Entertainment & Music The Simpsons Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you a kid or teen when you saw it?

Defenders of season 10+ are usually nostalgic.
There’s two extremes: those that say it’s still very good (it’s not) and those that say they haven’t produced a great episode since season 10 (they have). I watched on and off probably through to season 20-something, definitely haven’t watched it in the last five years. My memory is that it hit a real low point somewhere around season 15, just no great episodes at all. A couple years later, there were a few genuinely great episodes but still too often surrounded by dross. I will use Disney+ to check out some of the newer seasons, try to see where it stands, objectively.

There’s two extremes: those that say it’s still very good (it’s not) and those that say they haven’t produced a great episode since season 10 (they have). I watched on and off probably through to season 20-something, definitely haven’t watched it in the last five years. My memory is that it hit a real low point somewhere around season 15, just no great episodes at all. A couple years later, there were a few genuinely great episodes but still too often surrounded by dross. I will use Disney+ to check out some of the newer seasons, try to see where it stands, objectively.
From memory there still are quite a few decent episodes, or at least good or funny parts of episodes through from maybe season 10-13? But calling any of them 'great', yeah sorry no.

Rewatching season 8, you can see the change creeping in (Homer is a cretin and "happy" endings pulled out of nowhere). I think the creeping kept people keep watching longer than they should've because it's gradual. I'm so sorry if you kept hoping until season 15.

From memory there still are quite a few decent episodes, or at least good or funny parts of episodes through from maybe season 10-13? But calling any of them 'great', yeah sorry no.
Homer being prescribed medical marijuana is a genuine great episode that was season 13, episode 16 apparently. There was one quite late in the piece where Homer becomes an internet pirate and sets up a cinema in his backyard that was great too. Those are the only two that spring to mind but you’d find two or three very good episodes each year outside that nadir of about 14-17. That’s still a small hit rate.

Mind you, a bad Simpsons was still better than a Will & Grace reboot and some of the other sitcoms produced in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is meant to be funny?

This clip is typical of many '* Off Era Simpsons' bits. Cramming in old songs so olds like it and overlook the deficient humour.

Cannabis doesn't make you see things like mushrooms and LSD. "Maybe that's satire". Given the non-subtlety of everything else, doubtful.

Referencing something isn't satirizing it.

Last edited:
This clip is typical of many 'fu** Off Era Simpsons' bits. Cramming in old songs so olds like it and overlook the deficient humour.

Cannabis doesn't make you see things like mushrooms and LSD. "Maybe that's satire". Given the non-subtlety of everything else, doubtful.

Just a note that because you don't find it funny, it doesn't mean other people can't.

This clip is typical of many 'fu** Off Era Simpsons' bits. Cramming in old songs so olds like it and overlook the deficient humour.

This is the crap i mean. Just switch off your brain and enjoy the "cartoon"

You dont need to analyze everything and come across like a know it all twat.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

How can you laugh at the clever subtle jokes like the art teacher if you turn your brain off?

The first 11 seconds of this is a subtle cannabis joke

Lisa saying "smells like the art teacher's office" immediately after Homer lights a joint is not subtle.

Just switch off your brain and enjoy the "cartoon"

No, * that. Itchy & Scratchy is a cartoon. The Simpsons is a comedy series that happens to be animated. "Just look past it being a piece of s**t today" doesn't cut it when it's famous for being really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back