham
Hogan won’t average two a game next year.

We could’ve had Lockett, Buddy and Pavlich down there last year and wouldn’t have kicked a winning score due to the way the ball was coming in. The ball also bounced out from our forward line to our defence quite easily - at times it seemed the back six were the only ones doing defensive acts. Until our midfield and small forwards are as good as Melbourne’s I doubt Hogan does what he did at Melbourne tbh.

That said I’m very happy to have him here because I’m reasonably confident we develop a decent midfield and find a couple of small forwards before his prime has passed. He’s a vital cog in what we’re building but he’s no saviour. No single player is - if you want proof Carlton won two games with Patrick Cripps playing for them.
Hogan kicked two a game in 2015 and 16 in two reasonably poor sides. He's definitely capable this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Freo, swan districts
Hogan won’t average two a game next year.

We could’ve had Lockett, Buddy and Pavlich down there last year and wouldn’t have kicked a winning score due to the way the ball was coming in. The ball also bounced out from our forward line to our defence quite easily - at times it seemed the back six were the only ones doing defensive acts. Until our midfield and small forwards are as good as Melbourne’s I doubt Hogan does what he did at Melbourne tbh.

That said I’m very happy to have him here because I’m reasonably confident we develop a decent midfield and find a couple of small forwards before his prime has passed. He’s a vital cog in what we’re building but he’s no saviour. No single player is - if you want proof Carlton won two games with Patrick Cripps playing for them.
Maybe having 2 forwards that can read the play and take a mark will help even if the ball is coming in a bit poorly? You've had forwards recently that need precise delivery but i can guarantee you that other more successful clubs (ladder wise) just have players that can deal better with shit delivery - unexpected/crap delivery affects both forward and back - backs don't just think "this kick is going to go astray" and off they go - it;s about reading the play and Hogan and Lobb are pretty good at that.

Last edited:

Docker82

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe having 2 forwards that can read the play and take a mark will help even if the ball is coming in a bit poorly? You've had forwards recently that need precise delivery but i can guarantee you that other more successful clubs (ladder wise) just have players that can deal better with shit delivery - unexpected/crap delivery affects both forward and back - backs don't just think "this kick is going to go astray" and off they go - it;s about reading the play and Hogan and Lobb are pretty good at that.
Hopefully. I actually really rate Hogan and think he’ll be great for us once we sort out the delivery to him and the other forwards. I don’t particularly rate Lobb though. For our forward line to work it’ll need Lobb, McCarthy, Ballantyne, Colyer and whoever else happens to be in our forward line to be far more dangerous than they were last year, otherwise opposition clubs will place two men on Hogan and our players will bomb it to Hogan like they did to McCarthy, Cox, Taberner etc.

M_rash

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hopefully. I actually really rate Hogan and think he’ll be great for us once we sort out the delivery to him and the other forwards. I don’t particularly rate Lobb though. For our forward line to work it’ll need Lobb, McCarthy, Ballantyne, Colyer and whoever else happens to be in our forward line to be far more dangerous than they were last year, otherwise opposition clubs will place two men on Hogan and our players will bomb it to Hogan like they did to McCarthy, Cox, Taberner etc.
Don’t forgot they have changed the interpretation of the “hands in the back” rule. Watch the debacle it’ll cause over the first few rounds before they over correct it.

The cynic in me thinks the new rule will favour the forwards, and punish the defenders. Like, the exact same action will result in a different outcome depending on whether you’re the forward with your hands on the defenders back, just holding your ground (strength). Or if you’re the evil defender, restricting scoring and ruining AFL TV figures by unfairly pushing the forward in the back, especially if a second defender comes across to mark the ball.

freo84

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t forgot they have changed the interpretation of the “hands in the back” rule. Watch the debacle it’ll cause over the first few rounds before they over correct it.

The cynic in me thinks the new rule will favour the forwards, and punish the defenders. Like, the exact same action will result in a different outcome depending on whether you’re the forward with your hands on the defenders back, just holding your ground (strength). Or if you’re the evil defender, restricting scoring and ruining AFL TV figures by unfairly pushing the forward in the back, especially if a second defender comes across to mark the ball.
Hands in the back rule never applied to Freo players anyway. I'm still dirty when Dangerfield pushed two of our defenders in the back and gathered the ball to kick a goal. Then about a minute later he does the exact same thing.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's more likely that they will try to pass it to Hogan on the lead or bomb it long to lobb with two men hanging off him.

Van_Dyke

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, Glory, Warriors, NOLA,
Hands in the back rule never applied to Freo players anyway. I'm still dirty when Dangerfield pushed two of our defenders in the back and gathered the ball to kick a goal. Then about a minute later he does the exact same thing.
Rules don’t apply the same to Dangefield as others, such as when the ball went out, didn’t get called and he scored a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superkoops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rules don’t apply the same to Dangefield as others, such as when the ball went out, didn’t get called and he scored a goal.
Funny you say that. Catch the Golden State Vs Rockets game on Friday - Kevin Durant clearly out of bounds (his entire body out of court) when he knocked the ball back in for a Steph Curry basket. Different rules for certain players indeed.

basashi

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I hope I am wrong but I am guessing he will struggle a bit throughout 2019 with his foot. We might just have to go into the GF without him.

Last edited:

go_the_dockers

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I hope I am wrong but I am guessing he will struggle a bit throughout 2019 with his foot. We might just have to go into the GF without him.
I am thinking it will be the other way, he will only be fit for last few games of the year, and will play brilliant through out the finals.

Superkoops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Something seriously wrong with you guys
Sorry - but that picture of Hogan is just quite odd.

Anyway on a serious note he is recovering steadily but will likely see a delayed start to 2019. Hopefully ready a month (or slightly earlier) into the season. This will open up opportunities for Cox, Tabs and Dardy to work in with Lobb. Should get a feel after about 4 games for who has the runs on the board to stay when Hogan is good to go. Might mean a move to defence for Cox or alternatively if there are injuries in the backline give Kersten a crack.

We have some depth to allow him some time to get his foot fully rehabilitated. Griffin Logue to work himself into the backline mix as well.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Can't see it myself. He's pictured this morning barely running, so his fitness is going to be shizen.

Top Bottom