List Mgmt. The sign up Mclovin thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's hope so as this guy is going to be a gun. Hope he stays fit with the breathtaking way he plays. Watch out Stringer, "the new package" is after your title!

Apparently contract talks are not on hold and discussions have commenced, I'm also told that he has a very strong bond with Pyke

I've also noticed that over the past couple weeks since talks have commenced the noise from the West has gone quiet

I'm calling it early that Shooter will stay

Wrong wrong wrong, much prefer to finish in the top 8 than bottom. Better to be an Adelaide fan than a Carlton fan.

You put too much weight on trades, the trade builds the team but there are 22 playing, 3 coaches, 20 other people hanging around the club who all who need to work together to win a premiership. If Geelong don't win it with Danger, it could be a whole number of things that go wrong, but it won't be trading Dangerfield in.

Almost ridiculous to think a trade can win a GF.
No I don't. I'm talking about the value of a traded / drafted player.

If you don't think the players you have in your team matter, I don't know what to tell you.

Every player that comes in matters, because they take the place / money / contract of another player that could have been in the squad.

Let's take PD as an example. If you venture across to the Cats board you will find a number of their supporters that still think they made the wrong choice with Danger / Henderson / S.Selwood. They gave up young talent for older talent. If these players don't win a cup, what is the use? They will be behind the 8-ball for years to come. Look, I like that they are taking the risk - but if that risk doesn't pay off, you'd have to question if it was the right risk.

If you think AFL clubs are in the business of finishing as high as they can, every year - I reckon you need to have another look.

Premierships count. Not profilts, not number of members, not website hits, not twitter followers, not All-Australian selections, not Rising Stars, not Brownlows, not 300-game players ... in the end, all that matters is premierships.

The players that deliver that premiership will prove that their acquisition (by trade or draft) was the right choice. If we don't win a premiership, then we need to look at the choices that led to the outcome and be ruthless in how we assess those decisions.

Same goes for coaches. If they don't win a premiership, they were the wrong choices too.

We haven't won one since 1998. That's bad. 20 years is just around the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently contract talks are not on hold and discussions have commenced, I'm also told that he has a very strong bond with Pyke

I've also noticed that over the past couple weeks since talks have commenced the noise from the West has gone quiet

Haven't you learnt your lesson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn you TSR, you've hurt me before. At least this info matches what pyke said earlier. Apparently.

How do you judge the impact?

The only thing that matters in the end is, did the trade help you win the premiership or not. Unless you are in the business for website hits and scarfe sales?

Which was a better trade? Brian Lake or Patrick Dangerfield?

That's why I said I thought Mitchell might be a better trade result than Kennedy for the West Coast.

I think you're mixing seperate and distinct factors together. Although I'm just stepping into the convo at this moment. Geelong win the Danger trade all day every day regardless of success. Top 3 mid of the competition for a mid 1st and 2nd is a win, even if they needed a ruckman. The other part is purely subjective and based and nearly impossible to quantify. Port's first missing link was another tall forward, they recruited Ryder. They may have been right at the former and wrong at the latter. Or wrong on the former but still won the trade. Which they didn't.

Wins and losses of trades are determined when the paperwork is accepted at AFL House. Everything else is about whether the football department are judging their lists properly and making the right decisions. Although it was a standard excuse at our club, I am willing to accept that sometimes independent trades can be combined to a net effect because, "we needed to move on quickly as we had other trades to do". But that can't be used for every ass reeming you receive.

Sharenberg is not in the same level as Darcy.
Bicks how do you rate Darcy?
He's a certainty for a top 10 pick, just how high he goes will depend on him franking his under age form.....this is again a high quality draft well into the 30's IMO. Really no comparison to Scharenberg, better in every facet of his skill set already, only comparison Scharenberg would come close would be as an inside mid extractor....this kid is a beast.

I think you're mixing seperate and distinct factors together. Although I'm just stepping into the convo at this moment. Geelong win the Danger trade all day every day regardless of success. Top 3 mid of the competition for a mid 1st and 2nd is a win, even if they needed a ruckman. The other part is purely subjective and based and nearly impossible to quantify. Port's first missing link was another tall forward, they recruited Ryder. They may have been right at the former and wrong at the latter. Or wrong on the former but still won the trade. Which they didn't.

Wins and losses of trades are determined when the paperwork is accepted at AFL House. Everything else is about whether the football department are judging their lists properly and making the right decisions. Although it was a standard excuse at our club, I am willing to accept that sometimes independent trades can be combined to a net effect because, "we needed to move on quickly as we had other trades to do". But that can't be used for every ass reeming you receive.
Not my point. I don't think that big trades that result in no premiership cup should be given the thumbs up. Surely you only trade or draft someone into your club to help you win a premiership? If you don't get one before they are done ... you probably missed an opportunity somewhere.

You can't say that Geelong win the Danger trade - no matter what. You can't. What if that trade actually send the Crows down the path to a premiership? Do you still say we lost it?

Imagine a time traveller coming back and telling us he had been to every possible future for our club, and the club becomes a 5 time premiership juggernaut from 2018 - 2022 if we trade Sloane and Talia in the 2017 trade period for 1 first round draft pick each. Would you then call those trades losses?

What if St Kilda didn't pick Riewoldt in 2000, but got Burgoyne instead. No-one is questioning what Nick brought (and brings) to the Saints footy club ... but if getting Burgoyne would have delivered just one premiership ... I bet they wish they had a Delorean.

I'm saying you can't call a trade a win or a loss, until you see if they contributed to a premiership. If they did - then it's a win, if they didn't then it's irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back