Club History The Sth Melb/Sydney Swans history thread: 150 years 1874 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for my confusion I only asked about your situation to the club and position at the time of the 'relocation' due to you being 'against' the keep South at South movement.
You say you were playing Under 19's at the time however in the introduction thread you said you played Under 19's in 1977 and 1978, that was 5 years before the 'relocation'..
I was just trying to get some perspective to as why you would be against keeping our club in South Melbourne.

And I respectfully disagree to you claiming the 2 Premierships being the result of the 'relocation', maybe we would have won 6 in a row if we stayed and if the VFL gave us the money we were owed, there isn't a better area in Victoria for a sporting complex especially a football oval than Lakeside oval that was obviously recognized by the Vic government who spent Millions redeveloping the area.. Interesting that the Saints and the AFL are now wanting to pour Millions into the Junction Oval, another slap in the face but one I welcome.
Its refreshing having an older poster on here that I can be in complete disagreeance with on certain topics and yet still hold a civil conversation with respecting each others views. Love your work.

Baja,

As do I with your comments.

As I said before, our club is made up of all sorts of people of different ages, from different backgrounds & I am happy to call all of them fellow supporters. That is what makes us a great club...

We lived through a traumatic period but have combined two cities, one team.. 2005 Run Through for the Grand Final

Amazing reading folks, thankyou, for me I was a 16year growing up in the Goulburn Valley, my family is multi generational South supporters,(can trace it almost back to actual start up of the club) all I can remember is relying on what the papers would report and how volatile the whole KSAS, pro Sydney move had become,
As a kid all I wanted was the the Red n White playing, regardless where, as I came to the conclusion that if we didn't go to Sydney the VFL would have folded us(read Fitzroy) so I would just sit and hope our club would kick on, I really didn't care where it played,
My mates would ask at school who you Guna follow when South moves to Sydney? My blunt response was if they're wearing Red n White then that's my team, no question, you know (I'm late 40s) I still see a few school mates and they all say to this day, when we won in 2005 they all remembered me and were happy that I got the chance to see my team finally win, after all the years of pain and almost losing them on more than 1 occasion.
As it turns out my 3 brothers and I all have kids, and yep all follow the Swans, it is literally in the Blood, being at the 2005 GF with two of my bros and my 2 kids will be a long lasting memory,
On our way home we passed by to tell our dad who sadly never got to see a Swans premiership, he saw the 1945 blood bath, would loved him to have been alive to see it.
My Dad, collected back in his day "cigarette" cards, I still have them, mainly Swans players, these are from 1930s
Being a Swan is generational, we have one amazing club we follow,
Thanks for memories everyone, have read every post and enjoyed thoroughly.

I honestly believe, that each & everyone had the club at heart in their decision to do one or the other, but unfortunately during this upheaval, I watched long time South Melbourne supporters walk away from the club. That was the greatest disappointment in my humble opinion. To see people who loved the club, move across to other Victorian clubs rather than try to stay with the club. History will judge those that made the decisions & it is for history to judge all of us..

This point really hits home with me.

I watched my father who was deeply involved with the club, whos Dad, my Grandad played who for us and Victoria totally turn his back on the club and football altogether, seriously without a lie it took years off his life.
He would switch off the TV or spit in detest at every Swans related news that came on the TV or radio, this coming from a generational Swans supporter and club employee whose family supported the club since the beginning. It swayed my support such was the emotion that came from him but the love of the club and colours and my families history kept me straight, he didn't even watch the 2005 Grand Final and didn't care about the outcome and died a few years later, that speaks volumes of the effect the relocation had on some older South Melbourne supporters.

Not enough likes in BF to thank the posters above. What the old South crowd went through is something none of us would ever wish see again. For my part I was too young to process what relocation meant. I have a vague nemory of a small band of supporters on death watch at the club on the news...but events just seemed to sweep all of that away.

As a Sydney boy I've always loved meeting old school supporters from around the country. Down in Tassie in 2012 I met a couple from Devonport who hadn't seen their team in a decade. Really makes me proud thinking how the current club is still in people's lives agsinst all the odds.

I'm sometimes asked what my favorite moment following the Swans has been and I dont even hesitate to name the semi vs Geel in 2005. Not because it was the best game in our clubs history or even close to its most important one. ..the reason I love that game is because when it ended I found myself just grabbing complete strangers and celebrating and in particular I met an elderly gent in my row who was weeping. He was up from Melb and told me hadn't followed the club since relocation. Couldn't bear it. But he'd come to Sydney to support the boys in 05 because something just clicked and he knew the time was right. And what he saw just brought him to tears of joy..

I just love this club.

This point really hits home with me.

I watched my father who was deeply involved with the club, whos Dad, my Grandad played who for us and Victoria totally turn his back on the club and football altogether, seriously without a lie it took years off his life.
He would switch off the TV or spit in detest at every Swans related news that came on the TV or radio, this coming from a generational Swans supporter and club employee whose family supported the club since the beginning. It swayed my support such was the emotion that came from him but the love of the club and colours and my families history kept me straight, he didn't even watch the 2005 Grand Final and didn't care about the outcome and died a few years later, that speaks volumes of the effect the relocation had on some older South Melbourne supporters.

I'm loving this thread, in particular Ozmale62's contributions but this story is really shows just how important our club is/was to some.

I also come from a long line of swans supporters dating back to the clubs creation. I was only 2 when we relocated but fortunately my family stuck by the club. The only time my old man considered no longer supporting the club was when there was talk in the late 80's (early 90's maybe) of changing the club's colours, which is understandable. There's only so much you can change before the clubs identity is gone.

In recent years I think the club's done a brilliant job of honouring our history and embracing the Melbourne based supporters and it's great to see the new generation of little swans coming along to games decked out in the red and white.

Not enough likes in BF to thank the posters above. What the old South crowd went through is something none of us would ever wish see again. For my part I was too young to process what relocation meant. I have a vague nemory of a small band of supporters on death watch at the club on the news...but events just seemed to sweep all of that away.

As a Sydney boy I've always loved meeting old school supporters from around the country. Down in Tassie in 2012 I met a couple from Devonport who hadn't seen their team in a decade. Really makes me proud thinking how the current club is still in people's lives agsinst all the odds.

I'm sometimes asked what my favorite moment following the Swans has been and I dont even hesitate to name the semi vs Geel in 2005. Not because it was the best game in our clubs history or even close to its most important one. ..the reason I love that game is because when it ended I found myself just grabbing complete strangers and celebrating and in particular I met an elderly gent in my row who was weeping. He was up from Melb and told me hadn't followed the club since relocation. Couldn't bear it. But he'd come to Sydney to support the boys in 05 because something just clicked and he knew the time was right. And what he saw just brought him to tears of joy..

I just love this club.

I only got the 05 prelim not he granny, but i was there alone and you end up with other swans fans hugging you and chatting and celebrating like long lost pals, maybe its not unique to our club, but felt that way, especially as we pushed through to that long awaited flag

I have respect for anyone who supported this side prior to like 96 (nothing against new fans either) but if you sat through the shithouse days in sydney then seeing this current side if a real treat

That is not to even mention the super duper respect for old south fans. Being born in 83 didnt get to see us as south, but like to think id still follow the side, but people who saw their club move especially in what was still a suburban club. I just hope the recent success has helped them, i love listening to people with stories of the history of this great club

Thats why i find some comments from opposition fans appalling, try to call it a soul less franchise or something, bull s**t

I have a lot to tell about all this in the coming weeks, but one thing I loved was being part of the cheer squad in the 70's (cheer leader infact) and making the race on a Friday night in the rooms and listening to the great Norm Smith pumping up the players the night before a game, fair dinkum you would have run through a brick wall for him. His effort to get that side in to a Semi in 70 was unbelievable

Sorry Ozmale62 I cant wait for your answer its past my bedtime lol...

The only Swans people who were all for the move to Sydney were the likes of Ricky Quade and other high profile players, senior trainers and certain club personal as they were promised their pockets would be lined with gold (Im assuming you as no true South supporter was all for it), the VFL reneged on all their promises and the club went dry, I said cop that flogs when it failed! But my love of the club never wavered and I felt bad for feeling like that slowly coming around to the whole move, what choice did I have...
NO true South Melbourne person was against the KSAS movement I was a face of the movement, snowy haired kid in tears in all my Swans gear on the front page of the paper, my tears were genuine and my heart was broken., it went to the vote and we won, then the VFL changed the goal posts.
A few years before they tried to move the Fitzroy Lions but that back fired when the club rallied and stood up as did the rest of the comp so the VFL, in particular Alan Aylett the then VFL president, former North Melbourne president tried another tack, he promised all the clubs a huge windfall, he promised people from our club all the riches in Sydney 9 of the clubs fell for it, a few thinking it was us or them the only clubs that didn't were Collingwood and Hawthorn, much respect.(still hate them both lol)
You state our club was financially in trouble like we had no choice, the reason for that was that the VFL in particular Alan Aylett said we needed to upgrade the Lakeside oval, even though it was far from the worst in the league and the worst bit was we were fine financially however the VFL held back our annual payment, sorry I cant think of the word it starts with 'I' the sum of $400,000 (huge money back then) that would have put us on par with any other club and our financial issues solved, we had sponsors waiting in the wings ready to sign..
Sorry but we were railroaded for the better of the comp and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth still today, I mean no disrespect to our loyal Sydney folk.
Alan Aylett in his book says this exactly and is proud and gloats about his achievement its his legacy he even tried again with North to Tassie but they marched him out of the club, hypocrites! Tas or a likeminded poster might tell you more about that.

Don't get me wrong Im well over it and I still love the club and I really do enjoy all your input and every post on this board but I am totally bemused at this part of your post considering your history.

sorry for the late reply to this baja but according to my old man we were locked out of the Ground improvement fund years before, the very fund used by 11 other teams to improve their ground's. Is this the annual payment your talking about?

because according to my old man as a result our share of the league fund was $500,000 in 1981. if its not then theres another half million dollars those scumbags stole from our club.

Not to mention the tv exec's and companies that brought south memberships in the lead up to the meeting even mates of Aylett were caught buying south memberships all of who (especially murdoch and ten board members) were in favour of the move.

and the SOB's STILL lost the vote.

I have a lot to tell about all this in the coming weeks, but one thing I loved was being part of the cheer squad in the 70's (cheer leader infact) and making the race on a Friday night in the rooms and listening to the great Norm Smith pumping up the players the night before a game, fair dinkum you would have run through a brick wall for him. His effort to get that side in to a Semi in 70 was unbelievable

I heard you were an ugly version of Joffa? Is that true?

sorry for the late reply to this baja but according to my old man we were locked out of the Ground improvement fund years before, the very fund used by 11 other teams to improve their ground's. Is this the annual payment your talking about?

because according to my old man as a result our share of the league fund was $500,000 in 1981. if its not then theres another half million dollars those scumbags stole from our club.

Not to mention the tv exec's and companies that brought south memberships in the lead up to the meeting even mates of Aylett were caught buying south memberships all of who (especially murdoch and ten board members) were in favour of the move.

and the SOB's STILL lost the vote.

Mate Im not gonna pretend I know it all I was a kid but I know for sure we were railroaded and treated unfairly, in todays climate it could be even argued unlawfully.

This is the history of my great-Uncle (my dad's uncle). I never knew him, but my parents went to his funeral in the 90's. They used to go and watch him play even though my dad was a pies supporter.

I had been told my dad had an uncle who played footy for someone. But never knew for sure who, until I did some research.
"Liked to have 6 beers before each game" yeah that seems to be a family thing, my dad and my uncles all liked the beer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the history of my great-Uncle (my dad's uncle). I never knew him, but my parents went to his funeral in the 90's. They used to go and watch him play even though my dad was a pies supporter.

I had been told my dad had an uncle who played footy for someone. But never knew for sure who, until I did some research.
"Liked to have 6 beers before each game" yeah that seems to be a family thing, my dad and my uncles all liked the beer.

A bit of a lad....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I like that he had a very specific number though. More of a pre-game ritual than a health concern 😁

I grew up in Launceston, not that far from York Park, so I became a North Launceston supporter as a young fella.

I remember the first three years I followed the Robins they had little success - I think they won 12 games from 69-71.

In 1972 in an attempt to turn the club around, they did some serious recruiting, including a new coach from the VFL - South Melbourne's Tony Haenen.

Tony got the club into the finals in all three years, including losing to the all-conquering Scottsdale in the 73 Grand Final.

I can't recall why he didn't continue on - in any case he was replaced by another VFL sourced coach - Peter Daniel from Essendon, who then led North to a period of great success.

Many only remember the Peter Daniel years, but I for one have great respect for Tony's period as coach, he turned around a really battling club and laid the foundation for what was to come.

Sadly Tony Haenen passed away about 5 years ago.

I grew up in Launceston, not that far from York Park, so I became a North Launceston supporter as a young fella.

I remember the first three years I followed the Robins they had little success - I think they won 12 games from 69-71.

In 1972 in an attempt to turn the club around, they did some serious recruiting, including a new coach from the VFL - South Melbourne's Tony Haenen.

Tony got the club into the finals in all three years, including losing to the all-conquering Scottsdale in the 73 Grand Final.

I can't recall why he didn't continue on - in any case he was replaced by another VFL sourced coach - Peter Daniel from Essendon, who then led North to a period of great success.

Many only remember the Peter Daniel years, but I for one have great respect for Tony's period as coach, he turned around a really battling club and laid the foundation for what was to come.

Sadly Tony Haenen passed away about 5 years ago.
He was a great man , at Port Melbourne his nickname was 6 million dollar man , he could do anything.

Never not worth mentioning - 15 years this week since this day.

I not only get infested with goosebumps every time I watch it but I shed a tear of joy every single time.

Me too.

There are some brilliant calls of that moment, but I think that one is the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back