Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t forgot they have changed the interpretation of the “hands in the back” rule. Watch the debacle it’ll cause over the first few rounds before they over correct it.

The cynic in me thinks the new rule will favour the forwards, and punish the defenders. Like, the exact same action will result in a different outcome depending on whether you’re the forward with your hands on the defenders back, just holding your ground (strength). Or if you’re the evil defender, restricting scoring and ruining AFL TV figures by unfairly pushing the forward in the back, especially if a second defender comes across to mark the ball.

Hands in the back rule never applied to Freo players anyway. I'm still dirty when Dangerfield pushed two of our defenders in the back and gathered the ball to kick a goal. Then about a minute later he does the exact same thing.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hopefully. I actually really rate Hogan and think he’ll be great for us once we sort out the delivery to him and the other forwards. I don’t particularly rate Lobb though. For our forward line to work it’ll need Lobb, McCarthy, Ballantyne, Colyer and whoever else happens to be in our forward line to be far more dangerous than they were last year, otherwise opposition clubs will place two men on Hogan and our players will bomb it to Hogan like they did to McCarthy, Cox, Taberner etc.
It's more likely that they will try to pass it to Hogan on the lead or bomb it long to lobb with two men hanging off him.

Hands in the back rule never applied to Freo players anyway. I'm still dirty when Dangerfield pushed two of our defenders in the back and gathered the ball to kick a goal. Then about a minute later he does the exact same thing.
Rules don’t apply the same to Dangefield as others, such as when the ball went out, didn’t get called and he scored a goal.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Having a huge preseason off the field from what I've heard. Haven't heard anything dodgy - but seems to be out and about everywhere. And now we have another photo....
IMG_20190104_184328.jpg

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rules don’t apply the same to Dangefield as others, such as when the ball went out, didn’t get called and he scored a goal.
Funny you say that. Catch the Golden State Vs Rockets game on Friday - Kevin Durant clearly out of bounds (his entire body out of court) when he knocked the ball back in for a Steph Curry basket. Different rules for certain players indeed.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I hope I am wrong but I am guessing he will struggle a bit throughout 2019 with his foot. We might just have to go into the GF without him.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I hope I am wrong but I am guessing he will struggle a bit throughout 2019 with his foot. We might just have to go into the GF without him.
I am thinking it will be the other way, he will only be fit for last few games of the year, and will play brilliant through out the finals.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Something seriously wrong with you guys
Sorry - but that picture of Hogan is just quite odd.

Anyway on a serious note he is recovering steadily but will likely see a delayed start to 2019. Hopefully ready a month (or slightly earlier) into the season. This will open up opportunities for Cox, Tabs and Dardy to work in with Lobb. Should get a feel after about 4 games for who has the runs on the board to stay when Hogan is good to go. Might mean a move to defence for Cox or alternatively if there are injuries in the backline give Kersten a crack.

We have some depth to allow him some time to get his foot fully rehabilitated. Griffin Logue to work himself into the backline mix as well.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can't see it myself. He's pictured this morning barely running, so his fitness is going to be shizen.
Not necessarily. I imagine he has been doing a lot of cross training on the bike or rower to maintain his cardio.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not necessarily. I imagine he has been doing a lot of cross training on the bike or rower to maintain his cardio.
And Alter-G treadmill. He’ll be fine fitness wise. These are professional athletes who still train when injured, not average Joes who lounge around getting fat, looking for sympathy.

🧐 wait a sseeecccoonddddd

05827367-62F5-4985-A58D-283F45D6EEAD.jpeg

Seriously though, he’ll be fine. Has a big tank already. If Cerra could not even run for 3 months and still be ready for round two after zero previous preseasons - I’ll back Hoges to be ready to rock’n’roll some Roos!

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Can't see it myself. He's pictured this morning barely running, so his fitness is going to be shizen.

Also, and please correct me if I am (hopefully) wrong.... but if he was available for round 1 PLUS was reliably available throughout the year, wouldn't that be quite a remarkable outcome for this kind of injury? Navicular?

JBMAN

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a tricky one this one, there are varying reports about recovery from this type of injury. Normally 4 months before resuming full activity but it can vary according to what I have read. The fact that he is kicking the footy would make you think that so far he is on track. The key indicator seems to be that if there is ongoing pain then it can be a bad result in the end and sometimes it can recur after healing. Bad results seem to be in the minority of cases, lets hope Jesse isn't one of those.

Back