Society/Culture The SMHs threat to out Rebel Wilson

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've noticed Fairfax's steady decline into the gutter under the mismanagement of Peter Costello, but this latest episode leaves a particularly bad taste in the mouth. They threatened actress Rebel Wilson, who had previously not chosen to confirm her sexuality publicly, with outing her in the newspaper as being in a same-sex relationship. Human excrement Andrew Convery not only admits this without any hint of shame, but has the gall to write a column whinging about Wilson's decision to subsequently come out on social media, pre-empting the SMHs exclusive scoop.

Human excrement goes on to write that "Considering how bitterly Wilson had complained about poor journalism standards when she successfully sued Woman’s Day for defamation, her choice to ignore our discreet, genuine and honest queries was, in our view, underwhelming", as though the SMH were the ones who had been wronged. It's sanctimonious, self-indulgent tripe. Why would she want everyone to learn of her sexuality from a newspaper gossip column, rather than announcing it on her own terms? She ignored their queries because they were blackmailing her!

You may ask, why does this matter in 2022? We're all cool with gays and bis now, so what's the big deal? And who cares what happens to celebrities? Well, I'll give you three reasons why it matters:

1. As much as Western society may have progressed towards the acceptance of gay, lesbian and bisexual people, homophobia still happens. In his article, human excrement wrote "It is unlikely she would have experienced the sort of discrimination let alone homophobia – subconscious or overt – that sadly still affects so many gay, lesbian and non-hetero people". But how the hell would he know what she has experienced, or what her family situation is?

Because it's still quite a sensitive topic for many people and their understandable fears of mistreatment from society, outing others is ugly, whether they be a celebrity or an average Joe/Jane. It should always be left up to the individual to do on their own terms, not some media sh!tbag posting celebrity clickbait.

2. The continuing issues gays, lesbians and bisexuals face often come from people who claim to have no problem with them existing, but do not want themselves or their families to see or hear of same-sex relationships in public. I'm sure you've heard the twits who say "I don't mind gay people, I just don't like how they rub it in our faces!" or some other amusingly-phrased claptrap. I call this soft homophobia.

Those people are still pretty numerous, which is why the story of a celebrity being revealed to be same-sex attracted is still considered "news" and apparently worthy of being printed in a national newspaper (no matter how much of a pathetic tabloid it has degenerated into). It's controversial with those types and sparks them into discussion and engagement on social media.

Well, Wilson was keeping it quiet until the media barged in. Yes, she'd previously been in a heterosexual relationship in the public eye, but nobody cares about that. In this one, she was just keeping to herself until the SMH forced her to come out. Despite human excrement claiming her previous relationship being public somehow means that every subsequent one has some sort of duty to be public too, she chose differently because she knows the response will be very different.

But how is any prominent figure supposed to treat their same-sex attraction as not being a big deal, when the media sets out to make it a story to set off the soft homophobes? The SMH are keeping this nonsense going by treating it as a big deal.

3. It shows further proof of the sad decay of journalism in Australia. It's clear in both football and political media that journalists see themselves as upholding a noble tradition of holding public figures to account, when in reality most of them are corrupt, bullying knobs who peddle bullish!t to either serve the propaganda agenda of their masters, or to be controversial for the sake of generating clicks. That part is nothing new. But it's come to a new level when a paper is openly patting itself on the back for such sh!tbag behaviour and blaming the people they're bullying for the results of said bullying.

Now of course, the SMH is going to face absolutely no consequences from this. Their subscribers will still loyally stick around, rewarding them for their uselessness, and everyone will have forgotten this in a week. But I hope one day society wakes up to the ugliness of contemporary journalism and thinks of journalists with the sort of disdain they usually give to lawyers. I can't see any serious movement emerging to force the media into more ethical reporting, but maybe public disgust with the profession will pop some of their bubbles.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
When you have to remind people you are 'Independent. Always.', you know you have issues. Pretty much a Daily Mail now, if there were any journalists left with any ounce of dignity they would resign to preserve their self respect.

There should honestly be some more pressure on media organisations to act ethically or else they will have their license revoked. Otherwise it'll be up to the public to attack journalists like they did to that bald w@nker at Ch 7 during the Melb lockdown riots.

Rebel should be able to sue for sexual harassment as well.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I heard that the journos involved in the story are gay themselves is that true? Makes it even more ordinary in that case.

Could be why they put the below line in:

"It is unlikely she would have experienced the sort of discrimination let alone homophobia – subconscious or overt – that sadly still affects so many gay, lesbian and non-hetero people."

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I heard that the journos involved in the story are gay themselves is that true? Makes it even more ordinary in that case.

Could be why they put the below line in:

"It is unlikely she would have experienced the sort of discrimination let alone homophobia – subconscious or overt – that sadly still affects so many gay, lesbian and non-hetero people."
I don't know, but one thing is certain: every sexuality has its share of complete a***holes.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Well it generates clicks so it's just a reflection on society I guess, they're not running these stories for no reason.
Fair enough. I thought our "journalists" had found newer toys to entertain us with. Outing gays is so 20th century.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I addressed this in the OP.
From the OP:
"continuing issues gays, lesbians and bisexuals face often come from people who claim to have no problem with them existing, but do not want themselves or their families to see or hear of same-sex relationships in public. I'm sure you've heard the twits who say "I don't mind gay people, I just don't like how they rub it in our faces!" or some other amusingly-phrased claptrap. I call this soft homophobia.

Those people are still pretty numerous, which is why the story of a celebrity being revealed to be same-sex attracted is still considered "news" and apparently worthy of being printed in a national newspaper (no matter how much of a pathetic tabloid it has degenerated into). It's controversial with those types and sparks them into discussion and engagement on social media."

I haven't seen anything of that sort in Melbourne over our recent past. Whether it's a bigger problem elsewhere in Australia, or in Melbourne within other circles, I honestly don't know.

Homosexuality seems to accepted as a normal sexual preference by society, as the vote for gay marriage indicates. The majority simply don't care if you're gay.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I haven't seen anything of that sort in Melbourne over our recent past. Whether it's a bigger problem elsewhere in Australia, or in Melbourne within other circles, I honestly don't know.

Homosexuality seems to accepted as a normal sexual preference by society, as the vote for gay marriage indicates. The majority simply don't care if you're gay.
I've seen old farts online who've said they don't want children exposed to any depictions of same-sex relationships. But yes, their numbers are dwindling and this attitude will hopefully be totally gone within another decade.

Although, I'd say it's not so much that most conservative nutjobs have learned to be less judgemental, they've just shifted the object of their ire from same-sex attracted people to transgender people. All the same fearmongering and conspiracy theories about gay people from the 90s have been exhumed and repackaged for use in the new front of the Culture War™. I hope that a generation from now, trans acceptance will be at the same place that gay acceptance is currently.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
He still doesnt get it.

and lol at pretending "you have 48 hours to respond" is not a deadline indicating they will publish without consent.
Its not like that's the last newspaper that will ever be published either. No one is holding the presses to wait for the news on who Rebel is banging.

But congratulations flognuts. So much drama for such a little story.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
When you have to remind people you are 'Independent. Always.', you know you have issues. Pretty much a Daily Mail now, if there were any journalists left with any ounce of dignity they would resign to preserve their self respect.

There should honestly be some more pressure on media organisations to act ethically or else they will have their license revoked. Otherwise it'll be up to the public to attack journalists like they did to that bald w@nker at Ch 7 during the Melb lockdown riots.

Rebel should be able to sue for sexual harassment as well.
Just want to clarify, are you equating formal, appropriate questioning of our media providers with an un-provoked, violent attack on a journalist who was actually reporting on news?

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've noticed Fairfax's steady decline into the gutter under the mismanagement of Peter Costello, but this latest episode leaves a particularly bad taste in the mouth. They threatened actress Rebel Wilson, who had previously not chosen to confirm her sexuality publicly, with outing her in the newspaper as being in a same-sex relationship. Human excrement Andrew Convery not only admits this without any hint of shame, but has the gall to write a column whinging about Wilson's decision to subsequently come out on social media, pre-empting the SMHs exclusive scoop.

Human excrement goes on to write that "Considering how bitterly Wilson had complained about poor journalism standards when she successfully sued Woman’s Day for defamation, her choice to ignore our discreet, genuine and honest queries was, in our view, underwhelming", as though the SMH were the ones who had been wronged. It's sanctimonious, self-indulgent tripe. Why would she want everyone to learn of her sexuality from a newspaper gossip column, rather than announcing it on her own terms? She ignored their queries because they were blackmailing her!

You may ask, why does this matter in 2022? We're all cool with gays and bis now, so what's the big deal? And who cares what happens to celebrities? Well, I'll give you three reasons why it matters:

1. As much as Western society may have progressed towards the acceptance of gay, lesbian and bisexual people, homophobia still happens. In his article, human excrement wrote "It is unlikely she would have experienced the sort of discrimination let alone homophobia – subconscious or overt – that sadly still affects so many gay, lesbian and non-hetero people". But how the hell would he know what she has experienced, or what her family situation is?

Because it's still quite a sensitive topic for many people and their understandable fears of mistreatment from society, outing others is ugly, whether they be a celebrity or an average Joe/Jane. It should always be left up to the individual to do on their own terms, not some media sh!tbag posting celebrity clickbait.

2. The continuing issues gays, lesbians and bisexuals face often come from people who claim to have no problem with them existing, but do not want themselves or their families to see or hear of same-sex relationships in public. I'm sure you've heard the twits who say "I don't mind gay people, I just don't like how they rub it in our faces!" or some other amusingly-phrased claptrap. I call this soft homophobia.

Those people are still pretty numerous, which is why the story of a celebrity being revealed to be same-sex attracted is still considered "news" and apparently worthy of being printed in a national newspaper (no matter how much of a pathetic tabloid it has degenerated into). It's controversial with those types and sparks them into discussion and engagement on social media.

Well, Wilson was keeping it quiet until the media barged in. Yes, she'd previously been in a heterosexual relationship in the public eye, but nobody cares about that. In this one, she was just keeping to herself until the SMH forced her to come out. Despite human excrement claiming her previous relationship being public somehow means that every subsequent one has some sort of duty to be public too, she chose differently because she knows the response will be very different.

But how is any prominent figure supposed to treat their same-sex attraction as not being a big deal, when the media sets out to make it a story to set off the soft homophobes? The SMH are keeping this nonsense going by treating it as a big deal.

3. It shows further proof of the sad decay of journalism in Australia. It's clear in both football and political media that journalists see themselves as upholding a noble tradition of holding public figures to account, when in reality most of them are corrupt, bullying knobs who peddle bullish!t to either serve the propaganda agenda of their masters, or to be controversial for the sake of generating clicks. That part is nothing new. But it's come to a new level when a paper is openly patting itself on the back for such sh!tbag behaviour and blaming the people they're bullying for the results of said bullying.

Now of course, the SMH is going to face absolutely no consequences from this. Their subscribers will still loyally stick around, rewarding them for their uselessness, and everyone will have forgotten this in a week. But I hope one day society wakes up to the ugliness of contemporary journalism and thinks of journalists with the sort of disdain they usually give to lawyers. I can't see any serious movement emerging to force the media into more ethical reporting, but maybe public disgust with the profession will pop some of their bubbles.
are you talking about the gutter press or otherwise or else the story of outing someone.?they can be misconstrued entirely. People manipulate the
media all the time so if it comes out or else someone was beat to the punch...

the media and/or the personality involved might want things to be done differently.. random thought...

They’re so mad they’ve written 3 pieces on why it’s perfectly fine to attempt to blackmail someone

Seems bevan shields is really bad at his job
Beven Shields is a total fudkwit.
Not even remotely qualified for the position.
Obviously has the dirt on someone up the top.

That's the problem with an entire corporation being filled top to bottom with corrupt liars who would sell their soul for a step up in pay.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Beven Shields is a total fudkwit.
Not even remotely qualified for the position.
Obviously has the dirt on someone up the top.

That's the problem with an entire corporation being filled top to bottom with corrupt liars who would sell their soul for a step up in pay.
I don't think it's that. I genuinely think there's too much of a talent drain going on in the Australian media landscape that they're getting rapidly promoted for unearthing stories first instead of doing quality journalism, and it's promoting people above their abilities.

They're getting whatever the journalistic equivalent of a wartime promotion and then failing because they're not really officer material.

Back