Astronomy The Space Gallery - Images of and about space

Remove this Banner Ad

I read somewhere that the two galaxies could intersect and morph without any astral bodies actually colliding with each other.

Gives you a humbling perspective on the vastness of the space between all this matter.

I read somewhere that the two galaxies could intersect and morph without any astral bodies actually colliding with each other.

Gives you a humbling perspective on the vastness of the space between all this matter.
It is very difficult for the human mind to grasp the vastness of space.
A million seconds is almost 12 days. A billion seconds is 31.7 years. Distances in space are many orders of magnitude greater than that.

Rare R5519 ‘Ring of Fire’ galaxy discovered 11 billion lightyears away
Astronomers have discovered what might be the first galaxy to form after a violent collision of two others, and it could help explain how we got here too.
Australian astronomers have looked back in time to photograph a rare “ring of fire” galaxy as it looked 11 billion years ago.
The galaxy is roughly the same density as our own Milky Way and appears circular with a hole in the middle, with the astronomers saying it likely formed after two other galaxies collided.
The new galaxy has been dubbed R5519 and sits 11 billion lightyears away from Earth.
The giant “hole” at the centre of the galaxy has a diameter scientists say is two billion times the distance between the Earth and the Sun (which is roughly 151 million kilometres).
That’s also three million times bigger than the first supermassive black hole caught on camera last year.
The black hole was located in the Messier 87 galaxy.

Rare R5519 ‘Ring of Fire’ galaxy discovered 11 billion lightyears away
Astronomers have discovered what might be the first galaxy to form after a violent collision of two others, and it could help explain how we got here too.
Australian astronomers have looked back in time to photograph a rare “ring of fire” galaxy as it looked 11 billion years ago.
The galaxy is roughly the same density as our own Milky Way and appears circular with a hole in the middle, with the astronomers saying it likely formed after two other galaxies collided.
The new galaxy has been dubbed R5519 and sits 11 billion lightyears away from Earth.
The giant “hole” at the centre of the galaxy has a diameter scientists say is two billion times the distance between the Earth and the Sun (which is roughly 151 million kilometres).
That’s also three million times bigger than the first supermassive black hole caught on camera last year.
The black hole was located in the Messier 87 galaxy.

Brain now fried. Needs replacing.

Brain now fried. Needs replacing.
Don't think, in our time anyway, that we will discover how bloody big the universe is. No wonder our brains are fried thinking about it.
No I wont think about it, will just have a Dewar's instead LOL

Don't think, in our time anyway, that we will discover how bloody big the universe is. No wonder our brains are fried thinking about it.
No I wont think about it, will just have a Dewar's instead LOL
I’ve never quite grasped the idea that space is infinite, and whether or not matter is also infinite.

If space and matter are infinite then it doesn’t matter if their are alternate universes where I’m on a Samsung instead of an iPhone - EVERYTHING could happen in this universe anyway. I think. I don’t know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back