Society/Culture The SRP Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say that mainstream music no longer caters to guitar/rock/beatle-esque band music tastes at all...

not doubting some male R&B gets promoted...(of which i am no fan of)

However rock/guitar music no longer exists in the mainstream at all, whatsoever, gone..

mainstream music is mediocre and narcissistic and is targeted to females and males in the worst kinds of ways in the 'sexy sells; kind of way...(some of it is ok)

strange era for pop music, really odd, it's basically overly corporate and degrades women and men.

It no longer exists just for musicianship first, it used to be that way in certain decades, and was also way more classy. I've studied this many times over the years.

Last edited:
I would say that mainstream music no longer caters to guitar/rock/beatle-esque band music tastes at all...

However rock/guitar music no longer exists in the mainstream at all, whatsoever, gone..

mainstream music is mediocre and narcissistic and is targeted to females and males in the worst kinds of ways in the 'sexy sells; kind of way...(some of it is ok)

strange era for pop music, really odd, it's basically overly corporate and degrades women and men.

It no longer exists just for musicianship first, it used to be that way in certain decades, and was also way more classy. I've studied this many times over the years.
Back in my day..

Back in my day..

It has zilch to do with age...(we are talking about the mainstream and not music in general.)

name me one song that has good musicianship, crafty playing and most importantly a great song, like what occurred back in the 1990s, when every 3rd or 4th single on the charts was from a good college band who became a great band who could write a half decent song and was signed before image/marketing overtook the song coming first..

these days its mostly sexy sells pop music that has a bad song behind the million dollar production values and is actually selling a marketed image for those things..

It degrades women and men both at the same time, as well as disrespecting people who actually follow and like good music....

It's nothing to do with age, it's more to do with common sense and being rational..

Name one good mainstream hit in the last two years and please don't give me the usual suspects..

If a major J. Bieber tour is the corporate hilight of the year in mainstream music, then it's just sad.

Last edited:
It has zilch to do with age...(we are talking about the mainstream and not music in general.)

name me one song that has good musicianship, crafty playing and most importantly a great song, like what occurred back in the 1990s, when every 3rd or 4th single on the charts was from a good college band who became a great band who could write a half decent song and was signed before image/marketing overtook the song coming first..

these days its mostly sexy sells pop music that has a bad song behind the million dollar production values and is actually selling a marketed image for those things..

It degrades women and men both at the same time, as well as disrespecting people who actually follow and like good music....

It's nothing to do with age, it's more to do with common sense and being rational..

Name one good mainstream hit in the last two years and please don't give me the usual suspects..

If a major J. Bieber tour is the corporate hilight of the year in mainstream music, then it's just sad.
You're acting as if this is an objective fact based on your subjective tastes.

You're acting as if this is an objective fact based on your subjective tastes.

well, i'd say its pretty close to the rational response of a music fan/musician in 2017..but anyway, that's just me from being aware of pop culture and also remembering past years..

anyway if i am wrong, you are more than willing to let me know why i am wrong with examples, because i could write a 5000 word essay on why i think i am near to being spot on the money!

name me 20 genuinely great songs on the mainstream from the past five to ten years and i'll name you close to one thousand from the 1990s to mid 2000s and i can assure you than not much these days comes even close to being memorable songs, or songs with longevity..

well, i'd say its pretty close to the rational response of a music fan/musician in 2017..but anyway, that's just me from being aware of pop culture and also remembering past years..

anyway if i am wrong, you are more than willing to let me know why i am wrong with examples, because i could write a 5000 word essay on why i think i am near to being spot on the money!

name me 20 genuinely great songs on the mainstream from the past five to ten years and i'll name you close to one thousand from the 1990s to mid 2000s and i can assure you than not much these days comes even close to being memorable songs, or songs with longevity..

I too am a child of the 90s.

My dad would say exactly the same thing about the music of that time lacking "genuinely great songs".

His dad probably told him the same thing about the music of the 70s.

My dad would say exactly the same thing about the music of that time lacking "genuinely great songs".

Again, this has nothing to do with age at all...

I have explained many times why music in the mainstream was actually better, even from an analytical point of you...

the simple reason is that far better songs were once promoted, they were classy and had more musicianship, i won't go into it any more than that...

Dude the charts have always been s**t.

90s wasnt just Nirvana and Pearl Jam. It was the ******* Vengaboys and Atomic Kitten.

Just be a hipster spanner who pretends to like listening to classical bullshit.

Add me in as a child of the 90's. I remember having this conversation with my parents one day. Not surprisingly, their parents, aka my grandparents, said the same thing about my parents music. I'm pretty sure I'll say the same thing about the music my kids listen to one day.

I have explained many times why music in the mainstream was actually better, even from an analytical point of you...

the simple reason is that far better songs were once promoted, they were classy and had more musicianship, i won't go into it any more than that...

"You just like me 'cos I'm in good in bed
Yeah that's what your girlfriend said..."

I can see where you're coming from but let's not pretend that "sex sells" is something that only the current generation of musicians subscribe to.

What, analytically, demonstrates this supposed shift in musical quality? Have you conducted a statistical analysis on chord progressions? Average length of words in the lyrics? Endorphin levels released when listening to the songs?

If there is some quantifiable, unbiased measure of a song "quality" I'd love to hear about it but I haven't yet. So I can only conclude that it's only a matter of opinion that every generation seems to think the best music ever made coincides with when they were between the ages of 12 and 20.

And if we're talking about the music industry today objectifying women to make a sale, well it didn't start with Rihanna and Katy Perry. It didn't even start with Madonna.

I agree with you in part, although I think your analysis is a little incorrect. There is no such thing as contemporary music - now that anyone can listen to anything via streaming and piracy, the value of contemporary music has diminished to nothing.

It's not just music, the movie industry is particularly bad. Most if not all blockbuster movies these days are either remakes or comic book adaptations. Eg the Star Wars franchise that never dies.

Dude the charts have always been s**t.

90s wasnt just Nirvana and Pearl Jam. It was the ******* Vengaboys and Atomic Kitten.

Just be a hipster spanner who pretends to like listening to classical bullshit.
I completely agree.

I'm sure in 20 years when people have moved past hip hop and indie music, I will say the same things about how music has deteriorated

Although, I wonder if the fact that people stop listening to new music at the age of 33 has anything to do with the romanticism of past music:

If you’re 33 or older, you will never listen to new music again—at least, that’s more or less what a new online study says. The study, which is based mainly on data from U.S. Spotify users, concludes that age 33 is when, on average, people stop discovering new music and begin the official march to the grave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you in part, although I think your analysis is a little incorrect. There is no such thing as contemporary music - now that anyone can listen to anything via streaming and piracy, the value of contemporary music has diminished to nothing.

It's not just music, the movie industry is particularly bad. Most if not all blockbuster movies these days are either remakes or comic book adaptations. Eg the Star Wars franchise that never dies.
Anybody now can upload their recorded songs into Youtube or put them up for sale on iTunes.

Anybody now can upload their recorded songs into Youtube or put them up for sale on iTunes.
That's part of the point.

In previous generations of music, movements coalesced around reasonably significant artists and musicians who represented the best of their genre or style. Music came bundled - in the form of albums and scenes.

Music evolved as a communal force - an artist would release something significant and others around them would respond in kind. The higher barriers to entry enabled this - not only was releasing music very difficult, but getting access to music was too. This kept consumption very limited to contemporary music, no matter the form, pop or otherwise, simply because the social cost of not knowing what was the in thing is way too high.

These days with music being near free and ubiquitous, there is no reason for people to consume stuff that is made today. They can choose music from any era.

These days when I talk to kids under the age of ~21, if they don't like modern pop music they'll generally say that they like music from before I was born. Or maybe say they're into Nirvana and Pixies, bands that were around while I was alive but slightly before my time.

Back in my day ... saying your favourite music was from a previous generation was dorky, unless it was a progenitor of a specific genre you were into, eg punk kids in the 90s liking Sex Pistols or The Clash. No one ever said their favourite band was something like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

Back in my day ... saying your favourite music was from a previous generation was dorky, unless it was a progenitor of a specific genre you were into, eg punk kids in the 90s liking Sex Pistols or The Clash. No one ever said their favourite band was something like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.
Back in the 90s Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were considered dinosaurs. But, funnily enough, my daughter who is 17 is really into those 2 bands as well as other dinosaurs such as Yes, the Stones and the Beatles.

Back in the 90s Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were considered dinosaurs. But, funnily enough, my daughter who is 17 is really into those 2 bands as well as other dinosaurs such as Yes, the Stones and the Beatles.
I tried to get into those bands when I was around that age a few years back but it was too hard. I'd rather listen to The Weeknd with lyrics like 'I done ****ed a bitch that bougie, have you ever ever ****ed a bitch that bougie'. It's good to hear that the bourgeois is being discussed in contemporaneous music.

I tried to get into those bands when I was around that age a few years back but it was too hard. I'd rather listen to The Weeknd with lyrics like 'I done ****** a bitch that bougie, have you ever ever ****** a bitch that bougie'. It's good to hear that the bourgeois is being discussed in contemporaneous music.
I'd argue it always has. There are some examples where artists have invented new forms of music but so many have always reached back into the past for inspiration.
Take the latest sensation - Adele. She's basically doing what Shirley Bassey was doing in the 1960s and Nana Mouskouri was doing in the 1970s, and the punters can't get enough of it nor buy enough of her CDs.

Johnny Cash rules this. Couldn't get arrested for most of the last couple of decades of the last century by the mainstream, teams up with Rick Rubin, and by the time he died he was the outlaw country godfather to us all.

Yeah, these days it costs nothing (in terms of social cost and money) to be into the Beatles, where as 20 years ago you probably either had to borrow music off someone older like your parents (lame) or buy the records yourself. And then you ran the risk of being the kid in school who listens to their parents music.

Likewise I can't imagine many kids in the 60s like Elvis or many kids in the 70s liked the Beatles. And so on.

As a music lover headed towards middle age, it's not that I think music was better in my day, it's that so many kids think exactly the same, and that they like music of my parent's generation.

Yeah, these days it costs nothing (in terms of social cost and money) to be into the Beatles, where as 20 years ago you probably either had to borrow music off someone older like your parents (lame) or buy the records yourself. And then you ran the risk of being the kid in school who listens to their parents music.

Likewise I can't imagine many kids in the 60s like Elvis or many kids in the 70s liked the Beatles. And so on.

As a music lover headed towards middle age, it's not that I think music was better in my day, it's that so many kids think exactly the same, and that they like music of my parent's generation.
Music my parents were into: Johnny Mathis and Shostakovich. I was going there as a teenager.

Music my parents were into: Johnny Mathis and Shostakovich. I was going there as a teenager.
I got the record collection in my parent's divorce, old Beatles, and Elvis 45's, Johnny Cash, Brubeck and Dylan albums. But more Cleo Laine than any man should own. Original vinyl of Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees too. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back