Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why you would weaken your forward key position depth, especially since it was such a strength for WC, and will be again
In 2019.
Sure May is a good lock down defender, but when I look at the Dees and your contested style, lack of pace, intercept half backs, Freo
supporters have seen it all before.
Sure May can limit the damage, but weight of inside 50's will always prevail.
I'm pretty sure we have done our homework on Hogan, risk assessment, and it's why he was a bargain buy, I didn't see Hawks supporters
complaining about Buddy's flags, and to be honest I thought Hogan could do the same at Melbourne.
It’s a bit of a pointless argument about us trading out hogan. Put aside any injury and off field behaviour rumours. Sure we could have kept him but he’d approached us about a move home. He was going to go next year it would seem. Yes we got unders but turning pick 6 into May and KK was a decent return. Sparrow looks promising but draft picks can be a raffle. May is a need for us and no one expects him to turn into McGovern. But he brings speed and skill to the back line and can play on key forwards.
IMO if hogan was willing to stay long term at Melbourne he’d be still on our list.

Dee's just remind me of our 2012-2015 style and we had one of the best defensive structures in place yet still didn't get the chocolates.
Same with Sydney, all the clubs associated with Paul Roos, WC follow the Hawks game, uncontested and rebound, zones just get carved
up.
Roos made improving our defence a big focus. But in no way are we playing similar to Freo and Swans teams of earlier in the decade. We’re extremely attacking.

Last edited:
Food made improving our defence a big focus. But in no way are we playing similar to Freo and Swans teams of earlier in the decade. We’re extremely attacking.
2013 Freo had the the third highest percentage, and the best defensive numbers against. But with an ageing Pav, lack of quality tall forwards
we lacked firepower, and our ganeplan was brutal on the opposition and ourselves. Our window was short after making a GF.
Sydney at least won a GF in 2012, but losing another 2 doesn't bode well and will be interesting to see if Horse, Lyon can reinvent themselves
Especially after the 2012 loss the Hawks became a juggernaut, and even losing Buddy, didn't slow their attacking class.

I honestly Melbourne may have made a big mistake here. May is no Hogan in ability. Neither is McDonald or Weideman. Lever is and is back next season, whilst Frost and Oscar McDonald are decent. I’d rather the jet key forward than the above average key defender and scraps.

I honestly hope I’m wrong as I can’t see Freo making finals next year and Melbourne are in the next bunch of teams I’d like to see win the flag. I mean stuff seeing the Eagles or a big Vic side win it again.

We went fine without him, i can tell you now that no one at the club is thinking "oh s**t we are ****ed for 2019 we have no hogan".

They just traded Hogan to Freo for a bag of chips and they are fine with it

The only reason Tom MacDonald kicked more goals than Hogan was due to Jesse’s injury.

I doubt any club losing their most potent scoring weapon would see this as a positive no matter how they try to spin it.

They will be a less potent team without him, and if MacDonald or Melksham are injured at any point, their attacking game style will be under extreme pressure.

Almost every non-Freo supporter would but I do agree May is overrated.
Funnily enough I think Pearce would cause a bit of debate across the comp. Pearce was raved about early this season, is tall, talented and athletic and gets a fair bit of credit for it.
Funnily enough, Hamling would probnably be disregarded pretty quickly but I'd probably take him over both of them (based on shown talent not potential).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went fine without him, i can tell you now that no one at the club is thinking "oh s**t we are ****** for 2019 we have no hogan".

Yea I’m sure the club thinks they are alright without him. You’re in premiership contention - only a shite club would trade him if they thought it’d weaken them next year.

Just my opinion that Hogan is more likely to win a premiership for Melbourne than May and two players who may not be best 22 next season. In my opinion Melbourne should be aiming for the flag next year (and probably a few years after) - I just hope that they don’t look back at the end of next year and think they needed another gun key forward to support McDonald. Weideman has played maybe 10 good games at best (probably closer to 5) so it’s a big risk.

The only reason Tom MacDonald kicked more goals than Hogan was due to Jesse’s injury.

I doubt any club losing their most potent scoring weapon would see this as a positive no matter how they try to spin it.

They will be a less potent team without him, and if MacDonald or Melksham are injured at any point, their attacking game style will be under extreme pressure.
You do realise Tmac averaged more goals per game than Hogan right?

You do realise Tmac averaged more goals per game than Hogan right?
So between them they kicked 100 goals, in 20 games each, how do you think the Eagles would go without JK, Darling?
I would rather your team win a premiership than another go back to back, but history has shown Freo supporters that you need more
forwards not less.
It's the reason why our list has a variety of scoring players, depth in key positions we haven't seen before, and why Lynch was a significant
signing for Richmond.

So between them they kicked 100 goals, in 20 games each, how do you think the Eagles would go without JK, Darling?
I would rather your team win a premiership than another go back to back, but history has shown Freo supporters that you need more
forwards not less.
It's the reason why our list has a variety of scoring players, depth in key positions we haven't seen before, and why Lynch was a significant
signing for Richmond.
I’m not arguing that hogan wouldn’t make us more potent up forward. Just pointing out Tmac averaged more goals so Hogan getting injured wasn’t the reason Tmac kicked more.
Melbourne actually have quiet a few goal kicking options. We had 5 players kick over 20 goals this year. I’m not confident Weideman can kick as many as hogan would have but he’s showing promise to develop into a very good key forward. 35-40 goals not out of reach.

Saying Melbourne would have more chance of winning a flag with Jesse and no May is like saying we have more chance without Jesse and with Neale. We gave up an elite player as they did in a position we think we can reasonably replace to fix up an area we were lacking elite talent. Both teams will be better for the trade.

I heard he had a mushroom omelette for breakfast and rode a scooter through the lobby of the hotel with a gasper hanging out the side of his mouth :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back