FTA-TV The Simpsons

Remove this Banner Ad

Episode 1 "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire". Aired December 17th 1989.

It's odd to premiere with a Christmas episode but Fox did it. Probably been 15 years since I last watched this. Everyone remembers how 'bad' early Simpsons looked but the tonal differences are probably more stark, the actors haven't defined the characters' voices yet. And this episode plays more like a straight sitcom than the very wacky stuff to come (probably will be like that the whole first season). I'm surprised how many supporting characters get to talk in this episode; Skinner, Patty, Selma, Grandpa, Mr Burns, Barney, Flanders and others.

Our first look at Lisa

latest

Funny when Bart talks about TV misleading him about Christmas miracles.

A quick 23 minutes. This is already better than watching on Channel 10 :p

Episode 2 "Bart the Genius". Aired January 14th, 1990.

A lot of badly dated animation in this and the world doesn't quite look like The Simpsons world. A lot of maths and science jokes at Bart's school. The Simpsons writers really weren't idiots. They made intellectual references and jokes because they actually understood them (years later in Futurama this would show itself too).

s1e2.jpg

Episode 3 "Homer's Odyssey". Aired January 21st, 1990.

A lot of nuclear power jokes in this episode. Smithers is black.

1416278596512_Image_galleryImage_I_ve_been_reading_The_Sim.JPG

Unemployed Homer watching TV is great.

I remember the very end with Homer dancing looked lame when I was younger and it still kind of sucks.

Episode 12 "Krusty Gets Busted". Aired April 29th 1990.

First time I've watched this in about 13 years. It wasn't a regular in Ten's rotation. Kelsey Grammer's first performance as Sideshow Bob. Still in Cheers with Frasier 3 years away.

vlc-The-Simpsons-S01E12-3.jpg

"Big shoes to fill, big shoes to fill, big shoes to fill"

Finished season 1. They did the Homer's beard grows back immediately after shaving joke at least twice. Didn't know that was a running gag so early. Season is relatively grounded compared to what comes later. Marge is my least favourite character so far but she's really well written. I'm much closer to Homer and Marge's age than I am Bart and Lisa's which is a little weird after watching all this as a kid.

Season 2 Episode 5 "Dancin' Homer". Aired November 8th 1990.

A lot of baseball and hasbeen player jokes in this. Didn't get most of them as a kid.

Season 2 Episode 6 "Dead Putting Society". Aired November 15th 1990.

This episode always annoyed me a bit. It's funny.

Season 2 Episode 7 "Bart vs. Thanksgiving". Aired November 22nd 1990.

As a kid this episode made me think Thanksgiving was just a name for Christmas in America. It's really great.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 2 Episode 12 "The Way We Was". Aired January 31st 1991.

The first flashback episode. Homer and Marge meet in high school. It's really great. And it probably takes the piss out of the 70s too (too young to say for sure).

untitled.jpg

Season 2 Episode 13 "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment". Aired February 7th 1991.

This is quite good and an example of just how much they pack into 23 minutes. The time flies by. It shows its age a bit with the Christian moral themes. You could say that about many Simpsons episodes made before the hyper politicization of the Christian right.

94.jpg

Season 2 Episode 14 "Principal Charming". Aired February 14th (clever date), 1991.

A really good episode where Principal Skinner gets a lead role falling in love with Marge's sister.

Season 2 Episode 15 "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?". Aired February 21st, 1991.

The first of Danny Devito's two appearances as Homer's long lost half-brother Herb Powell (he'll be back at the end of season 3). Probably fair to say this episode isn't as well remembered as the other one. Great job making him look like Homer, didn't realise how good as a kid. Clever too to not show his face until he meets Homer. Bit of a Mr Burn's thing where having a rich character means they do all kinds of cool stuff.

Season 2 Episode 16 "Bart's Dog Gets an "F"".
Aired March 7th, 1991.

Wasn't sure I liked this much because I'd seen it countless times as a kid but by ending where Santa's Little Helper gets to stay I loved it. UNINTENTIONAL PERIOD PIECE: Homer picks up the phone to continue the argument at the window. Giant ******* thing with a cord.

AJHlF6C.jpg

Finished rewatching season 2. Can see why the writers felt restrained with all the love/family stuff. That aspect feels a bit repetitive after 22 episodes. Plus I simply remember more of it than season 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back