Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL
I would prefer us to get 1.
enhanced-12101-1427418289-3.jpg

They can win a nice soft draw one next year.
Then we can win a hard fought out campaign the year after.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
In an ideal world, trading is about balancing your list, and it looks to me like both clubs had an opportunity to do that during the trade period. Both clubs have improved their lists and their best 22. Both clubs probably got paid a little "under" what their trade bait went for, yet both clubs came out the other side better than they went in.

I am optimistic about Hogan, but also nervous. I don't like his history regarding off-field stuff, and would prefer someone more in the Pav blueprint. And I don't like his foot injury. It leaves a question mark over what he may produce for us. But is he worth the risk; hell yeah. Easily.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Their stats were eerily similar - although of course TMac is now in his prime whereas Hulk is 2 to 3 years away from his.
Stats are extremely similar. I’ve not been debating Tmac is better than Hogan. I’d probably back in Tmac to kick more goals next year but if Hogan stays fit and is played permanently closer to goal he could be a 80 goal a year player.

Last edited:

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Stats are extremely similar. I’ve not been debating Tmac is better than Hogan. I’d probably backntmac to kick more goals next year but if Hogan stays fit and is played permanently closer to goal he could be a 80 goal a year player.

In our dreams!

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan won’t average two a game next year.

We could’ve had Lockett, Buddy and Pavlich down there last year and wouldn’t have kicked a winning score due to the way the ball was coming in. The ball also bounced out from our forward line to our defence quite easily - at times it seemed the back six were the only ones doing defensive acts. Until our midfield and small forwards are as good as Melbourne’s I doubt Hogan does what he did at Melbourne tbh.

That said I’m very happy to have him here because I’m reasonably confident we develop a decent midfield and find a couple of small forwards before his prime has passed. He’s a vital cog in what we’re building but he’s no saviour. No single player is - if you want proof Carlton won two games with Patrick Cripps playing for them.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

We could’ve had Lockett, Buddy and Pavlich down there last year and wouldn’t have kicked a winning score due to the way the ball was coming in. The ball also bounced out from our forward line to our defence quite easily - at times it seemed the back six were the only ones doing defensive acts. Until our midfield and small forwards are as good as Melbourne’s I doubt Hogan does what he did at Melbourne tbh.

That said I’m very happy to have him here because I’m reasonably confident we develop a decent midfield and find a couple of small forwards before his prime has passed. He’s a vital cog in what we’re building but he’s no saviour. No single player is - if you want proof Carlton won two games with Patrick Cripps playing for them.
For comparison, Melbourne averaged about 60 i50 (#1 in league), and 15 goals (60*0.5*0.5). Freo averaged 48 (3rd worst in league) i50 but only 10 goals.

I think with Hogan and Lobb and maybe a small forward or two, we could bump our average goals up to 12 (48*0.5*0.5) goals, without necessarily improving our i50 count. Our midfield will need to be injury free next year for us to replace Neale AND improve i50. Its a work in progress so I’m not expecting miracles next year, but it could happen if Fyfe, Hills, Walters and Blakely all play 20+ games each.

As for Melbourne, if they keep getting 60 i50, they’ll easily score 14-15 goals per game, regardless of personelle. It’s a whole team approach (mostly midfield though).

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Jesse has averaged 2 goals a game plus his entire career, including 2.2 in 2015 when Melbourne had just 44 i50s per game. Not saying he will for us straight away but they were worse than we have been and he still managed to.

Quality i50 entries is just as much about half forwards as it is about midfield. And if you mark the ball i50 then it won't rebound out. Jesse and Rory should help with that.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be surprised if Hogan kicks more than 40 goal to be honest. However I still think our forward line is going to be much better this year. I'm hoping for a decent amount of players to kick around the 30 goal mark.

Hogan - 35-40 goals
Tabs - 30-35 goals
Lobb - 25-30 goals
Walters - 25-30 goals (If he played as a fulltime small forward I'd have him around the 40-50 goal mark)

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be surprised if Hogan kicks more than 40 goal to be honest. However I still think our forward line is going to be much better this year. I'm hoping for a decent amount of players to kick around the 30 goal mark.

Hogan - 35-40 goals
Tabs - 30-35 goals
Lobb - 25-30 goals
Walters - 25-30 goals (If he played as a fulltime small forward I'd have him around the 40-50 goal mark)
It's the spread of goalkickers that interests me, add Lobb, Cox, McCarthy, then the small to mediums and all of a sudden multiple plays
open up.
If they all work for each other rather than competing for the same ball, we can finally put teams to bed.
Don't think Hogan will play till the 4th round so it will give others a chance and hopefully Dixon gets a debut.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
People posting a spread of goalkickers & predicted tallies are for the most part ignoring Fyfe & Mundy.
Fyfe at the very least as a full time mid can be expected to get at least a goal s game, & this is without him playing as a forward

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
People posting a spread of goalkickers & predicted tallies are for the most part ignoring Fyfe & Mundy.
Fyfe at the very least as a full time mid can be expected to get at least a goal s game, & this is without him playing as a forward
We do need our midfield to kick goals. It is critical, and I think we have some players who can do that. I'm not really wanting Fyfe to spend too much time as a forward per se, especially due to the loss of Neale. I am hoping we see more of the pure midfielder in Fyfe in 2019 controlling and dominating the game. We have enough diversity in our forward line that if we are smart with our strategies we can create mismatches and opportunities without him.

Hogan kicked two a game in 2015 and 16 in two reasonably poor sides. He's definitely capable this year.

PorcelainBus

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Freo, swan districts

Maybe having 2 forwards that can read the play and take a mark will help even if the ball is coming in a bit poorly? You've had forwards recently that need precise delivery but i can guarantee you that other more successful clubs (ladder wise) just have players that can deal better with s**t delivery - unexpected/crap delivery affects both forward and back - backs don't just think "this kick is going to go astray" and off they go - it;s about reading the play and Hogan and Lobb are pretty good at that.

Last edited:

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe having 2 forwards that can read the play and take a mark will help even if the ball is coming in a bit poorly? You've had forwards recently that need precise delivery but i can guarantee you that other more successful clubs (ladder wise) just have players that can deal better with s**t delivery - unexpected/crap delivery affects both forward and back - backs don't just think "this kick is going to go astray" and off they go - it;s about reading the play and Hogan and Lobb are pretty good at that.

Hopefully. I actually really rate Hogan and think he’ll be great for us once we sort out the delivery to him and the other forwards. I don’t particularly rate Lobb though. For our forward line to work it’ll need Lobb, McCarthy, Ballantyne, Colyer and whoever else happens to be in our forward line to be far more dangerous than they were last year, otherwise opposition clubs will place two men on Hogan and our players will bomb it to Hogan like they did to McCarthy, Cox, Taberner etc.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hopefully. I actually really rate Hogan and think he’ll be great for us once we sort out the delivery to him and the other forwards. I don’t particularly rate Lobb though. For our forward line to work it’ll need Lobb, McCarthy, Ballantyne, Colyer and whoever else happens to be in our forward line to be far more dangerous than they were last year, otherwise opposition clubs will place two men on Hogan and our players will bomb it to Hogan like they did to McCarthy, Cox, Taberner etc.
Don’t forgot they have changed the interpretation of the “hands in the back” rule. Watch the debacle it’ll cause over the first few rounds before they over correct it.

The cynic in me thinks the new rule will favour the forwards, and punish the defenders. Like, the exact same action will result in a different outcome depending on whether you’re the forward with your hands on the defenders back, just holding your ground (strength). Or if you’re the evil defender, restricting scoring and ruining AFL TV figures by unfairly pushing the forward in the back, especially if a second defender comes across to mark the ball.

Back