Mega Thread The SRP Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
And since we're apparently having a separate thread in SRP now, which of the following is a better political song?

- Born in the USA (Bruce Springsteen)
- Pride (In the Name of Love) (U2)

Fortunate Son by CCR is the greatest political song that I can think of.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Honestly hard to understand how anyone can hate on Taylor. She actually has musical and singing talent, while writing the vast majority of her songs. Now it might not be your taste of music, that's ok, but why would you hate? Save that for the next auto tuned barbie that some record company pumps out.

Dunno, you're probably right. But I can't listen to it.

She just comes across as a publicity whore and there are literally hundreds of more talented musicians out there who can't make a buck yet Swift, by virtue of a pretty face and a crack marketing arm is cleaning up,

It seems a bit off to me.

She just comes across as a publicity whore and there are literally hundreds of more talented musicians out there who can't make a buck yet Swift, by virtue of a pretty face and a crack marketing arm is cleaning up,

Such as? Just curious.

In the end music is subjective and if the more talented musician is not able to make a buck - well, them's the breaks. You cannot tell people what music to like and buy. Taylor Swift has also been one of the most prominent advocates of artists being able to keep the ownership of their masters - that act alone is beneficial to thousands of musicians now and in the future as they fight against their lack of power in record company deals.

Yes, I am aware I am fanboying for Taylor Swift at the moment.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs

When you say that you could easily be talking about Kanye West.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Such as? Just curious.

In the end music is subjective and if the more talented musician is not able to make a buck - well, them's the breaks. You cannot tell people what music to like and buy. Taylor Swift has also been one of the most prominent advocates of artists being able to keep the ownership of their masters - that act alone is beneficial to thousands of musicians now and in the future as they fight against their lack of power in record company deals.

Yes, I am aware I am fanboying for Taylor Swift at the moment.

Any half decent pub with live music has unfulfilled talent in spades mate.

If Taylor Swift was not pretty and marketable do you really think she stands out on her raw talent? Her stuff is overproduced and rather generic.

And the example of Kanye above is a point well made too.

Same here Gough.

My vote for best political song would be Fight the Power. But also love angry Nina Simone doing Mississippi Goddam.
I'd favour Sun City for the sole reason that Springsteen trading lines with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks from The Temptations is next level genius.

And since we're apparently having a separate thread in SRP now, which of the following is a better political song?

- Born in the USA (Bruce Springsteen)
- Pride (In the Name of Love) (U2)

Born in the USA, mostly because the nuffies completely miss the meaning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could there be a more political song than one addressed directly to the POTUS?

Dubya got under Nik Kershaw's skin in 2005.

He cut his teeth in Texas
That put him on the map
Fried more than Colonel Sanders
What an interesting chap

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now this is a good topic;

Rockin' in the free world - Neil Young
Gimme Shelter - Stones
Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog

Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire or The Jets?

One I love, but probably not to the taste of many (and I find the rest of their stuff 'meh' TBH) is:
Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire or The Jets?

One I love, but probably not to the taste of many (and I find the rest of their stuff 'meh' TBH) is:
Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks

Good Morning Britain by Aztec Camera (w/ Mick Jones). Plus a heap of stuff from The Clash for that matter.
Radio Free Europe and Orange Crush by REM are cracking political songs too.

Dubya got under Nik Kershaw's skin in 2005.

He cut his teeth in Texas
That put him on the map
Fried more than Colonel Sanders
What an interesting chap

Bush had a few songs about him - including Audioslave's 'wide awake' on the hurricane Katrina response

Curveball ones are my favs

like Last Train to Clarkesville by the Monkees. A song about a dude shipping out to Vietnam isnt what you expect from a constructed pop band

Curveball ones are my favs

like Last Train to Clarkesville by the Monkees. A song about a dude shipping out to Vietnam isnt what you expect from a constructed pop band
A couple of Aussie war protest songs of the era were Smiley by Ronnie Burns and Rachel by Russell Morris.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back