Prediction The son of Chris Johnson

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Regardless whether you believe this or not the question remains - what have Essendon done to contribute to the development of Johnson which should see them get first rights to drafting him?

I don’t know. You tell me.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Look, the system is what it is.

Almost no one here kicked up a fuss, or made a reasoned argument against the system, about Nick Blakey or Bailey Scott, because they didn’t affect our club.

If you haven’t had a whinge (like I did last year, and the year before) about the system before it affected our club, you really can’t complain about the system now.

Could care less when it doesn’t possibly affect our club, but when it does it’s not fair.

Let's wait and see how he goes for the Chargers before we get ourselves in a knot over who has first digs on him. The club is clearly keeping him close but at the end of the day he has pretty much flown under the radar at this stage in terms of his football credentials. At his age most young metro players with AFL aspirations have been in the TAC Cup system for a year or longer. The fact that he hasn't is probably telling.

Almost no one here kicked up a fuss, or made a reasoned argument against the system, about Nick Blakey or Bailey Scott, because they didn’t affect our club.

If you haven’t had a whinge (like I did last year, and the year before) about the system before it affected our club, you really can’t complain about the system now.

Could care less when it doesn’t possibly affect our club, but when it does it’s not fair.
I don't think the bolded is true. For a lot of the posters on this board, this may well be their first encounter with this wrinkle of the NGA or even NGAs in general. Those of us who keep abreast of these changes are definitely a minority, and saying others can't complain now that they've become aware of this silliness in the system is a bit silly itself.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Source?

Is it less than what we did having Andrews in our academy for one season?
Probably, considering Andrews wasn't even playing AFL for that long. Did Johnson Jnr require a pathway into the AFL facilitated by an academy system? Wouldn't have thought so.

Sounds like you are talking about the AFL in general?

They don’t give a stuff about the rules they put in place, until it affects a big Melbourne Club!

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
My mistake.

Dunno Blakey's background, that comes down purely to eligibility for the academy where the Swans obviously had the foresight to draft him into. At least the Swans put time and money into him after he qualified for the academy though. That's the point. West Coast came out and said on record they hadn't even heard of Charlie Cameron's brother before he was zoned into their NGA. Does that sound like a club that should have first rights to drafting him? What about Collingwood with Quaynor last year, were they training him down in Tassie where he was drafted (?) from? Makes no sense.

We obviously don't agree on this but not sure why you continue to raise father son and Blakey considering the pathways all these players have taken have been different. If you ask me the father son rule shouldn't even exist and the NGA's should be PURELY for those with a non-AFL background OR remote areas with limited pathways into the AFL. The responsible club should also have to put at least a couple of years development into them as well.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Out of curiosity, why did SOC "son of Chris" move to the Oakleigh Charges; did the family move suburbs or was there some other motive, given it is pretty unusual for u/18 players to "change clubs" at that elite u/18 level?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My mistake.

Dunno Blakey's background, that comes down purely to eligibility for the academy where the Swans obviously had the foresight to draft him into. At least the Swans put time and money into him after he qualified for the academy though. That's the point. West Coast came out and said on record they hadn't even heard of Charlie Cameron's brother before he was zoned into their NGA. Does that sound like a club that should have first rights to drafting him? What about Collingwood with Quaynor last year, were they training him down in Tassie where he was drafted (?) from? Makes no sense.

We obviously don't agree on this but not sure why you continue to raise father son and Blakey considering the pathways all these players have taken have been different. If you ask me the father son rule shouldn't even exist and the NGA's should be PURELY for those with a non-AFL background OR remote areas with limited pathways into the AFL. The responsible club should also have to put at least a couple of years development into them as well.

The NGA system isn’t perfect and should be tightened up just as the academy system has been. Hopefully the discounts in the bidding system gets reduced and the loopholes removed for all academy and father son bidding.

I just don’t have an issue with father sons being in academies because it could go both ways.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
My mistake.

I hate to do this, but your commenting on a discussion and saying you don't know about the kids involved?

Nick Blakey is the Son of John Blakey who played 359 games for both North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions and was eligible as a Father Son pick to both North and Lions. His dad John, has been an assistant coach at the Swans for something like 10 to 12 years now. So Nick has grown up in Sydney since he was young, but has been around around elite football since he was born. It most likely he was always going to be involved in elite pathways, where ever he grew up.

Because he grew up in Sydney, he was in the Swans academy zone, so trained by the swans. But each year would spend time training with both North and the Lions as part of their Father Son programs.

Quaynor's not from Tassie.

Maybe you're mistaking Quaynor for Tarryn Thomas who was drafted by North Melbourne from their Tasmanian NGA zone.

Quaynor played for the Oakleigh Chargers in 2017 & 2018. He really started to stand out in the second half of the 2017 TAC cup season and was added to the AFL Academy for 2018.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jake Niall is the only media I have seen write a story being critical of the NGA system, where he mentions Vic clubs spend more time investigating the background and eligibility of every TAC cup kid rather than holding talent camps and bringing kids in to their academies from Indigenous communities and migrant families.

If you're interested you can google and find out where each clubs NGA academy zones are located. NT is divided up between about 4 or 5 clubs, with Essendon having first dibs on indigenous kids from the Tiwi Islands.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I thought one of the reasons for NGA academies was to give the indigenous lads and those of a more genuine multicultural background a chace to stay closer to home?
Not quite.

With the indigenous kids, it was to offer them more support through the pathways. Dealing with moving away from home and family, the requirements of professional sports, etc.

With regards to multicultural kids, NGA's are supposed to help grow the game in communities that might traditionally look to other sports (i.e. soccer), and again offer a pathway that the family/communities might not understand.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I thought one of the reasons for NGA academies was to give the indigenous lads and those of a more genuine multicultural background a chace to stay closer to home?
I think the real reason is to give the Vic club’s a “leg up” because you know, the northern club’s academics were too advantageous for those four clubs that aren’t in the heartland footy states. :rolleyes:

Whatever the criteria for the NGA, Lachie Johnson doesn't meet them. He should have been excluded. Full stop. It's a rort created by the AFL and the Melbourne clubs as co-conspirators.

Back