Entertainment & Music The Simpsons Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

What episode do you recall as being the moment you realised The Simpsons had passed it's peak and was now going downhill?

I remember getting some DVD's off a friend at school that had some eps of s16 that had yet to be shown in Aus.

Got half way through the second episode (All's Fair in Oven War) when I realised there was not much point continuing, as I hadn't enjoyed the previous episode either.

Looking through the episode guide on Wikipedia I don't recall any of the episodes from s15, however s14 I definitely remember most of them and enjoyed a few eps.

So for me even though I recall a specific episode where I realised it was no longer good, s15 appears to have been where I lost interest.

I don't even remember the exact episode, I think it was about 15 years ago or so, but whatever episode it was ended with Cletus saying 'how sweet it is!' I'd noticed the decline for a while, but that was the first time I sat through a Simpsons episode and didn't laugh once. I haven't watched a new Simpsons episode since.

Having a quick look at the episode summaries on Wikipedia, I would say season 15 was where I stopped watching. I don't think I was religiously watching at that point though. When 10 stopped showing it at 6 PM is when I really stopped watching proper. I remember friends in high school asking if I'd seen last nights new episode and them being shocked when I told then I had not.

You might catch an episode on free to air every now and then when you are flicking through the channels but it is certainly never one of the "classics".

What episode do you recall as being the moment you realised The Simpsons had passed it's peak and was now going downhill?

I remember getting some DVD's off a friend at school that had some eps of s16 that had yet to be shown in Aus.

Got half way through the second episode (All's Fair in Oven War) when I realised there was not much point continuing, as I hadn't enjoyed the previous episode either.

Looking through the episode guide on Wikipedia I don't recall any of the episodes from s15, however s14 I definitely remember most of them and enjoyed a few eps.

So for me even though I recall a specific episode where I realised it was no longer good, s15 appears to have been where I lost interest.

(S11) Saddlesore Galactica is my threshold when it crosses from being a piece of amazing, legendary television (that had already started to form cracks.) to just a decent show.

(S14) Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky was what made me stop buying the DVDs.

What I've seen of seasons 23-25 makes me think that's the darkest depths and the show has sputtered along since then with the rare good episode. Those seasons have:
- Lady Gaga's self-promotional peace
- The story of Moe's talking bar-rag
- Bart impregnating his art teacher with voodoo and being kidnapped by the mafia to impregnate a gay racehorse

That cannot be real - right?

I don't even know how the idea made it's way onto paper, let alone production.

Bart doesn't like his art class, so when he makes a voodoo doll of his art teacher, she becomes pregnant. Fat Tony kidnaps Bart to conceive a thoroughbred racehorse.

What I've seen of seasons 23-25 makes me think that's the darkest depths and the show has sputtered along since then with the rare good episode. Those seasons have:
- Lady Gaga's self-promotional peace
- The story of Moe's talking bar-rag
- Bart impregnating his art teacher with voodoo and being kidnapped by the mafia to impregnate a gay racehorse

those 3 would be in the worst 10 easily, plus the manatee episode and the Gil Xmas episode (as much as I enjoy ol' Gil, that episode was not good).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people point to the episode where Maude Flanders dies as the moment the show went to sh*t and I tend to agree.

I think the only episode I enjoyed from that point was the one where Bart adopts a race horse and Homer is kidnapped by a group of jockeys.

The principal and the pauper was the first sign. Season 9 still had some decent episodes but that's when it started to decline.

Ribwich ep is a beaut

RhDRBE6z1E8uzchW7U1dgF472oItrTem1JHTg0MkzY8.jpg

those 3 would be in the worst 10 easily, plus the manatee episode and the Gil Xmas episode (as much as I enjoy ol' Gil, that episode was not good).
Gil is a cameo character at best, much like the "just stamp the ticket guy". Giving him his own episode was always going to be bad.

The principal and the pauper was the first sign. Season 9 still had some decent episodes but that's when it started to decline.
frank grimes ep is the first sign, is obviously a classic ep in and of itself but set homer off on the "jerkass" slope his character never recovered from

For those who don't have Foxtel, Hurricane Neddy is on FTA tonight at 7.00pm.

Good Simpsons are back :thumbsupv1:
One of the best eps.

'Yeah, we ran out of floorboards there, so we painted the dirt. Pretty clever!'

Moe's delivery here for the pretty clever bit is fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back