The Smashing Pumpkins: a Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

2. Mayonaise (Siamese Dream - 1993)

My top two are pretty much equal and on any given day either could be number one, so just to be different I'll slot Mayonaise into second spot. The standout track from a truly phenomenal album, a masterpiece on every level.

No more promise no more sorrow
No longer will I follow
Can anybody hear me
I just want to be me
When I can, I will
Try to understand
That when I can, I will

2. Mayonaise (Siamese Dream - 1993)

My top two are pretty much equal and on any given day either could be number one, so just to be different I'll slot Mayonaise into second spot. The standout track from a truly phenomenal album, a masterpiece on every level.

No more promise no more sorrow
No longer will I follow
Can anybody hear me
I just want to be me
When I can, I will
Try to understand
That when I can, I will

What's your number one?!!

1. Galapogos (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - 1995)

As is often the case my number one song is one of the deeper cuts. This is the song that has kept me going back to Mellon Collie for over two decades, just a beautiful track with powerful lyrics open to interpretation.

Well, there you have it. Thanks to DIG for allowing me to borrow his thread. I hope some of you old school fans who stopped paying attention in the 90's found something to like. Cheers all.

Great choice Agent13! They really are a diverse band aren't they. Clearly i love their heavier stuff a lot more than you do but their diversity is what's so great about them (or him mostly). Even songs like Cupid De Locke are fantastic.

I thought the song Oceania might have been in your list (unless I missed it), love that song.

They're a band I dont listen too much to anymore because it's from a different period of my life, and my wife, well she just wouldnt get it, even if she likes the music, the voice can be ingratiating. But up to and including Melon Collie This is one of my very favorite bands, alongside The Beatles even.

Billy was a machine in the 90s, pumping out amazing riffs and beautiful melodies. I kind of lost interest after Melon Collie. Adore was ok, but the gas was waning.

Great choice Agent13! They really are a diverse band aren't they. Clearly i love their heavier stuff a lot more than you do but their diversity is what's so great about them (or him mostly). Even songs like Cupid De Locke are fantastic.

I thought the song Oceania might have been in your list (unless I missed it), love that song.

Yeah, Cupid De Locke is a nice little track. Oceania always seemed a little disjointed to me, it's an okay track but it's not one that makes we reach for the repeat button like much of the rest of the album. Glad you love it though!

1. Galapogos (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - 1995)

As is often the case my number one song is one of the deeper cuts. This is the song that has kept me going back to Mellon Collie for over two decades, just a beautiful track with powerful lyrics open to interpretation.

Well, there you have it. Thanks to DIG for allowing me to borrow his thread. I hope some of you old school fans who stopped paying attention in the 90's found something to like. Cheers all.

a beautiful choice

9. Cherub Rock (Siamese Dream - 1993)

Who wants honey?

Hipsters unite! Not sure what "hipsters" meant back in 1993 but there you go. Such a great rock song this, great start, cracking finish, guitar solo, catchy tune. Wonderful start to a classic album, an anthem of its time.

I love this song

the early 90s was a great time for music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back