The small forward line is Dead - Viva la revolucion

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma let slip a little gem on talking footy recently that I’m surprised reporters didn’t pick up and run with rather ask about Stacky living with dusty🙄
He mentioned that scoring from forward half turnovers is down significantly due to the FB ability to add a further 15-20 to his old kick in
For mine this spells doom for the abundant small forward line , no longer can they terrorise and corner and create the repeat entry , ball is landing into open territory

The top 4 standout sides are all running with min twin talls , get with the program Tigers ,,,NoW

Dimma let slip a little gem on talking footy recently that I’m surprised reporters didn’t pick up and run with rather ask about Stacky living with dusty🙄
He mentioned that scoring from forward half turnovers is down significantly due to the FB ability to add a further 15-20 to his old kick in
For mine this spells doom for the abundant small forward line , no longer can they terrorise and corner and create the repeat entry , ball is landing into open territory

The top 4 standout sides are all running with min twin talls , get with the program Tigers ,,,NoW

I think we want to, but Jack is injured

Not sure it is a permanent death to the small forward line as we don't over-populate out lists with tall timber as general rule and with them taking longer and injuries, I think history will repeat itself again. But you are right in that we are seeing a correction to an over-correction by the Tiges. You suggesting Randy Newman should be our next coach are you Bo?;):D

:musickeyboard::sax::musicnotes:
Short people got no place
at the Tiiiiiiiges.
They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
Nank's got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little eyes
That go peep, peep, peep
They got squeaky little voices
sayin' please pick me,
They got grubby little kicks
And practically no marks
They're hard to even see on the park,
Well, I don't want more short people
Don't need more short people
Don't recruit any short people
'Round here

Last edited:

Its funny that a rule introduced to help ball movement out of D50 and increase scoring has actually just diminished an existing avenue for scoring.
Scoring patterns always fluctuate. Scoring from D50 has been down since 2017. Scoring from F50 turnovers is down this year. But the one avenue that always exists is scoring from stoppages. The Fremantle game has been our best this season where scoring almost purely came from stoppages. We might not have a dominant ruckman or big bodied mid but Hawthorn has proven over the years you just need variety in your clearances. It worked when we sent Vlastuin in there to mix it up. Now we need to give Rioli/Castagna/Bolton/Butler/Higgins a run in the middle too to apply that pressure where its needed most.

Our plan always was move away from the 1 tall 2 resting mids and 3 small set up as soon as we got Lynch across the line. Unfortunately Jack has missed most of the season and the options at VFL level weren't exactly banging down the door to get picked in his place. So we've gone back to what we know so to speak, but with 6-6-6 in place we can't utilise it the way we did in 2017 with 1-2 numbers off the back of the square to create more space. So in effect our F50 starts off crowded and as the play unfolds becomes more crowded as the opposition and our own players move into our forward line with the play.

As I've said a number of times this weekend, when we get Jack back and can reset the structure/set up we wanted to play with we'll see a much better functioning forward line, until then we're going to just have to do as good as we can with the structure we know.

Our plan always was move away from the 1 tall 2 resting mids and 3 small set up as soon as we got Lynch across the line. Unfortunately Jack has missed most of the season and the options at VFL level weren't exactly banging down the door to get picked in his place. So we've gone back to what we know so to speak, but with 6-6-6 in place we can't utilise it the way we did in 2017 with 1-2 numbers off the back of the square to create more space. So in effect our F50 starts off crowded and as the play unfolds becomes more crowded as the opposition and our own players move into our forward line with the play.

As I've said a number of times this weekend, when we get Jack back and can reset the structure/set up we wanted to play with we'll see a much better functioning forward line, until then we're going to just have to do as good as we can with the structure we know.
in that case we ought to be trialling a replacement right now for JR...Chol...not wait till JR is back and then start the fine tuning...

Its funny that a rule introduced to help ball movement out of D50 and increase scoring has actually just diminished an existing avenue for scoring.
Scoring patterns always fluctuate. Scoring from D50 has been down since 2017. Scoring from F50 turnovers is down this year. But the one avenue that always exists is scoring from stoppages. The Fremantle game has been our best this season where scoring almost purely came from stoppages. We might not have a dominant ruckman or big bodied mid but Hawthorn has proven over the years you just need variety in your clearances. It worked when we sent Vlastuin in there to mix it up. Now we need to give Rioli/Castagna/Bolton/Butler/Higgins a run in the middle too to apply that pressure where its needed most.
NOne of them will make productive mids in the short term , I feel that promoting the likes of balta as a follower is closer to the answer , we missed his drive anchoring him in defence where he was needed in astbury absence
Chol also needs to be played to turn the structure on its ear , shame Moore is injured , he too would have provided a different setup

in that case we ought to be trialling a replacement right now for JR...Chol...not wait till JR is back and then start the fine tuning...

Watch that happens next game I suspect.

Last edited:
We recruited for a rulebook that is no longer with us under the fake guise of “state of the game”.

Correct, we recruited and perfected a game plan under the rules of the time.

A couple of previously dominant clubs couldn’t handle that they were struggling to win finals any more so sooked to have the rules changed.

The campaign got underway on AFL 360 2 days after the 2017 Grand Final by Chris Scott. All he wanted to talk about was where the game was headed, nothing about the actual Grand Final.
It reached its crescendo midway through last year with Gerard Whateley and Steve Hocking taking the reins when we were dominating the competition.

Then they came up with their weasle slogan “state of the game”.

It was only ever about the state of Geelong

A couple of previously dominant clubs couldn’t handle that they were struggling to win finals any more so sooked to have the rules changed.

The campaign got underway on AFL 360 2 days after the 2017 Grand Final by Chris Scott. All he wanted to talk about was where the game was headed, nothing about the actual Grand Final.
It reached its crescendo midway through last year with Gerard Whateley and Steve Hocking taking the reins when we were dominating the competition.

Stop Dangerflop and you stop geelol...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've made it clear that we don't select players unless they are worthy of being selected. Neither Chol or Moore were in form early in the season to warrant selection. Even now Chols form has been a yo-yo where he dominated the Essendon game, stunk against North but then played well again yesterday.

Sorry, don't buy the conspiracy theory. The 'state of the game' argument had been running for years.

Last edited:
We've made it clear that we don't select players unless they are worthy of being selected. Neither Chol or Moore were in form early in the season to warrant selection. Even now Chols form has been a yo-yo where he dominated the Essendon game, stunk against North but then played well again yesterday.

Queue the song by Meatloaf

Of course it was

Spot on,I remember that clearly,also each Tiger win last year,Whateley’s sooking got louder and louder.

Corrupt Football League.

Spot on,I remember that clearly,also each Tiger win last year,Whateley’s sooking got louder and louder.

Corrupt Football League.

The sheer mention of that sanctimonious virtue signalling knob Whatley puts me in rant mode . He is everything that is wrong in football and the world . Rant over .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure it is a permanent death to the small forward line as we don't over-populate out lists with tall timber as general rule and with them taking longer and injuries, I think history will repeat itself again. But you are right in that we are seeing a correction to an over-correction by the Tiges. You suggesting Randy Newman should be our next coach are you Bo?;):D

:musickeyboard::sax::musicnotes:
at the Tiiiiiiiges.
They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
Nank's got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little eyes
That go peep, peep, peep
They got squeaky little voices
sayin' please pick me,
They got grubby little kicks
And practically no marks
They're hard to even see on the park,
Well, I don't want more short people
Don't need more short people
Don't recruit any short people
'Round here
This is perhaps the best thing I have ever read.

The one tall forward line died in 1997 when blight left modra out of the GF , our opponents are basking in its simplicity to unravel , change the ****en thing , nOw
Ummm you know why Modra didn't play that GF right and your just having a lend by saying Blight omitted him. :think:

Was it 1998 he was omitted? Didn't play that year either but can't remember if he was injured or dropped.
1997 he did his ACL in the prelim but i think Blight might have done it in 98 yes as he was turfed for the prelim, hence why Modra high tailed it to Freo in 99.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back