Food & Drink The Spirits & Vino thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Go on then , flavours!

Good for a g and t or more for martini/mixes?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I had a G&T and felt that was about right. Some lovely citrus flavours coming through as one would expect with Australian finger limes and the green tree ants.

I had a G&T and felt that was about right. Some lovely citrus flavours coming through as one would expect with Australian finger limes and the green tree ants.
Can you taste the ants?

I've done it!

I did some research. There's another SA distillery, Applewood, that sells a version too - although theirs is $120 + $15 shipping for a 500ml bottle. It's a limited release of 300 bottles. The whole limited release thing would put me off drinking it I think.

Now I just have to wait.

capitonic_700x.png

The Applewood people recommend this - it's $4.99 a bottle

"Capi Tonic 750ml
We absolutely adore this tonic! So much so that we serve it for everyone who visits our distillery in Gumeracha. Crafted locally in Victoria, this tonic is a more subdued style that allows our Gin to shine in a G&T whilst not detracting from the refreshing hit of lemon, lime, orange and natural quinine that all great tonic is known for. This is an Australian tonic for Australian gin - and where 50% to 75% of your G&T is tonic, better make it a bloody good one!"

I've done it!

I did some research. There's another SA distillery, Applewood, that sells a version too - although theirs is $120 + $15 shipping for a 500ml bottle. It's a limited release of 300 bottles. The whole limited release thing would put me off drinking it I think.

Now I just have to wait.
I expect a full review!

If you can still see that is...

I've done it!

Now I just have to wait.
I was looking at Applewood tonight as well!!
Possibly because I was hoping to find a cheaper green ant gin I could offer to the less favourite visitors:cool::oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly because I was hoping to find a cheaper green ant gin I could offer to the less favourite visitors:cool::oops:
I learned a trick with Applewood today. If you go through the checkout process ... but don't check out... they'll send you a code for free shipping. $15 saved!
Now I feel I should break into a rendition of "Hotel California"...

Just give them the ants..

Overheard in my office today (we share an office with an alcohol distributor) that there are 70 bottles of champagne in storage, that they don't know what to do with.

24 magnums
6 jeraboam (sp?)

Tempted to 'accidentally' find them and have a couple of swigs.

If there's any left over I may send some down for you lot :cool:

Overheard in my office today (we share an office with an alcohol distributor) that there are 70 bottles of champagne in storage, that they don't know what to do with.

24 magnums
6 jeraboam (sp?)

Tempted to 'accidentally' find them and have a couple of swigs.

If there's any left over I may send some down for you lot :cool:
A bigfooty party?

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

So I waited and it arrived!

I may have done this in the wrong order but I drank a bottle of riesling, then cracked the green ant gin and opened my bottle of Bombay Sapphire to compare.

My now-pristine taste buds tell me the green ant gin is very smooth and very citrusy. It has a sweeter edge and doesn't burn the nostrils when I give it a good ole sniff. There's another flavour I can't quite put my finger on.

The green ant is much easier to drink straight that's for sure.

I'd recommend :thumbsu: :cocktail:

So I waited and it arrived!

I may have done this in the wrong order but I drank a bottle of riesling, then cracked the green ant gin and opened my bottle of Bombay Sapphire to compare.

My now-pristine taste buds tell me the green ant gin is very smooth and very citrusy. It has a sweeter edge and doesn't burn the nostrils when I give it a good ole sniff. There's another flavour I can't quite put my finger on.

The green ant is much easier to drink straight that's for sure.

I'd recommend :thumbsu: :cocktail:
I think the smoothness of both our green ant gin comes from the limited edition release. They've put a lot of effort into these and it shows.

That flavour you can't put your finger on might be the strawberry gum leaf they've added.

Review of Australian Gin by Gourmet Traveller mag. Turns out they found about 30 different types of Aussie gin. You can read the article in the link provided, but if you can't be arsed their picks are below.
http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/drinks/drinks-features/2014/7/best-australian-gins/

Max Allen's top Australian gins
Classic Dry Gin: McHenry Classic Dry Gin
Best Australian Botanical Gin: Kis 'O' Gin
Flavoured and aged Gin: Bass and Flinders Monsoon Gin
Best Gin for a Martini: West Winds The Sabre
Best Gin for a Gin & Tonic: Dobson's Gin

Luke Ashton's top Australian gins
Classic Dry Gin: McHenry Classic Dry Gin
Best Australian Botanical Gin: Kis 'O' Gin
Flavoured and aged Gin: McHenry Old English Sloe Gin
Best Gin for a Martini: West Winds The Sabre
Best Gin for a Gin & Tonic: Dobson's Gin