Astronomy The Space Gallery - Images of and about space

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Really like this one of the galaxy cluster MACS J0717

potw1611a.jpg

UY_Scuti_zoomed_in%2C_Rutherford_Observatory%2C_07_September_2014.jpeg

That bright orange star, is the largest known star in our known universe to date.. We dont really know at this point in time how far and what direction space expands however there are some estimated 100,000+ galaxies out there

UY Scuti is a bright red supergiant and pulsating variable star in the constellation Scutum. It is a current and leading candidate for being the largest known star by radius and is also one of the most luminous of its kind

n the summer of 2012, astronomers from the Very Large Telescope in the Atacama Desert in Chile measured the parameters of three supergiants near the Galactic Center region:[4] UY Scuti, AH Scorpii, and KW Sagittarii. They determined that all three stars are over 1,000 times bigger than the Sun, making them some of the largest stars known. The stars' sizes were defined using the Rosseland Radius, the location at which the optical depth is 2/3.[14]

UY Scuti was found to be the largest of the three stars measured, at 1,708 ± 192 R☉. This makes the star's radius the largest-known of any star and approximately 1.7 times the size of the famous Betelgeuse. The star is so immense that if the Earth were the size of an 20-centimetre (7.9-inch) beach ball, the diameter of Jupiter would be about 2.1 m (7 ft), the Sun would be about 22 m (73 ft) in diameter (around the height of a 7-story office building), while UY Scuti would have a diameter of 38,000 m (125,000 ft), over four times the height of Mount Everest.[citation needed]

In simpler terms, a hypothetical object travelling at the speed of light would take about seven hours to travel around UY Scuti, whereas it would take 14.5 seconds to circle the Sun.[15]

Now, if you wanted to try getting your head around the size of UY Scuti, try this...

This one has always been my favorite

o-HUBBLE-UV-900.jpg

10,000 galaxies in an area of the sky about the size of grain of sand held at arms length.

Puts things in perspective.

That's gorgeous. If there's no alien life, it's a fantastic waste of space.

This one has always been my favorite

o-HUBBLE-UV-900.jpg

10,000 galaxies in an area of the sky about the size of grain of sand held at arms length.

Puts things in perspective.
The back story on this pic is amazing.

They literally focused Hubble on what looked like "black dead space" for 23 full days and that is what it found.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eta Carinae is a star that astronomers believe will go supernova very soon. It might already have done so!

During an event known as The Great Eruption, in the mid 19th century, it brightened to become second only to Sirius before dimming again. During tis event it shed huge amounts of its mass. These have become known as the Homunculus nebula. Hubble captured a brilliant image:

2016-11-20-18-31-34-729868208.jpg

isn't the Webb sensitive to the IR?

So no more spectacular images in the optical as Hubble gives us.

Mostly true. Webb is primarily IR, but still gets a bit of visible spectrum..reds mostly, but also some yellows). That said, most of the images from Hubble are altered/enhanced to make the different bits stand out more (sorry to break it to you, but the real images we get from space just aren't that colorful) anyway, so I dare say they can/will do the same with Webb.

Even if they don't, it's ability to do things like identify water in exoplanet atmospheres ( and other stuff like chlorofluorocarbons) will be exciting enough.

The scary part about Webb however is that they're putting it a fair way out in space ( L2...well beyond the moon) so if there are any issues we're highly unlikely we'll be able to repair it like we needed to do with Hubble.

Last edited:
Mostly true. Webb is primarily IR, but still gets a bit of visible spectrum..reds mostly, but also some yellows). That said, most of the images from Hubble are altered/enhanced to make the different bits stand out more (sorry to break it to you, but the real images we get from space just aren't that colorful) anyway, so I dare say they can/will do the same with Webb.

Even if they don't, it's ability to do things like identify water in exoplanet atmospheres ( and other stuff chlorofluorocarbons) will be exciting enough.

The scary part about Webb however is that they're putting it a fair way out in space ( L2...well beyond the moon) so if there are any issues we're highly unlikely we'll be able to repair it like we needed to do with Hubble.

Oh I know the images are 'altered'.

oh and off topic: If I were I a super-villain, my secret base would be at L3.

Oh I know the images are 'altered'.

oh and off topic: If I were I a super-villain, my secret base would be at L3.

BOOOOOORING

Put it somewhere people can see it, like L1 2 4 or 5, not hide it away. Remember you have to inspire people everyday... with fear!

BOOOOOORING

Put it somewhere people can see it, like L1 2 4 or 5, not hide it away. Remember you have to inspire people everyday... with fear!

Indeed, you want them to look up and say "that's not a moon!"

Indeed, you want them to look up and say "that's not a moon!"

"Did you have to make the space station look like a giant balls and dick?"

"I want them to know I'm going to f*** them".

1024px-Pillars_of_creation_2014_HST_WFC3-UVIS_full-res_denoised.jpg

Pillars of Creation. Hubbles best work IMO.

few others with galaxies merging to form larger galaxies are also a standout.
The mice galaxies are a favourite of mine in that regard.

800px-Tarantula_Nebula.jpg
This is the tarantula nebula in the Large Megallanic Cloud, the most active star forming region in the local group. At the centre of the nebula and image you can see the cluster R136 which is home to the most massive star currently known, a bright blue hypergiant and possible LBV named R136a. Several other stars in this cluster are also potentially above 200 solar masses (eta carinae is likely 100-150 for the primary and 50-80 for the secondary which puts it into some perspective). These are the aptly named R136b and R136c. These three stars are located in the very centre of the cluster. Towards the upper right hand corner you can see another cluster named hodge 301.

This nebula is also famous for being the location of the most recent visible supernova, SN1987a (being the first one spotted in 1987). It broke a few common misconceptions about supernovae as it was thought that only red super(hyper)giants could explode (type II), but the progenitor (sandulaek -69°202) was found to be a blue supergiant. Now of course we know that all types of supergiants can explode (blue, yellow and red) as type Ib/c (generally wolf rayet stars with no hydrogen) through to II-P.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back