Radio The Sounding Board with Craig Hutchison & Damian Barrett (Podcast)

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 3 has been going on for a while, anyone listen to all the segments? I'd prefer if they just chucked them all in on one and waffled for an hour. I only listen to the questions, not really damo's dish etc.

How many times can they go to the well before repeating stories, they should do a bit of proper AFL talk more IMO...

Season 3 has been going on for a while, anyone listen to all the segments? I'd prefer if they just chucked them all in on one and waffled for an hour. I only listen to the questions, not really damo's dish etc.

How many times can they go to the well before repeating stories, they should do a bit of proper AFL talk more IMO...

I usually listen to all the segments, but it's more a "completeness" thing rather than because I care what Damo is reading/watching/cooking or what businesses Hutchy admires.

I really enjoy the main show and the questions, though.

I'd have to go back to the first episode, but I think they made a point of stressing that it's not an AFL podcast - that being said, footy will be the main talking point. As a former journo and a media nerd, it's one of the best pods going around.

I'd have to go back to the first episode, but I think they made a point of stressing that it's not an AFL podcast - that being said, footy will be the main talking point. As a former journo and a media nerd, it's one of the best pods going around.
Yeah, they avoid AFL onfield analysis, but I don’t want them to, I rate both of their views on the game .
Also they get on a good tangent or subject, but Damo pulls it back to the run sheet and “parks” the issue for another sounding board episode that never comes

Yeah, they avoid AFL onfield analysis, but I don’t want them to, I rate both of their views on the game .
Also they get on a good tangent or subject, but Damo pulls it back to the run sheet and “parks” the issue for another sounding board episode that never comes

Barrett always appears to defer to those 'more qualified' when it comes to on-field analysis, and my personal view is that more focus on on-field analysis detracts from the analysis of how a media cycle functions, and the ins and outs of it.

My favourite episodes are when they lift the lid on how they go about getting their stories, and whether their actions would be considered ethical etc. Hutchy's Koschitzke yarn when he got sued is about as good as it gets. Hutchy and Damo would both have strong positions regarding on-field analysis, but it's not like those guys don't have other forums to talk about them.

As far as uncovering the inner workings of the media - especially in sport - it doesn't get much better.

Slowly losing interest in this podcast.

Hutchy becoming more and more conflicted with his opinion. He has gone from arguing that Cricket behind a paywall is fine and no real loss to the game (noting SEN are lobbying very heavily for the radio rights) because everyone has foxtel. Then in the very next week saying that fox only has a 30% penetration rate and have never made a star on its own.

Damo’s fawning for Hutchy is annoying also and their portrayal of Damo as someone who is really conservative and only goes with something has been done to death. Damo is everything that he himself complains about an over reactor, comments on other media personalities and a story stealer. He didn’t used to be but has been drinking the kool-aid for the last 2-3 years

Slowly losing interest in this podcast.

Hutchy becoming more and more conflicted with his opinion. He has gone from arguing that Cricket behind a paywall is fine and no real loss to the game (noting SEN are lobbying very heavily for the radio rights) because everyone has foxtel. Then in the very next week saying that fox only has a 30% penetration rate and have never made a star on its own.

Damo’s fawning for Hutchy is annoying also and their portrayal of Damo as someone who is really conservative and only goes with something has been done to death. Damo is everything that he himself complains about an over reactor, comments on other media personalities and a story stealer. He didn’t used to be but has been drinking the kool-aid for the last 2-3 years

Re the first point, I think you're making a bit of a tenuous link between two unrelated statements. Hutchy is clearly content with paywalls and the idea of people having to pay to access media services (online news, Foxtel etc.). It's Barrett that's the one who tries to act the "man of the people", always reminding Hutchy that most people can't afford/don't have Foxtel and that the penetration rate consequently isn't too high. I think the Foxtel never having made a star on its own thing was just him thinking out aloud rather than a representation of a shift in position on his part.

The thing that is most annoying to me about the podcasts these days (and surely I can't be the only one) is Hutchy's unending fascination with James Brayshaw and his commentary movements. The point that Brayshaw seems to have engineered for himself a cushy media arrangement was interesting at first, but surely we all get it by now. Do we really need weekly updates?

Re the first point, I think you're making a bit of a tenuous link between two unrelated statements. Hutchy is clearly content with paywalls and the idea of people having to pay to access media services (online news, Foxtel etc.). It's Barrett that's the one who tries to act the "man of the people", always reminding Hutchy that most people can't afford/don't have Foxtel and that the penetration rate consequently isn't too high. I think the Foxtel never having made a star on its own thing was just him thinking out aloud rather than a representation of a shift in position on his part.

The thing that is most annoying to me about the podcasts these days (and surely I can't be the only one) is Hutchy's unending fascination with James Brayshaw and his commentary movements. The point that Brayshaw seems to have engineered for himself a cushy media arrangement was interesting at first, but surely we all get it by now. Do we really need weekly updates?

Fair argument my I am over reaching but my over arching point is that his opinion is severely conflicted by his business ventures. Rarely if ever will have a go at the AFL HO, Cricket Australia and his fawning over Garry and Tim when they rate 2.9 etc is pretty ridiculous.

And yes I ageee with you on your second point I love JB more than many but the timing of him leaving the box on Saturday afternoon shouldn’t take up 5-10 of the weekly pod.

Yes, Hutchy is getting harder to listen to since he sold his soul

If he hadn't already done so in recent years, he's definitely sold out now. He reckons everything is FANTASTIC about the game, including the China experiment, etc, etc; he even the Ross Lyon press conference was great. I reckon Barrett sometimes looks at him in disbelief. He tries to disguise his "suck-holeness" by saying that he's a glass half-full person, and Damien, et al, are negative and cynical.

It's hard to believe he's the same hard nose story-breaker of years gone by

This was a brilliant podcast in its first year and occasionally still sparkles when Hutchy can be bothered or has an axe to grind.

But his arrogance and vested interests are beginning to grate.

If you wanted to get properly paralytic, play a drinking game regarding the words 'content' and 'consumption'.

This has definitely run its course. So bloody repetitive these days, it's almost as if they think they're talking to a brand new audience each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as it's funny cos it annoys purple... I could do without Hutchy bringing up Robbo every single week...

Agree that the first season was fantastic, it's gone away from the interesting behind the scenes view that it was IMO

This was a good episode I thought because they analysed the election and also football issues in more depth

I’m over Spin City, I’m over the inner workings of the media and the way journalists and their bosses operate,
they’ve gone over all that ground now after 3.5 years
Keep analysing issues in footy and politics and even America... it’s annoying how they steer clear of afl a bit

Agree. I would listen to this again if they talked about footy. Don’t give a flying * what they think about anything else.

if I wanted to hear damo Barrett's thoughts on footy I could tune into one of the other 7000 outlets he's got

This is a media podcast and should stay that way
I agree, should have clarified I meant footy media. I don't care what they think about politics, America, lifestyle TV etc etc...

Podcast just proves why people think Damo is a knob.

Also, Hutchy mentioned death taxes about 4 times when discussing the election, just further proof people believe far too much they see on social media.

What I find most annoying about this Podcast is when they bring up a fairly complicated big issue and Damo says 'we like to tackle the big issues head on here on the Sounding Board'.

He then dances around giving an opinion. Hutchy is not too bad

Ridiculously good at spin city, I've only heard him not being able to complete it once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back