Society/Culture The SRP Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I tried to get into those bands when I was around that age a few years back but it was too hard. I'd rather listen to The Weeknd with lyrics like 'I done ****** a bitch that bougie, have you ever ever ****** a bitch that bougie'. It's good to hear that the bourgeois is being discussed in contemporaneous music.
The problem was not the music, but the way you have learned to listen to it.

If listening to Pink Floyd is "too hard" you are doing it all wrong.
Maybe our ridiculously over paced society is more to blame.

Seriously, have a nice dinner with your missus, a few drinks or a cone and then jump into bed with a decent sound system, turn off the lights and listen to any Pink Floyd album start to finish.
If you have never done this you should even have an opinion on music.

Amazingly this works with just about any real band which features artists who wrote their own music and lyrics.

Start with A and work your way to Z.

It's all on the web.

The problem was not the music, but the way you have learned to listen to it.

If listening to Pink Floyd is "too hard" you are doing it all wrong.
Maybe our ridiculously over paced society is more to blame.

Seriously, have a nice dinner with your missus, a few drinks or a cone and then jump into bed with a decent sound system, turn off the lights and listen to any Pink Floyd album start to finish.
If you have never done this you should even have an opinion on music.

Amazingly this works with just about any real band which features artists who wrote their own music and lyrics.

Start with A and work your way to Z.

It's all on the web.
I listened to the entire 'The Wall' when I was younger and it was okay, but it just never grabbed me. Admittedly there were a few songs that I did listen to maybe 10 or so times, but it just never became something that I wanted to delve deeper into. I imagine it'd probably be the same if you were to listen to Illmatic by Nas, or something alone those lines.

People like different things.

I listened to the entire 'The Wall' when I was younger and it was okay, but it just never grabbed me. Admittedly there were a few songs that I did listen to maybe 10 or so times, but it just never became something that I wanted to delve deeper into.
You need better buds

I listened to the entire 'The Wall' when I was younger and it was okay, but it just never grabbed me. Admittedly there were a few songs that I did listen to maybe 10 or so times, but it just never became something that I wanted to delve deeper into. I imagine it'd probably be the same if you were to listen to Illmatic by Nas, or something alone those lines.

Seriously.
I consider myself to be really well rounded musically.

I am not really a beginner.
AC/DC played at my 3rd Grade social.
Hush played at my 4th Grade social.
My brother is a professional musician. My mother worked in radio for 50 years. I have more tour "T" shirts than you have pores.
I've been backstage at Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Dire Straights, Neil Young, Nirvana, Kiss, Amy Grant, Pubic Image Limited, The Saints and I can't remember anymore because I'm drinking while posting, which is not that unusual. It's a long list...Dragon, Mental as Anything, The Sports, Aussie Crawl, Megan Washington,
I regularly support new Aussie talent like Jack River....have a look.
I've seen Kiss live. AC/DC in their prime live, the Boss, Africa, The Ramones, Pistols, the poet Paul Kelly, .
Rolling Stones, Kate's Bush, Beasty Boys, Living Colour, Angels, mixed for the Church, their lead singer is a mates son, played with The Jones's, drak heavily with the Oils, Peter Gifford is mate still, dined with Paul Kelly several times.

Seriously.

These are serious artists.
Kanye West is a person who has an internet presence.
He takes full advantage of the void which the current media creates by it's vastness.
Nothing more.
When you create more bandwidth you have to fill it with something.
That is exactly what West supplies.
An aural version of Backyard Hoarders.

This is what you accept as art.
If his nasal autotune crap survives a decade I will be shocked.

Seriously.

My brother is a professional musician. My mother worked in radio for 50 years. I have more tour "T" shirts than you have pores.
I've been backstage at Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Dire Straights, Neil Young, Nirvana, Kiss, Amy Grant, Pubic Image Limited, The Saints and I can't remember anymore because I'm drinking while posting, which is not that unusual. It's a long list...Dragon, Mental as Anything, The Sports, Aussie Crawl, Megan Washington,
I've seen Kiss live. AC/DC in their prime live, the Boss, Africa, The Ramones, Pistols, the poet Paul Kelly, .
Rolling Stones, Kate's Bush, Beasty Boys, Living Colour, Angels, mixed for the Church, their lead singer is a mates son, played with The Jones's, drak heavily with the Oils, Peter Gifford is mate still, dined with Paul Kelly several times.

Seriously.

He takes full advantage of the void which the current media creates by it's vastness.
Nothing more.

You need to accept that not everybody has to share your opinion. It's music. There's no need for you to act so condescendingly and offended at the same time.

You need to accept that not everybody has to share your opinion. It's music. There's no need for you to act so condescendingly and offended at the same time.
I am not asking anyone to just take my opinion.....
I am asking them to make a judgement based on the experience of actually listening.
I am really not asking anyone to do anything....I just have firm opinion that the bulk of commercial music is abject s**t but anyway......as it has always been.
Go to the following links....listen.

Serious talentless autotune s**t.
I can do this, literally....I have the software.
I just have not been on the fat arsed * Kardashian network.

Get back to me....

I am not asking anyone to just take my opinion.....
I am asking them to make a judgement based on the experience of actually listening.
I am really not asking anyone to do anything....I just have firm opinion that the bulk of commercial music is abject s**t but anyway......as it has always been.
Go to the following links....listen.

Serious talentless autotune s**t.
I can do this, literally....I have the software.
I just have not been on the fat arsed ****** Kardashian network.

Get back to me....

You're making arguments about autotune like it's still 2008/9, I don't think you've realised he's released three solo albums that have contained one song partly autotuned since then. You also chose some obscure song to intentionally choose the weakest song you could find.

With all due respect, I don't really care if you've met musicians or not. It doesn't change what I enjoy. If someone put AC/DC on at a party I'd probably cringe and walk out.

I guess we'll take the opinions of Springsteen, Elton John and Lou Reed that I posted earlier with a grain of salt because you once drank heavily with the Oils.

There's No Way out of Here
A bootleg.

If you can't kick back and enjoy the singularly best guitarist in the last 50 years...you have no soul musically.

David Gilmour
There's no way out of here
When you come in
You're in for good
There was no promise made
The part you played
The chance you took
There are no boundaries set
The time and yet
You waste it still
So it slips through your hands
Like grains of sand
You watch it go
There's no time to be lost
You'll pay the cost
So get it right
When you come in
You're in for good
There never was there an answer
There an answer
Not without listening
Without seeing
There are no answers here
When you look out
You don't see in
There was no promise made
The part you played
The chance you took
When you come in
You're in for good

There never was there an answer
There an answer
Not without listening
Without seeing
When you…

IF you don't get off on the main instrument of rock, guitar then you really have no idea about what Rock and Roll is and should stick to computer generated pop music kiddy s**t.

You're making arguments about autotune like it's still 2008/9, I don't think you've realised he's released three solo albums that have contained one song partly autotuned since then. You also chose some obscure song to intentionally choose the weakest song you could find.

With all due respect, I don't really care if you've met musicians or not. It doesn't change what I enjoy. If someone put AC/DC on at a party I'd probably cringe and walk out.

I guess we'll take the opinions of Springsteen, Elton John and Lou Reed that I posted earlier with a grain of salt because you once drank heavily with the Oils.
He lives and dies by auto tune.
As part of the company you get.
Part of the factory.

Last edited:
If he's so bad then why do those other artists have such high regard for his work?
They all have contracts with the same master.

Take that as you will.

I am not here for an argument. You may think so but there is none.
Average is average, Mediocre is what you accept.
It's your life and in the end you will have that to look back on when you're melancholy.
That is what music is....
I just fell sad for your generation.....those who have been duped.

You will be the only one who knows if I am right.

That said if you don't hook yourself up with some Pink Floyd and find something in it you're nuts.

At the end of the day it is ...only music...it's not like you're being raped by a priest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of unknowns having a bit of fun on youtube seems to have upset you

Btw they have done few others so I doubt this is their best

Actually I thought it was that pissant version disturbed came out with.

Why is Disturbed in the title? It's not their song. It's a classic with lyrics that have meaning...

I should say, for the most part I don't mind when new artists do sample or cover, It opens up younger people to older music - as long as they realise that.....

(But god I hate that Disturbed cover)

Seriously.

Seriously.

Nothing more.

:cool:

Seriously.

Seriously.

Nothing more.

Lost me at ac/dc, Fleetwood mac and dire straits. They are mainstream rock.

Tool, Opeth, Mars Volta, arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Shpongle, Nightwish, Dreamtheater is where it is at. They are real bands that play actual good music.

The Wall is pretty average. Bloated and overlong.

Echoes (the song, not the album), DSOTM, and Wish You Were Here is all you need.

Get back to me....

Not a big fan of Kanye but in my opinion his song is better than that boring, stale and derivative s**t you posted by Jack River.

If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. Don't get offended if no-one likes your favourite music. I don't give a damn if no-one
likes the stuff i like.

There's No Way out of Here
A bootleg.

If you can't kick back and enjoy the singularly best guitarist in the last 50 years...you have no soul musically.

David Gilmour

IF you don't get off on the main instrument of rock, guitar then you really have no idea about what Rock and Roll is and should stick to computer generated pop music kiddy s**t.
I see your David Gilmour and raise you Peter Greene

Nightwish,
Tarja or Floor?

Last edited:
Not a big fan of Kanye but in my opinion his song is better than that boring, stale and derivative s**t you posted by Jack River.

If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. Don't get offended if no-one likes your favourite music. I don't give a damn if no-one
likes the stuff i like.
And that's neglecting the fact that he chose a Kanye song that I'd never heard of, despite me owning every Kanye album. Couldn't have chosen a weaker song if tried (that's him being disingenuous though).

Not a big Kanye fan, but my teenage years (87-94) lined up pretty neatly with the golden age of hiphop and it continues to be the genre that I listen to most. Because sampling was everywhere in hiphop back then, it was also a gateway to first James Brown, and then lots more soul, R&B, funk, jazz, disco and reggae.

This was my favourite tune at the time I was graduating high school.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back