Opinion The smartest players

Remove this Banner Ad

I waffle on about Boomer a lot, but the guy was seriously smart. Every kick was so deliberate, the polar opposite of a guy like Ziebell. I used to see him weave around 5 blokes, just so he could execute the perfect kick rather than roosting down into the forward line like anyone else would have done.

Right now, as others have said, Cunnington. One of the few blokes on our list that has the composure to stop and think about what he's doing. Never panics, never rushes. If he needs some extra time to think and someone insists on tackling him, well...
giphy.gif

Is that the best fend off in the history of the game? The Freo guy was humiliated. Made me think of Mike Catt trying to tackle Jonah Lomu at the Rugby World Cup in South Africa in 95.

For North, Carey. Massively underrated football brain.

Others for me would be Peter Matera - his brain alone carved out a few more years at the top level once he lost his pace.

Simon Black was always 2 moves ahead of everyone.

if anyone ever doubts Carey's footy smarts you just need to show them the Round 17 game against Melbourne in 1996. He completely orchestrated the whole game. Some of his running patterns and second efforts were staggering. Just kept getting to the right spot. Displayed pretty much every skill of the game on both sides of the body as well.

Higgo

Last Friday night was the Professor

Still blown away how when I was at Arden St. and talking with Higgo about strategies & on-balling techniques in the midfield etc.

When you can get him talking about the game seriously he's as smart as they come.

Of our current side, I'd rate Tarryn Thomas as right up there. Gets himself into the right places and makes multiple hummingbird-speed decisions in a contest. Yes, it's instinct, but it's also just plain footy smarts too.

Of the future I'd say Will Walker. Very good reader of the play for his age, in that small sample of games we saw him in. I predict he'll be our genius.

Of our current side, I'd rate Tarryn Thomas as right up there. Gets himself into the right places and makes multiple hummingbird-speed decisions in a contest. Yes, it's instinct, but it's also just plain footy smarts too.

Of the future I'd say Will Walker. Very good reader of the play for his age, in that small sample of games we saw him in. I predict he'll be our genius.

Will Walke's couple of games reminded me of a young Nathan Brown.

Carey was great as some have mentioned, too bad he cant transition that to the commentary box with all the trash he talks.

We have a few smart footballers currently, it's the ones that don't rush isn't it. Higgins(gifted with smarts and skill) Cunners(makes up for his lack of pace), Scotty(almost lost all his athletic ability recently, yet still getting a game and playing well.), Ben Brown has great leading patterns.

It's certainly not blokes like JZ and Lmac though, luckily they are hard at it most of the time.

Simon Black was always 2 moves ahead of everyone.

One of the first guys I thought of. Good call.

Of the current-day blokes (from other sides)....

Pendles and Sidebottom both super clever on-field and both read the game beautifully. I know he's persona non gRATa around here these days, but Heeney is up there. Betts as smart/crafty/opportunistic as they come. Like Val said, there's more than a few.

Will Walke's couple of games reminded me of a young Nathan Brown.

Not sure Sopwiths was the avid footy fan she is nowadays back when Brownie was a "young" player, so that reference may be a little lost on her.

That aside, I thought her Will Walker call was a cracker. Very astute observation from the small sample size we've had.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if anyone ever doubts Carey's footy smarts you just need to show them the Round 17 game against Melbourne in 1996. He completely orchestrated the whole game. Some of his running patterns and second efforts were staggering. Just kept getting to the right spot. Displayed pretty much every skill of the game on both sides of the body as well.
Another great Carey performance was against Melbourne in 2001. An injury riddled Duck was carrying more padding than a Pink Lady truck and spent most of the day in the goal square. Still kicked 6. The number of times he ran opponents 3 steps the wrong way, then took 3 steps towards the ball and marked was so simple yet so impressive. The Greatest.

Another great Carey performance was against Melbourne in 2001. An injury riddled Duck was carrying more padding than a Pink Lady truck and spent most of the day in the goal square. Still kicked 6. The number of times he ran opponents 3 steps the wrong way, then took 3 steps towards the ball and marked was so simple yet so impressive. The Greatest.

We could add Jim & Phil to the candidates also. Both seriously smart footballers.

Not sure Sopwiths was the avid footy fan she is nowadays back when Brownie was a "young" player, so that reference may be a little lost on her.

That aside, I thought her Will Walker call was a cracker. Very astute observation from the small sample size we've had.

Cheers TOD. I've had a great mentor!

Nah, for real 7577969919 I didn't start watching footy until 2015, when I started subscribing to WatchAFL. Had to rely on TOD's reports and you tube clips courtesy of Giantroo's great channel (bless him!) for the few years before that. So my historical knowledge is patchy. But I remember there was this one player named Sam Gibson who was very smart..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back