Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

Rough trot?? Testicle cancer and the death of a parent.
Apparently suffering cancer just after your dad died from it and seeing your brother also fight it, shortly followed by two severe foot injuries within 12 months doesn’t count as a rough trot. If that doesn’t count as a ‘rough trot’ I don’t what does.

I am still dumbfounded that people are making this a Hagdorn thing, or a compare it to the Eagles thing. The only relative story is that of Ben Cousins.
If you want to put a complaint in, put one in to the club for recruiting a player with such a troubled history. That is the story here.

It is not like Hagdorn made this up out of thin air. Hogan chose to go on a "5 DAY BENDER" at the crown. That is the start of that story. The club was inundated with phone calls telling them they had to get someone to Crown to take him away. If rumours are correct, he put a good dent into the salary we pay him to kick a footy - money I contribute to. It is a no brainer that a player on so many warnings has his contract torn up there and then. Allegedly this decision was changed at the last minute. At this point it is still unlikely that Hogan will be allowed to set foot back at the club until he ticks a string of boxes.

Also good call on the car rollover thing - no it is not easy to flip a car. You have to be travelling at speed, and out of control - like turning really hard. It is reckless, he is lucky he did not kill someone.

Please, stop playing the "media is against us" card here. This is us versus our own in what has soured the start of the year. As a stakeholder I am really pissed off, and I am not letting Hogan play the "I have had a rough trot" lately. I could only assume he is on $800k per year. As Kevin Bartlett would say, we will pay you $1k per year to play football and $799k per year to not take drugs.

On the positive side - the kid can seriously play. Looks most likely that this story is not going to be about his ability to play though.

This is my last post on this topic, I just felt the urge to stop the winging and deflection of this topic away from what it really is.

I reckon because not one journalist with any credit has ran with the story. Most have actually turned the story down..

Interesting discussion. I don't think anyone argues that Hogan hasn't had a tough time and doesn't merit some help in dealing with it. Hopefully he is getting that help, not only from the club but from those close to him.

The problem for the Fremantle footy club and its stakeholders, including us, is that he's currently being paid (handsomely for his age) to play football at a high level, and is not currently in any shape to do so. At some point soon he will therefore be in breach of his side of the contract.

When we reach that point I would hope we free up the money and the list place to fill with someone who can play footy for a living.

Interesting discussion. I don't think anyone argues that Hogan hasn't had a tough time and doesn't merit some help in dealing with it. Hopefully he is getting that help, not only from the club but from those close to him.

The problem for the Fremantle footy club and its stakeholders, including us, is that he's currently being paid (handsomely for his age) to play football at a high level, and is not currently in any shape to do so. At some point soon he will therefore be in breach of his side of the contract.

When we reach that point I would hope we free up the money and the list place to fill with someone who can play footy for a living.

Ross alluded to it being a most vexed situation now - but then gave an optimistic forecast (I think as much for Jesse as the listeners) that he‘ll get back out there some time in 2020. It’s shaping eerily similarly in timeline and outcome to Bennell - different factors driving it though.

Does Jesse have a girlfriend? He needs to quit the partying, marry a good woman and start a family. Nothing like having people depending on you for some perspective and motivation.
If only it was that simple.....didn't work for cousins, chick and probably many others. It did however seem to inspire Sonny. My point is that there is no one quick fix that works for everyone. My other point is that eagles are bad 😜

Does Jesse have a girlfriend? He needs to quit the partying, marry a good woman and start a family. Nothing like having people depending on you for some perspective and motivation.
I think he has a male entourage who encourage him while helping him spend his money & deflect criticisms

OK, a lot of replies. This club has been around since 1993. Hogan was born in 95. I grew up watching a mate get drafted and grind and work to help a club with nothing and no help from the AFL in trash conditions. 27 years later I am still a member, and I still work. I always paid to play footy. I still pay a mortgage and my family and friends know that I am a caring bloke which ties into my work.

So I see this young punk on more money than I earn in 5 years get a leave pass on mental health, when I have seen friends die of cancer that I have attended their funerals. My wife lost her Dad at the age of 13 to cancer. My uncle died of cancer when I was young, and he was my Dad's best friend, but he never got a leave pass. s**t happens, it is just the attitude of people that is different.

Can he take drugs? Yes - I am not saying that footy players do not. I am saying that during preseason, when you take leave, it does not give you the right to go on a rampage party at the expense of members like myself paying for racks and tracks and blowing more money in one night than I make in a year. Then to get sympathy because I am nice. Give me a break. What about every other bloke on the list on less money and doing the right thing. Awesome example.
In any other employment the only strategy would be how to get this bloke out.

So no I do not buy the story. The "Fyfe" case study..."What would Fyfe do in his shoes". I dare say he would put his family first, the Fremantle footy club with that.

You can shoot down me or any other messenger, but the story is a simple equation. If the kitchen is too hot, get out. Because for most of us. $800k in one year is basically winning the lottery. And he is the one choosing to play footy. Robbie Gray overcame the same cancer. Go to any children's hospital and look at all those brave kids. Most of them just want to go to school again.

We all lost Matt Price. He was a stand up champion of this club. It is about legacy. This thread is meant to be about Hogan. At the moment it is just an over paid over indulgent individual. Watch how many people continue to hug and support Hogan if he is delisted.

This is one way the story ends :

Reality will set in pretty quick when you need a real job and you are a has been that had everything.
I would love Hogan to click a switch, but I fear he is just an imposter on our club. My "Fortnite avatar" has him alongside Fyfe and Pearce. The three great hopes to take this magnificent club forward. At the end of the day it comes down to Jesse Hogan, and to choose what he wants. If it is mates and a good time, then that is fine, but if it is footy then you are owned by the members because they pay your wage, and with that there are simple expectations that you need to meet during that short career. It is the same in any other paid job he chooses to pursue...even if he was to go on welfare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, a lot of replies. This club has been around since 1993. Hogan was born in 95. I grew up watching a mate get drafted and grind and work to help a club with nothing and no help from the AFL in trash conditions. 27 years later I am still a member, and I still work. I always paid to play footy. I still pay a mortgage and my family and friends know that I am a caring bloke which ties into my work.

So I see this young punk on more money than I earn in 5 years get a leave pass on mental health, when I have seen friends die of cancer that I have attended their funerals. My wife lost her Dad at the age of 13 to cancer. My uncle died of cancer when I was young, and he was my Dad's best friend, but he never got a leave pass. s**t happens, it is just the attitude of people that is different.

Can he take drugs? Yes - I am not saying that footy players do not. I am saying that during preseason, when you take leave, it does not give you the right to go on a rampage party at the expense of members like myself paying for racks and tracks and blowing more money in one night than I make in a year. Then to get sympathy because I am nice. Give me a break. What about every other bloke on the list on less money and doing the right thing. Awesome example.
In any other employment the only strategy would be how to get this bloke out.

So no I do not buy the story. The "Fyfe" case study..."What would Fyfe do in his shoes". I dare say he would put his family first, the Fremantle footy club with that.

You can shoot down me or any other messenger, but the story is a simple equation. If the kitchen is too hot, get out. Because for most of us. $800k in one year is basically winning the lottery. And he is the one choosing to play footy. Robbie Gray overcame the same cancer. Go to any children's hospital and look at all those brave kids. Most of them just want to go to school again.

We all lost Matt Price. He was a stand up champion of this club. It is about legacy. This thread is meant to be about Hogan. At the moment it is just an over paid over indulgent individual. Watch how many people continue to hug and support Hogan if he is delisted.

This is one way the story ends :

Reality will set in pretty quick when you need a real job and you are a has been that had everything.
I would love Hogan to click a switch, but I fear he is just an imposter on our club. My "Fortnite avatar" has him alongside Fyfe and Pearce. The three great hopes to take this magnificent club forward. At the end of the day it comes down to Jesse Hogan, and to choose what he wants. If it is mates and a good time, then that is fine, but if it is footy then you are owned by the members because they pay your wage, and with that there are simple expectations that you need to meet during that short career. It is the same in any other paid job he chooses to pursue...even if he was to go on welfare.

Mental health shouldn’t be viewed as an injury from ailments and hardships as you allude to here, more as a seperate disease which you can be left more susceptible to due to these events

It doesn’t discriminate, you can suffer from depression or anxiety having had nothing go wrong in your life, or have been homeless your entire life, seen your family murdered and be mentally fine - it’s luck

You wouldn’t denigrate someone dying with metastatic skin cancer because they have more money and work less hours would you? Or compare them to a middle class labourer who had their melanoma cut out and are fine, it’s not too dissimilar

Maybe he should donate his wage to cancer charity while he is on leave. Instead of paying for other professionals and cola to alleviate his mental issues.

Maybe he should donate his wage to cancer charity while he is on leave. Instead of paying for other professionals and cola to alleviate his mental issues.
So lets apply a regular job scenario here
1) Hogan should have entitlement to sick and annual leave and should be paid while on leave
2) If he has used up all his leave, he should be unpaid leave.
3) Jesse can not live a life while not getting paid, he should quit and get a different job

How does Jesse Hogan quitting the sport help Freo if that is where we are heading. I would rather pay him the whole year while supporting him to get better than chcuk him out.

Honestly, the guy clearly has a problem whether that's addiction, mental illness or the most likely scenario of it being both and the two being linked together. AFL is a stressful work environment, that is a fact, and not everyone handles stress/anxiety very well, that is a fact. He has had serious health issues for himself and two of his family members (one of which died) and his career is threatened not just from his own doing but from a serious foot injury. I would argue it's the right thing to do to continue to pay him and support him as best possible.

To me its best for the football club and best from a moral stand point to continue to pay him and support him best as possible. What is the point in not paying him - to send a message we dont stand for your off-field habits despite the fact its very likely driven from personnel issues? How does that make the club look to others? To save some money when we all know the club is a strong enough position where it doesnt need to worry about throwing some player wage down the toilet?

I dont see the argument for not paying him outside of "stuff that guy, he has my dream job and is throwing it down the toilet. How dare he get so much more money than me while not appreciating how 'lucky' he is and then claiming he has s**t life - coz that what mental health problems are - claiming to have a s**t life"

So lets apply a regular job scenario here
1) Hogan should have entitlement to sick and annual leave and should be paid while on leave
2) If he has used up all his leave, he should be unpaid leave.
3) Jesse can not live a life while not getting paid, he should quit and get a different job

How does Jesse Hogan quitting the sport help Freo if that is where we are heading. I would rather pay him the whole year while supporting him to get better than chcuk him out.

Honestly, the guy clearly has a problem whether that's addiction, mental illness or the most likely scenario of it being both and the two being linked together. AFL is a stressful work environment, that is a fact, and not everyone handles stress/anxiety very well, that is a fact. He has had serious health issues for himself and two of his family members (one of which died) and his career is threatened not just from his own doing but from a serious foot injury. I would argue it's the right thing to do to continue to pay him and support him as best possible.

To me its best for the football club and best from a moral stand point to continue to pay him and support him best as possible. What is the point in not paying him - to send a message we dont stand for your off-field habits despite the fact its very likely driven from personnel issues? How does that make the club look to others? To save some money when we all know the club is a strong enough position where it doesnt need to worry about throwing some player wage down the toilet?

I dont see the argument for not paying him outside of "stuff that guy, he has my dream job and is throwing it down the toilet. How dare he get so much more money than me while not appreciating how 'lucky' he is and then claiming he has s**t life - coz that what mental health problems are - claiming to have a s**t life"

Jesse deserves his money , the club made a bad investment it happens but I wonder if there is any recourse for a guardianship arrangement where they could pay his expenses while he focuses on getting himself better but keep the bulk of it in trust

The pressure will only grow on everyone if the results aren't great this year and Jesses out playing up and photos and videos are doing the rounds while the club is getting slagged off by all and sundry

You can't just be paying the bloke to further damage our already sketchy image , reputations are hard to build and easy to ruin and ours is already in the toilet

* it's possible I've been watching to much Succession

I get that people are annoyed Jesse Hogan isn't the superhero meant to save us - that he is not the Messiah and is instead a very naughty boy - but holy ******* mindmelt, people. Can we lay off the abuse, rampant speculation and grotesque caricaturing that some of our own neuroses and personal circumstances are generating here?

Dude is away from the club, getting his act together. Let's allow that to happen without quite the insane levels of shitty posturing (from both sides) that is going on in here.

You know nothing. Really. You have heard a bunch of stuff but that's it. It really isn't good enough to completely shitcan a bloke on.

I get that people are annoyed Jesse Hogan isn't the superhero meant to save us - that he is not the Messiah and is instead a very naughty boy - but holy ******* mindmelt, people. Can we lay off the abuse, rampant speculation and grotesque caricaturing that some of our own neuroses and personal circumstances are generating here?

Dude is away from the club, getting his act together. Let's allow that to happen without quite the insane levels of shitty posturing (from both sides) that is going on in here.

You know nothing. Really. You have heard a bunch of stuff but that's it. It really isn't good enough to completely shitcan a bloke on.
Exactly, but you also forget that BigFooty isn't really the place to find people with logical opinions, people on this site don't think a lot before posting.

Bloody hell ,some people cant comprehend what mental illness is ,the amount of times I've heard people say things like snap out of it ,* me sideways it's like saying snap out of cancer .drug abuse , alcohol dependence and poor choices go hand in hand with mental illness, seriously do we think Jesse is in a good place .is it so hard to be emphatic ?

Sorry meant to say empathic
Bloody hell ,some people cant comprehend what mental illness is ,the amount of times I've heard people say things like snap out of it ,fu** me sideways it's like saying snap out of cancer .drug abuse , alcohol dependence and poor choices go hand in hand with mental illness, seriously do we think Jesse is in a good place .is it so hard to be emphatic ?
meant to say empathic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back