Prediction The son of Chris Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity, why did SOC "son of Chris" move to the Oakleigh Charges; did the family move suburbs or was there some other motive, given it is pretty unusual for u/18 players to "change clubs" at that elite u/18 level?

Heard they moved house to be closer to their school (which one escapes me now). I'm not sure what the exact rules are regarding residence, but I'd imagine that rules him out of Essendon's NGA anyway, so the above teeth-gnashing might be all for naught.

Last edited:
Heard they moved house to be closer to their school (which one escapes me now). I'm not sure what the exact rules are regarding residence, but I'd imagine that rules him out of Essendon's NGA anyway, so the above teeth-gnashing might be all for naught.
The whole of Vic is divided in to NGA zones, so he’s going to be in one clubs NGA zone.

However I’m unsure if there is a minimum time period a kid has to spend in one Vic clubs NGA academy to qualify as a draft prospect for that club.

The whole of Vic is divided in to NGA zones, so he’s going to be in one clubs NGA zone.

However I’m unsure if there is a minimum time period a kid has to spend in one Vic clubs NGA academy to qualify as a draft prospect for that club.
Just depends which particular suburb they moved to.
oakleigh.png

I can't find any information on what the TAC Cup Talent Regions (i.e. the catchment areas for Chargers vs Cannons) actually are.

When it comes to actually drafting, they must be a "Qualified NGA player" (anyone can join an NGA as long as they're in the zone and 10-14 (inclusive)) - being qualified is the bit that introduces the multicural requirements. Being qualified means you can continue in the NGA until draft age (or for a year afterwards - like the thing with overage players in the northern academies).

It also introduces these rules:
(v) has not at any time been registered with AFL as a Player with any Club;
(vi) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has not entered into a Next Generation Academy Agreement with a Club other than the Club seeking approval of that NGA Player as a Qualified NGA Player under Rule 15.8(d)15.8(d);
(vii) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has been and continues to be domiciled in the relevant part of the Club’s NGA Region from the period after he first entered into a Next Generation Academy Agreement with the relevant Club;
(viii) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has participated in at least 10 matches in the TAC Cup competition, SANFL under 18s Macca’s Cup competition, WAFL under 19s Colts competition or the underage national Australian football championships conducted under the auspices of AFL; and
(ix) is approved in writing by General Counsel under Rule 15.8(d).

(vii) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has been and continues to be domiciled in the relevant part of the Club’s NGA Region from the period after he first entered into a Next Generation Academy Agreement with the relevant Club;

That's pretty average given it's five years in zone for our academies.

(viii) unless otherwise permitted by AFL, has participated in at least 10 matches in the TAC Cup competition, SANFL under 18s Macca’s Cup competition, WAFL under 19s Colts competition or the underage national Australian football championships conducted under the auspices of AFL; and

This is also pretty funny - we're only get to let you take guys good enough to make most of the state's U18s comp.

That's pretty average given it's five years in zone for our academies.

This is also pretty funny - we're only get to let you take guys good enough to make most of the state's U18s comp.
I guess it's to try and stop clubs "hiding" players in bush leagues or where ever.

Does a bidding system apply if a clubs nominates them?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not quite sure what you’re asking.

If you read the rules Jivlain and dlanod posted, clubs can only bid on players registered in NGA’s or Northern Academy that have been nominated by the club they are registered to.

If a player is not nominated by their parent club then any club can draft that kid in the National or Rookie draft without bidding on that kid.

One of the rules for the Northern clubs is that we can only nominate kids who have competed at the National Championships.

So if only 3 Lions academy kids make the Allies team and play at the National Championships, they’re the only academy kids we can nominate.

So if a kid like Lions academy midfielder Wil Martyn doesn’t make the team because Gold Coast, GWS and TAS are staked with more highly rated mids, we can’t nominate him as a potential Academy selection, even though internally we might rate him as genuine draftable talent.

One of the rules for the Northern clubs is that we can only nominate kids who have competed at the National Championships.

So if only 3 Lions academy kids make the Allies team and play at the National Championships, they’re the only academy kids we can nominate.

So if a kid like Lions academy midfielder Wil Martyn doesn’t make the team because Gold Coast, GWS and TAS are staked with more highly rated mids, we can’t nominate him as a potential Academy selection, even though internally we might rate him as genuine draftable talent.

That's not right.

14.4 (d) Club Academy Player Listing Forego Draft Selection
Prior to a Club including an eligible player(s) on its Primary List in accordance
with Rule 14.4(a):
(i) On or before the date determined by the AFL, the Club shall submit a
list of draft eligible Club Academy Players to the AFL using the form
prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 39A it wishes to consider for inclusion
on its Primary List, all of whom must represent either New South Wales
or Queensland, as the case may be, at any underage national football
championships in that year or any other competition as determined by
the AFL, unless determined otherwise by the AFL
;

GC nominated Kwabena Boakye last year despite not playing for the Allies, and the Swans nominated Connor Flanagan, Bailey Stewart and Samuel Wicks. They all made the academy U18 squads. I'm pretty sure we've nominated players in previous years that didn't make the Allies or maybe even the Queensland squads. I'm not as sure about the latter and it's pretty academic because it's no longer state squads, instead it's academy squads so it would be very surprising to nominate a player not in the academy's best 40.

I suspect "unless determined otherwise by the AFL" covers players missing all the rep games due to injury.

That's not right.

14.4 (d) Club Academy Player Listing Forego Draft Selection
Prior to a Club including an eligible player(s) on its Primary List in accordance
with Rule 14.4(a):
(i) On or before the date determined by the AFL, the Club shall submit a
list of draft eligible Club Academy Players to the AFL using the form
prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 39A it wishes to consider for inclusion
on its Primary List, all of whom must represent either New South Wales
or Queensland, as the case may be, at any underage national football
championships in that year or any other competition as determined by
the AFL, unless determined otherwise by the AFL
;

GC nominated Kwabena Boakye last year despite not playing for the Allies, and the Swans nominated Connor Flanagan, Bailey Stewart and Samuel Wicks. They all made the academy U18 squads. I'm pretty sure we've nominated players in previous years that didn't make the Allies or maybe even the Queensland squads. I'm not as sure about the latter and it's pretty academic because it's no longer state squads, instead it's academy squads so it would be very surprising to nominate a player not in the academy's best 40.

I suspect "unless determined otherwise by the AFL" covers players missing all the rep games due to injury.

Mmmm I was going off what Twomey has written since the Allies were introduced.

Not disputing the rules you’ve linked, as obviously if Northern clubs did it last draft with kids who didn’t make the Allies squad, it’s allowed.

Mmmm I was going off what Twomey has written since the Allies were introduced.

Not disputing the rules you’ve linked, as obviously if Northern clubs did it last draft with kids who didn’t make the Allies squad, it’s allowed.

Pretty sure Twomey is wrong on this unless the rule has changed in the off-season, which would surprise me. Actually, looking at the latest AFL Rules the rule I quoted has been removed completely. Now it's just living in the academy region for five years.

2016 was the year I was thinking of where we nominated Nate Dennis and William Fletcher who weren't in the Allies. Similarly GC nominated three (Esam, Marsden and Watson), GWS nominated and took Tiziani, and the Swans nominated a bunch of guys who weren't even in the NSW/ACT squad (Baron-Hay, Hebron, McFadden, Reinhard, Wilson).

Pretty sure Twomey is wrong on this unless the rule has changed in the off-season, which would surprise me. Actually, looking at the latest AFL Rules the rule I quoted has been removed completely. Now it's just living in the academy region for five years.

2016 was the year I was thinking of where we nominated Nate Dennis and William Fletcher who weren't in the Allies. Similarly GC nominated three (Esam, Marsden and Watson), GWS nominated and took Tiziani, and the Swans nominated a bunch of guys who weren't even in the NSW/ACT squad (Baron-Hay, Hebron, McFadden, Reinhard, Wilson).
I know heading in to last years draft Twomey said Northern clubs could only nominate kids who played in the National Championships, and I positive the same was said the year before.

I know the last two years the Lions have only nominated kids who played in the U18 champs.

Lachie is a tough little nugget, expect a late bid though because of his size and 4 quarter impact.
When you say “little”, are you talking Lewey Taylor small or Kysiah Pickett small?

Assuming we keep our current draft picks, (which will make me an ass with trader bob, aka David Noble, at the helm) we might have to hope he slips through to the rookie draft. I’m hoping that the two third round picks we currently hold will be enough currency to either package together to move up in the draft, or enough currency to match bids on a couple of academy kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you say “little”, are you talking Lewey Taylor small or Kysiah Pickett small?

Assuming we keep our current draft picks, (which will make me an ass with trader bob, aka David Noble, at the helm) we might have to hope he slips through to the rookie draft. I’m hoping that the two third round picks we currently hold will be enough currency to either package together to move up in the draft, or enough currency to match bids on a couple of academy kids.
Somewhere between the two but he is a touch slower than both, very natural footballer and has a fend off to rival Dusty.

I believe he will slip down unless he starts kicking bags or getting close to 30 touches in a few games. At this stage he doesnt kick enough goals or get enough of the ball.

Somewhere between the two but he is a touch slower than both, very natural footballer and has a fend off to rival Dusty.

I believe he will slip down unless he starts kicking bags or getting close to 30 touches in a few games. At this stage he doesnt kick enough goals or get enough of the ball.
hmm at that size he would need Zorko like speed to make it.

I hate to do this, but your commenting on a discussion and saying you don't know about the kids involved?

Nick Blakey is the Son of John Blakey who played 359 games for both North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions and was eligible as a Father Son pick to both North and Lions. His dad John, has been an assistant coach at the Swans for something like 10 to 12 years now. So Nick has grown up in Sydney since he was young, but has been around around elite football since he was born. It most likely he was always going to be involved in elite pathways, where ever he grew up.

Because he grew up in Sydney, he was in the Swans academy zone, so trained by the swans. But each year would spend time training with both North and the Lions as part of their Father Son programs.

Quaynor's not from Tassie.

Maybe you're mistaking Quaynor for Tarryn Thomas who was drafted by North Melbourne from their Tasmanian NGA zone.

Quaynor played for the Oakleigh Chargers in 2017 & 2018. He really started to stand out in the second half of the 2017 TAC cup season and was added to the AFL Academy for 2018.
John Blakey played for Fitzroy and North Melbourne. He never played for the Brisbane Lions.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back